Mock Interview Questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mock Interview Questions?

I'm doing some mock interviews at a local college. I'm looking for suggestions for great/useful interview question. If you have some that you use, or have been used on you I'd love to hear them.
    AMFYOYO

Re: Mock Interview Questions?

Ever see Clockwork Orange? Remember the question the guard asks Malcolm McDowell during the strip search when he's being committed to jail and he's looking up his ass with a flashlight? That's the question, in the same tone the guard used you should be asking.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

This question started someone as a joke, but we started asking it of interviewees just to get them thinking outside the box. I sometimes ask them that if I placed a (powered off) laptop in front of them and returned in 30 minutes, what would they do to find out as much as possible about the laptop and what is on it? Of course there is no right or wrong answer, but I am curious to see what they know, and what they come up with. Obviously this is more directed to IT/security users.
      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Who shot first, Han or Greedo? This was actually asked to me during an interview.

An oldie, helpdesk tickets are consistently coming in from from a marketing rep for password resets, more than 5 per month. What is the best course of action? This question helps to determine the potential employee's temperament, What is the first thing that comes to his or her mind to deal with an annoying situation.

My answer was "Can I brand it on their forearm?" When the interviewer didn't smile, I rephrased with "I'd help them come up with a password that meets the company's criteria, but is easy to remember for them." Didn't get that job...

Anyway, also specific to IT/helpdesk work, but can easily be adapted for any workforce.
        "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
          Who shot first, Han or Greedo? This was actually asked to me during an interview.

An oldie, helpdesk tickets are consistently coming in from from a marketing rep for password resets, more than 5 per month. What is the best course of action? This question helps to determine the potential employee's temperament, What is the first thing that comes to his or her mind to deal with an annoying situation.

My answer was "Can I brand it on their forearm?" When the interviewer didn't smile, I rephrased with "I'd help them come up with a password that meets the company's criteria, but is easy to remember for them." Didn't get that job...

Anyway, also specific to IT/helpdesk work, but can easily be adapted for any workforce.
          My answer to that has always been, "I'll change their password to something that's a little easier to remember: I'madumbassthatcannotrememberasimplepassword".
          A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent X View Post
            I'm doing some mock interviews at a local college. I'm looking for suggestions for great/useful interview question. If you have some that you use, or have been used on you I'd love to hear them.
            Respectfully, you did not specify for what types of work positions you are conducting mock interviews. Perhaps if you narrow it down we can be more helpful.

Regards,

valkyrie
            __________________________________________________ ___
            sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Agent X View Post
              I used to like to ask what work the interviewee would be doing if they weren't trying for a position (in whatever they were interviewing for). Shows skill in answering, and how much they're going to try to tell you things they think will please you, rather than the truth.

I also asked what group projects they'd worked on, and who the lead on those projects was. If the answer was <b>always</b> the interviewee, I considered it noteworthy. This is something that can branch out, and gives solid evidence for teamwork (or lack of it). Not everyone is a good team player, of course, but then, not every position requires it.

I hate the "tell us a bad thing about yourself" style of questions, and have looked someone in the eye, and asked whether answering it is important. If they say yes, I walk away (I don't want to work there). I don't find the answers to that style to be useful, and it just adds stress to what is already a stressful situation. I have never used them.

I imagine you've already got the technical side down, but I do like to ask questions about the resume. In some cases, I will tell the interviewee that I was too rushed to read it thoroughly, and ask what the important parts are. The answers here are very useful, and often show up places where there has been some "inflation" of skills or experience.

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
                I used to like to ask what work the interviewee would be doing if they weren't trying for a position (in whatever they were interviewing for). Shows skill in answering, and how much they're going to try to tell you things they think will please you, rather than the truth.

I also asked what group projects they'd worked on, and who the lead on those projects was. If the answer was <b>always</b> the interviewee, I considered it noteworthy. This is something that can branch out, and gives solid evidence for teamwork (or lack of it). Not everyone is a good team player, of course, but then, not every position requires it.

I hate the "tell us a bad thing about yourself" style of questions, and have looked someone in the eye, and asked whether answering it is important. If they say yes, I walk away (I don't want to work there). I don't find the answers to that style to be useful, and it just adds stress to what is already a stressful situation. I have never used them.

I imagine you've already got the technical side down, but I do like to ask questions about the resume. In some cases, I will tell the interviewee that I was too rushed to read it thoroughly, and ask what the important parts are. The answers here are very useful, and often show up places where there has been some "inflation" of skills or experience.
                Shrdlu, thank you. Nice insight and you have given to me several new interviewing tools.

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

I got a question for you that my answer guaranteed I wouldn't get the job because I was nervous and I answered it stupidly. Take a piece of software they say they are familiar with on their resume, say... some sort of anti-virus or freeware tool on the internets and say "There is of a policy in place that disallows you from using any tool that wasn't approved by management. Say you are in a situation and you KNOW, you KNOW for a FACT that [INSERT TOOL'S NAME HERE] will fix the problem, what do you do?"

The answer to my question was "I wouldn't use it........... unless I got to know the manager really well" :x The reason I answered it that way is because there was awkward silence and the job was worth $50,000 a year so I was nervous.
                  "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
                    I got a question for you that my answer guaranteed I wouldn't get the job because I was nervous and I answered it stupidly. Take a piece of software they say they are familiar with on their resume, say... some sort of anti-virus or freeware tool on the internets and say "There is of a policy in place that disallows you from using any tool that wasn't approved by management. Say you are in a situation and you KNOW, you KNOW for a FACT that [INSERT TOOL'S NAME HERE] will fix the problem, what do you do?"

The answer to my question was "I wouldn't use it........... unless I got to know the manager really well" :x The reason I answered it that way is because there was awkward silence and the job was worth $50,000 a year so I was nervous.
                    Normally I'd trim anything I was going to answer, but in this case, it may be informative to someone looking at this, so I'm leaving it.

A correct answer here is as follows:

"I would write a small justification for why I thought the tool should be used in just this one case, making very sure that I had first verified that nothing else would do [which is actually unlikely], and send an email to my direct supervision. If there was no answer, or if it was denied, then that would end it."

If asked further, statements about going outside the chain of command are useful here. I should add that, in general, your employers will ban tools for their own reasons, and like it or not, those bans must be honored.

Comment

Working...
                    X