brand new "how to" video for Beer Can Padlock Shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brand new "how to" video for Beer Can Padlock Shims

so, this is a topic that's been beaten to death in the Lockpick Village over the years, but it never ceases to amaze me that every time i am at a con and someone does my "beer can padlock shim" trick there's always a handful of folk who either say "gosh, that's a lot easier than the way i try to make them" or even "holy shit! i've never seen that before, do it again!"

so, in the spirit of clarifying the manifold and varied information on the subject that's out there, i shot a little instructional video footage the other day when i was filming other content for future talks and publications and such. the results of my efforts were longer than 10 minutes total (i wanted to go into lots of little-heard details that don't often get discussed in other online guides) so i have split the video in half and posted it to YouTube here...

... i'd love some feedback or other information, etc. this is a rough version, if the video becomes incorporated into some future work published by Syngress or someone else, i'd love to clean it up some more. thus, let me know what works and what doesn't.

enjoy!
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: brand new "how to" video for Beer Can Padlock Shims

heh, to answer some possible questions that may arise sooner rather than later...

1. yeah, the sound quality blows, and i know. my camera's crappy built-in mic makes everyone sound like they speak with a slurred, sibilant "S" sound in all words, even words that don't contain that consonant.

2. i realize for next time i should work on a more stabilized table, heh... this one is a temporary table we put up in the living room to wrap x-mas presents.

3. i was torn on the topic of editing out the failed attempt at first... does it make things look more "real" and clearly not faked, or does it just eat up 20 seconds of time needlessly?

4. for all world-travelers out there, sorry but the SIM card holder in my wallet does not exist for retail purchase... Babak made two of them custom on the MetaLab's new lazzor when we were in Austria last month.

5. no, Niel Strauss didn't contact TOOOL (or anyone else in the sport picking community, as far as i can tell) to ask about this technique... hence, his book recommends the "two cut" system which i feel is not as strong. still, it's pretty cool to see my basic design included in that text, heh.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Personally, I know squat about lockpicking, so I thought that was really cool. The only "lockpicking" I've done was breaking into my dad's filing cabinet with a paperclip when I was about 5 to steal highlighters, sharpies, and M&Ms

As for feedback on the actual video, I think including the fail moment is a good thing, as most people are likely to encounter a few snags when they first try this. Knowing that someone like you who does this all the time still occasionally runs into problems will make them not feel so lame if it takes them a few tries to get it right. I do think the sound quality is a bit icky, but since you have such clear diction, it wasn't really an issue.
      "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

Comment

"If you're not into beer, I don't know why, but..."

Ya know, I used someone's cut shim in the village at HOPE two years ago, but somehow have never gotten around to cutting my own. I have five cans on the desktop and a micra...all I'm missing is a padlock...

Mel
        Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Melesse View Post
          Ya know, I used someone's cut shim in the village at HOPE two years ago...
          Hmmm, I didn't realize you were there.

Originally posted by Melesse View Post
          all I'm missing is a padlock...l
          Three bucks at the local hardware store, and you can start learning.
          Thorn
          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I'm quiet and shy. It happens. I have a number at home, but am currently in Tennessee for work. Actually, we have a bunch at the job site, so I guess I'll be taking my micra and a can or two to work.

Mel
            Secretary

Comment

It is the original Joy Juice, why take substitutes? If you end up cleaning it up, the 2 things I'd think about aside from the audio quality would be zooming in tighter when you are demonstrating the retention mechanism, and replacing you drawing out the grid with an animation. Definitely keep the fail town in there, not only does it demo it's all reality, but it also demonstrates that even though it is a fairly simple process, it's not always going to work on the first go. As for being in detail, I think you did a great job. Then again, I'm familiar with the process. I'll have a few friends and coworkers check it out and have them try it and let you know the results from a newbie's perspective.
              "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
                It is the original Joy Juice, why take substitutes?
                you said it, brother.

zooming in tighter when you are demonstrating the retention mechanism
                yeah... sadly, that's one of the biggest fails in YouTube video land, trying to zoom or get close to the camera in when it doesn't auto-focus, all it does is make for a blurry shot. i'll work on additional footage from close-up, etc... but this was considered.

replacing you drawing out the grid with an animation
                yeah, i should do that. i still might. gracias.

I'll have a few friends and coworkers check it out and have them try it and let you know the results from a newbie's perspective.
                thanks! i look forward to hearing the results.
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

D.O,

I've never picked a locked. Honestly, I've never been interested. I've been to the last 2 CONS and simply walked through the Lock picking Village -- probably on my way back to the ABC store for more brew.

However, after watching your 15 minutes of "beer cans for idiots" clips, I think I'll give it a try! :surprised

And, yes, I think you'll have another noob at the LPV next summer!

I'm going to show the clips and provide some locks to my students next semester in our DEFCON class.
                  Last edited by Club81; December 14, 2009, 09:41.

Comment

Working...
                  X