Kingpin t-shirts taken from vendor area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kingpin t-shirts taken from vendor area

During the Closing Ceremonies, an entire box of t-shirts that I created for the Kingpin Empire charity (www.kingpinempire.com) was pilfered in the Vendor Area. Very lame and unexpected at something like DEFCON. The fewer shirts I have to sell, the less money will end up going to EFF, ACLU, Hackers for Charity, and other places we donate to.

Not that I expect anything to come from this post, but if you did happen to take one of the ~50 shirts, please consider donating some money to the cause (PayPal to payup@kingpinempire.com or contact me directly)

Thanks,

Joe

Re: Kingpin t-shirts taken from vendor area

Very fucking lame. Not only does that show a complete lack of respect for Kingpin, but for DEFCON, all those who work their asses off to make it happen for us, and the community as a whole. I wasn't involved in it, but I'll donate the price of at least one shirt. How much were they going for, KP?
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
      Very fucking lame. Not only does that show a complete lack of respect for Kingpin, but for DEFCON, all those who work their asses off to make it happen for us, and the community as a whole. I wasn't involved in it, but I'll donate the price of at least one shirt. How much were they going for, KP?
      I was selling shirts for $20 each and all the cash, minus the cost of the shirt (~$7) goes straight to the charities.

Joe

Comment

that sucks, sorry to hear it joe. here's hoping someone does the right thing.
        - Null Space Labs

Comment

If someone indeed stole the shirts, that is just not cool. It doesn't even make sense.

Is it possible another vendor grabbed the box inadvertently? I have no idea what happened, but it could be just a mistake.
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
            If someone indeed stole the shirts, that is just not cool. It doesn't even make sense.

Is it possible another vendor grabbed the box inadvertently? I have no idea what happened, but it could be just a mistake.
            I'll let Joe provide whatever details he wants, but no, they were definitely stolen.
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
              I'll let Joe provide whatever details he wants, but no, they were definitely stolen.
              I didn't know the details, I was just guessing. But yeah, that does suck. Whatever dirtbag stole them should be keelhauled.

Sorry to hear it, Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post

No, another vendor didn't grab the box inadvertently.

I've received a few private messages from people who have acknowledged that they took large quantities of the shirts, apparently because a Goon told them they were free. I'd be interested in finding out what Goon that was and why he/she would say that.

I'll post another update once I finish verifying the details of the various people who have sent me mail.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Kingpin View Post
                  No, another vendor didn't grab the box inadvertently.

I've received a few private messages from people who have acknowledged that they took large quantities of the shirts, apparently because a Goon told them they were free. I'd be interested in finding out what Goon that was and why he/she would say that.

I'll post another update once I finish verifying the details of the various people who have sent me mail.

Joe
                  Thanks for the update. Props to those people who did contact you about taking the shirts. Hopefully it will all work out.

Comment

What!?! How fucking horrid!

I found that this was a really strange year for crap like this. I saw a lot of shit that happened this year that I have never experienced in any of my previous years. There seemed to be this 'fuck defcon up' vibe from restless attendees that was really deeply upseting me.

I am so sorry about the shirts Joe. That really sucks no matter what way to slice it.

Comment

Alright, I want to thank everyone who responded to me both publicly and privately about the missing shirts. I've been paid for single shirts that individuals had taken, one large quantity of shirts that was taken by another vendor has been sent back, I'm waiting for another quantity from another person who would like to remain anonymous, and I've also received some extra donation money. I'm grateful for everyone's honesty and integrity and my faith in humanity has somewhat been restored.

I've received multiple reports from completely different people confirming the same story and there was clearly some permission given by a Goon that the shirts were "free" and could be taken. There was also confusion about when the Vendor Area was officially closed and when Goon security could be released (and those two times did not match). Yes, maybe I shouldn't have taken on so many projects and left the boxes there until after closing ceremonies, but why I wasn't contacted is beyond me, considering every shirt had my name on it and the booth was clearly still set up (complete with fliers describing the goals of this project) and not abandoned.

We may never know the answer, but at least people at fault know who they are, whether they choose to admit it or not. Anyway, I consider the issue resolved and, unfortunately, will just have to be more careful in the future.

-kp

Comment

http://securitytribe.com/defcon/vendor-FAQ.txt

7) What hours will the Vendor Area be open?
                        The Vendor Area will close one hour after closing ceremonies on Sunday.

8) If I am not at my booth when the Vendor Area opens, who will watch it?
                        No one. You are responsible for any merchandise in your area while the Vendor Area is open.
                        --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
                          http://securitytribe.com/defcon/vendor-FAQ.txt

7) What hours will the Vendor Area be open?
                          The Vendor Area will close one hour after closing ceremonies on Sunday.
                          That's funny, because my items were taken DURING closing ceremonies and if you had read this whole thread, you would have seen me mention that in my FIRST post. I returned to the Vendor Area immediately after the closing ceremonies and almost all the booths were broken down. I have already been told by Roamer that there was confusion as to when the Vendor Area was really closing. Maybe they didn't read your FAQ.

8) If I am not at my booth when the Vendor Area opens, who will watch it?
                          No one. You are responsible for any merchandise in your area while the Vendor Area is open.
                          Of course, but does that mean people can just come and take shit from tables that don't belong to them? I don't think so.

Next time, you might want to write something constructive to help solve the problem instead of pointing me to irrelevant FAQ answers.

Joe

Comment

Yes, clearly the Vendor FAQ linked from defcon.org and maintained by defcon staff is irrelevant.
                            --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
                              Yes, clearly the Vendor FAQ linked from defcon.org and maintained by defcon staff is irrelevant.
                              We can argue all you want, but the point is that items were taken from the Vendor Area (that have since been returned) from a booth that was clearly still set up, during the time when the Vendor Area was SUPPOSED to be open (though some booths were being broken down), and a GOON told people it was OK to take my items. I don't think I'm the only person who sees a problem here.

Joe
                              Last edited by Kingpin; September 15th, 2009, 15:01. Reason: Typo!

Comment

Working...
                              X