Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illegal to secretly read RFID identification tags in california

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    No. Not from what is written above. There is no mention of intent to to do harm or use the information in an illegal way. The law, as written, appears to me to only have the following conditions:
    1) Suspect reads RFID from someone remotely
    2) That RDIF data is used in conjunction with other data to establish a person's identity
    3) The reading of this data is done without the knowledge AND prior consent of the person that has the RFID information.

I guess they are going to have to hang signs on RFID readers at doorways. Stating something to the effect that by entering this area you are giving said owner of the RFID access control reader your consent to be scanned. Also, that any information scanned may be used to identify you.

Slippery slope anyone....?

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Personally, nothing RFID I carry is getting scanned without me pulling it out, as I'm sure is the case with most of us. I doubt this is the case with most people. I know a guy who thinks wrapping his credit card in a $5 bill will keep it shielded, not a $1, not a $10, it has to be a $5, there's no convincing him otherwise. The potential for the general populous to be scanned without their knowledge or consent is there. The materials and knowledge for an identity thief are there and readily accessible.

The question is: Is this law, or any similar laws protecting anyone? I say no. A dedicated thief will do what he/she does. The only real recourse against RFID based theft is going to be refinement. Who knows? maybe 5-10 years down the road, maybe we'll be at a point when an RFID credit card or state/federal ID is a.) worth having, and b.) safe for your average Joe to carry without it wrapped in a specific bank note or Faraday-esque device. But until then, all we can do is as much research and refinement to the technology as possible. Like most things, it needs to be broken time and time again until it gets fixed. I just hope that it doesn't take RFID based identity theft to be come as commonplace as desperate emails from exiled Nigerian royalty to make it happen.
      "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

This is like throwing a steak in front of a dog and saying "don't touch."

Comment

This thread has inspired an idea, for anyone willing to build it.

A RFID reader detector. A little device you could carry with you to let you know when someone is attempting to read RFID tags.
          A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post

A RFID reader detector. A little device you could carry with you to let you know when someone is attempting to read RFID tags.
            That's just an RF detector for the appropriate frequencies. The trouble is that some of the frequencies are so widely used, you're apt to get a huge amount of false positives.
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
              That's just an RF detector for the appropriate frequencies. The trouble is that some of the frequencies are so widely used, you're apt to get a huge amount of false positives.
              That's fine, then it'll be targeted to the ignorant. Sell it to the same people that buy things like the flowbee, or sign up for that identity theft protection.
              A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post

Check out the ToorCamp badge.

http://ossmann.blogspot.com/2009/07/...e-hacking.html

Comment

Working...
                X