DEFCON 18 Shoot information thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFCON 18 Shoot information thread

Welcome, one and all... i'm happy to announce that the newly revived DEFCON Shoot will indeed be happening again just prior to DC 18.

Everyone seemed to really like the location, so we'll likely be back there again. Thursday morning will be the same time, just as in years past.

This year i have many of my friends from other countries who have expressed interest in coming to the DC-Shoot, and i think on some level it could be a really amazing outreach type project... where if you have a guest who can show citizenship from a nation that isn't gun-friendly, they can try out your firearms simply for the cost of ammo.

Heh... someone wanna work up a mock-UN type flag that features firearms? Having a small one of them near your shooting station could signify your willingness to be an Ambassador of Gun Goodwill to our international guests.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: DEFCON 18 Shoot information thread

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    Heh... someone wanna work up a mock-UN type flag that features firearms?
    I think this would be funny purely for the irony.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

My photoshop skills suck, but here's a rough idea for someone (who is actually good with it) to consider http://i49.tinypic.com/2s121c9.png I call it World PIECE Initiative.
      "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

Comment

Originally posted by AgentDarkApple View Post
        here's a rough idea
        i really like the idea of the rounds being used as opposed to the leaves around the edges. yeah, i can totally work with that. let's see who comes up with what... could be the new DC-Shoot logo.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

My photoshop skills suck, but here's a rough idea for someone (who is actually good with it) to consider http://i49.tinypic.com/2s121c9.png I call it World PIECE Initiative.
          That. Is. Awesome!
          "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Nice.

Instead of the AN94 on the left, put the AK47 there and put a FN FAL on the right, since the FN FAL was "the right arm of the free world".
            “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Originally posted by Quiet View Post
              Nice.

Instead of the AN94 on the left, put the AK47 there and put a FN FAL on the right, since the FN FAL was "the right arm of the free world".
              Even better! I can't wait to see how the better-looking version turns out if they use this idea.
              "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

Comment

Great rough, Apple. If you don't mind, I'd like to pass it along to some cohorts who are much more adept at shooping than myself. And Deviant, awesome idea.
                "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

I am *SO* there. It may mean smuggling some "dangerous" weapons through California after con before heading back east, but half of my car is banned in that state anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
                    Great rough, Apple. If you don't mind, I'd like to pass it along to some cohorts who are much more adept at shooping than myself. And Deviant, awesome idea.
                    Sure, go for it

Comment

Originally posted by Wing View Post
                      I am *SO* there. It may mean smuggling some "dangerous" weapons through California after con before heading back east, but half of my car is banned in that state anyway.
                      1. talking about interstate firearms crimes on the DEFCON forums is probably not the smartest thing a person could do

2. are you quite certain that you'd be breaking the law? remember, if your route home from DEFCON is something like "drive with some buddies westward through california where i am then catching a flight to the east coast" you are allowed to have non-CA-legal firearms with you, provided you keep them locked an unloaded.

3. for the purposes of none of us getting into any sort of hot water, and for the DEFCON Shoot to not be a party to anyone's illicit plans, maybe it's best if you confirm for us that point #2 was actually your plan. wasn't it?

4. what about your vehicle makes the politicos in CA unhappy? height, emissions, volume, or other?
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                        1. talking about interstate firearms crimes on the DEFCON forums is probably not the smartest thing a person could do

2. are you quite certain that you'd be breaking the law? remember, if your route home from DEFCON is something like "drive with some buddies westward through california where i am then catching a flight to the east coast" you are allowed to have non-CA-legal firearms with you, provided you keep them locked an unloaded.

3. for the purposes of none of us getting into any sort of hot water, and for the DEFCON Shoot to not be a party to anyone's illicit plans, maybe it's best if you confirm for us that point #2 was actually your plan. wasn't it?

4. what about your vehicle makes the politicos in CA unhappy? height, emissions, volume, or other?
                        Funny, I wrote that message twice - once in the version I posted (which was totally not serious in any way) and once explaining that there's still plenty of time to change my plans to be legal and above board. Apparently I posted the wrong one. *fail*

Sorry about that. The Internets caught me acting like an asshole.

It's not so much illegal kit anyway as "I really don't want to be have to explain to the CHP that yes, I am allowed to have item x because I'm in transit" - and I'd be farting around in CA for a few weeks before driving back east anyway.

I figure I'll just drive to Defcon, turn around, bring the car (and guns) home and fly back west. Silly, but effective (and cheaper than a stack of fines)

I'm really not sure what the hell the problem with CA is - but every single time I'm there, I get stopped for something on the far side of the "This is retarded, nobody in real states cares about that" line. I actually bought my car in CA, and drove it out of the state (perfectly legally) - it didn't stop me from having to spend half an hour on the side of I-15 explaining how the process of buying a car in California for registration elsewhere works and why the computer had no record of the sale and that no, I'm not a car thief.

As for the car...

It's now missing several "major" exhaust components and there's a pretty comprehensive electronics kit, including several items that are outright banned in California and several that are "illegal in the furtherance of a crime". Oh, and window tint. The only thing that would make it even more of a pain to use in that state is if it had a vegetable garden and ferret cage in the trunk.
                        Last edited by Wing; December 8, 2009, 18:50.

Comment

Hey all,

Last year was my first Defcon shoot and it was amazing, made more so by the people there. I'm one of the "furiners" i.e. not a US citizen, so having people let me see their firearms and shoot was extremely cool. The shirt is now definitely one of my favourites.
                          I'll be back again, any maybe I can mock up some ballistic gel targets or something. I want to contribute and I'll try to do so as constructively as possible.

Rhenium

Comment

Originally posted by Rhenium View Post
                            Last year was my first Defcon shoot and it was amazing, made more so by the people there.
                            awe, thank you so much for coming. let there be no mistaking, you were one of those amazing people whose presence made the shoot that much more terrific.

The shirt is now definitely one of my favourites.
                            heh, i'll have to get cracking on the new design for this year.

maybe I can mock up some ballistic gel targets or something.
                            one word of caution (or advice) on that... i am somewhat certain that "proper" ballistics gel melts or otherwise becomes difficult to use in hot weather. sometimes store-bought Jell-O food product is more stable.

in truth, going with the "wet phone books" type system or just store-bought melons is the best and easiest solution in the desert.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

My crack at the flag: http://evanbooth.com/defcon_shoot.jpg

Looking forward to July — first DEFCON and first DEFCON Shoot!

Comment

Working...
                              X