Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beating a Dead Horse (Moved from: Viruses, DDos's and then what ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating a Dead Horse (Moved from: Viruses, DDos's and then what ?)

Don't know if I am beating a dead horse here but won't there always be room for improvment in the realm of mitigating botnet DDos attacks? The low end attacks yeilded by kids aren't much of a threat to a well implemented security package (IDS,IPS,ETC), but the cost of creating products to detect and mitigate the damage done by the more advanced bots is relativly astounding(given that the vast majority of products are aimed at detecting infections, securing sensitive data, and eliminating virus payloads, while not actually targeting the root problem). I think the UCSB botnet hi-jack is a testamet to the evolving nature of the feild and increased need and community awareness and acceptance of the botnet threat as being an "epidemic". I do not think it would be entirly out of the question if more funding were to be allocated to offensive strikes against the larger c&c servers, or at least to developing the technologies for launching such offensives. Doing research in the feild of statistics, it is really sad to see how much money has to be spent to yeild slighty better results than previous products in comparison to the amount of funding required to acomplish anything worth while. It is even more saddening to realize that the "opponent" is usually about seventeen" and pissed off about having his "skillz" called into question. I really don't think IT people have anything to worry about, the world will always need consultants, if not in the U.S than in countries where the rate of infection is insane due to piracy, lack of patching, and addiction to Windows. Happy Hollidays
    OpenBSD for the functional paranoid... Live only kernels for the nonfunctional one

Re: Viruses, DDos's and then what ?

Originally posted by RTKsbox35 View Post
    Don't know if I am beating a dead horse here

Considering you necroed a 5 year old thread....
    Originally posted by Ellen
    Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Re: Viruses, DDos's and then what ?

Originally posted by RTKsbox35 View Post
      Don't know if I am beating a dead horse here ...
      Please do not add to threads that are this old. This is covered in the The Rules.

Primary Rule 2:
      2. Repetitive Topics:
      Before starting a new thread, search for related threads. If you find none, then consider starting a new thread. (If mods can find one that you didn't, they won't be happy.) The value of content you provide to existing threads should be proportional to the age of the thread.
      Secondary Rule 7:
      7. Old Threads:
      This is covered above and is covered here too: check the date on a thread before replying. Don't bother replying to old (i.e. over a month old) threads unless you have something of value to add.
      While your post may have some value, it is not sufficient to revive a five year old thread.

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
      Considering you necroed a 5 year old thread....
      Please don't add to the problem. To help, please report such posts using the Report Post button. The Report Post button is the "!" icon, located to the lower left on each post. Thank you.
      Thorn
      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Working...
      X