$140 is still a CRAZY bargain!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $140 is still a CRAZY bargain!!!

Who's with me? No biggie that DT and crew jacked the badge up $20 to $140. What DEFCON provides for that miniscule price is still far and away the best deal you can get for security content. Unfortunately, I've been to gatherings that charge 4x and 5x that amount and I'm left with a bag full of poo (at best). I've only gone to CON 16 & 17, but I've been BLOWN AWAY with the content, the people, the competitions, the friendly vibe, etc.....

As far as the "No Drama Badge" goes -- is it possible that there'll be two badges? One badge in the mold of the hackable/configurable badge that some crave? And then a paper/plasctic badge that some want just for admission? Perhaps. I, for one, like the crazy-ass badges. I'll never hack them, but I like that they aren't the run-of-the-mill badge that everybody else uses. Sign me up for the Johnny5-like badge!!!!

Re: $140 is still a CRAZY bargain!!!

Originally posted by Club81 View Post
    Unfortunately, I've been to gatherings that charge 4x and 5x that amount and I'm left with a bag full of poo (at best).
    If you come and visit me, I'll give you a bag full of poo for half that price. ;)
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

$140 is a good price. Stop drinking Starbucks for a month, and you can probably afford to not only pay for Defcon 18, but [also] eliminate the U.S. National debt.
      Last edited by TheCotMan; January 14, 2010, 20:00.

Comment

No doubt there will be the usual bitching that occurs anytime a price goes up. And no doubt that this is unavoidable.
        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

I am fine with this amount. And two badges would also be fine with me. Have the Goons had much trouble with fake badges in the past? I am wondering if this might open DefCon up to more badge faking? If at all?

Comment

I agree. $140 seems reasonable for a hacker convention. It seems to be a fair price. Not really overpriced at all. More than many cons, but less than many others.

Hope 2009
            When: 2009
            Cost: was $80 at the door.

Open Source Bridge
            When: 17-19 June 2009, Portland, Oregon
            Cost: $175 by March 31, $250 after ($99 for students)

GPN8
            When: 26.06 - 28.06.2009
            Cost: DonationWare

Hacker Space Fest #2 (HSF2009)
            When: 26-30 June 2009, Paris, France
            Cost: DonationWare

NeighborCon
            When: June 27th & 28th 2009, Knoxville, Tennessee, US
            Cost: will be minimal, just twenty or thirty bucks toward the belt buckles and the bar tab

Summer Camp Garrotxa + Volcànica 2009
            Cost: SCG brought forward 10€ / entrace 15€ || volcànica (with non laptop computer) brought forward 15€ / entrace 20€

Cosin 2009
            Cost: 10 CHF (~7€)

Hacking at Random (HAR) 2009
            Cost: 155 euro (early bird rate)

FRHACK
            When: Sept 07th-08th (trainings: 09th-11th) 2009, Besancon, France
            Cost: 100 - 150 EUR

BruCon
            When: 18-19 Sep 2009, Brussels, Belgium
            Cost: 50-300 Euro

Roboexotica
            (end Nov/early Dec 2009), Vienna, Europe
            Cost: free entry

PhreakNIC 12
            (was $25 last year)

HackCon #5
            When: Feb. 03rd-04th 2010, Oslo
            Cost: 150 SKR

Resource: http://www.houstonhackerspace.com/wiki/index.php/Events

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
              No doubt there will be the usual bitching that occurs anytime a price goes up. And no doubt that this is unavoidable.
              Surprisingly, I have seen only one negative comment from some troll on twitter since the announcement. I was expecting a flurry of dissent.

Comment

I'm with the OP. $5 extra a day is still the best bargain around.

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
                  Surprisingly, I have seen only one negative comment from some troll on twitter since the announcement. I was expecting a flurry of dissent.
                  It's early, give it time.

Comment

Until it hits $250 I'm perfectly ok with the price. People may bitch about it, but they are still going to come...bitching is a part of hacker DNA.

I am pumped because that extra $20 will probably keep shortages from happening.
                    The dude abides.

Comment

It says that there is no pre-reg but does Black Hat 2010 vegas admission still include DC18??

Comment

Originally posted by slimm609 View Post
                        It says that there is no pre-reg but does Black Hat 2010 vegas admission still include DC18??
                        You get a voucher for $100 off of DC18 admission when you register for BH 2010 Briefings. This was the deal for BH DC 2010. You still have to get in line in the Riv with $40 cash instead of the full $140.

Comment

Originally posted by slimm609 View Post
                          This year it won't include the full cost of DEF CON, but instead a 100$ discount. DEF CON has only ever been reimbursed that amount per attendee, and last year I ate the difference for everyone.. not making that decision twice!
                          PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                            $140 is a good price. Stop drinking Starbucks for a month, and you can probably afford to not only pay for Defcon 18, but [also] eliminate the U.S. National debt.
                            Oh snap, that's just so wrong on so many levels Star Bucks == Liquid Life, it's like blood to a vampire.

xor
                            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                              Oh snap, that's just so wrong on so many levels Star Bucks == Liquid Life, it's like blood to a vampire.

xor
                              So you measure time between Starbucks as hours rather than days, eh?

Comment

Working...
                              X