Will the Fed from DC17 be at 18?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Fed from DC17 be at 18?

Last year, for those who didn't know, there was a Fed having a ton of fun on twitter giving hints on his/her location. For all of our efforts we were unable to track him/her down last year.

Just wondering if he/she will be there this year and if they are planning on doing the same thing again?
    Originally posted by Ellen
    Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Re: Will the Fed from DC17 be at 18?

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
    Last year, for those who didn't know, there was a Fed having a ton of fun on twitter giving hints on his/her location. For all of our efforts we were unable to track him/her down last year.

Just wondering if he/she will be there this year and if they are planning on doing the same thing again?
    Still debating on whether or not to do that this year... We'll see.
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Random question about what a "fed" technically is. Being a soldier, I was wondering if that would classify me as one.

I watched the DC17 vids thanks to noid since I'm deployed and I know most of them were ACTUAL federal agents, but it was just something that came to mind.
      Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by b0n3z View Post
        Random question about what a "fed" technically is. Being a soldier, I was wondering if that would classify me as one.

I watched the DC17 vids thanks to noid since I'm deployed and I know most of them were ACTUAL federal agents, but it was just something that came to mind.
        In my experience (having attended DEFCON while I was active duty), active duty military have not typically been considered "feds" in the sense of this contest.
        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Maybe if you're a CID agent they could consider you a "fed"?
          "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

Comment

Wayyyy back when, it was left to the audience to decide, and sometimes the audience favored a military person as a fed. However, over time, it seems, based only on observation as an outsider, Priest became "fed" up (heh heh) with people using such a broad definition for "Fed" when the original sense of the word was focused on people doing the intelligence work, federal investigations in the US and abroad or trying to act as covert observers, or members from any various TLA (Three Letter Agencies.)

After he appeared to be frustrated by the audience's inability to find feds, and then understand what was and was not considered a "fed" he moved to stop letting the audience vote. (Correlation is not causation, and this was only observation, not something he ever said to me.)

When he decided that a potential fed was not a fed, if the audience "booed" the decisions, he would often ridicule the audience and tell the audience why the person did not count as a fed. When this first happened, it seemed that no military people at all were given Tee Shirts when spotted as feds -- though I didn't witness all of these. It was like Tee Shirts went as awards to just the people that might be labeled, "spooks," (spy-sense) or Federal Employees working in Law Enforcement/Investigations.

The years that followed expanded this to give Tee Shirt awards to TLA feds, and people in the military working in special areas of intelligence, as well as *foreign* feds that worked in a foreign equivalent of the the various TLA that would earn people Tee Shirts when spotted at Defcon.

I have no insight to how Priest's mind works, or how he comes to judges a person as a Fed or not, beyond the observations made in previous yours with this contest.
            Last edited by TheCotMan; March 1, 2010, 13:27.

Comment

Just a brief note about this:

When the group attending defcon was much, much smaller, and there was a real risk of arrest for even admitting certain kinds of things, the cat and mouse game of spotting Feds was more interesting, and had hazards on both sides. I don't think I've seen an actual Fed of that type, not sporting an FBI shirt, in several years.

If you are really excited about being identified as a Fed, you aren't the Fed we're looking for. I have been accused of being a Fed more than once. For the record, I am not.

Those people attending Defcon and collecting information about potential hackers or other miscreants long ago quit showing. It's too easy now, what with people posting their personal details on Facebook et al. No need for investigators to get out of their jammies; a quick google search is enough. I'd also point out that there's far more stuff going on in, say, China (or the former USSR) than in the continental US.

Back on topic. It's Priest's game. He makes the rules.

Comment

Worrrrrd. Thanks for the clarification guys & gals!
                Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
                  have been accused of being a Fed more than once. For the record, I am not.
                  That's exactly what a Fed would say.

xor
                  Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

I have been accused of being a Fed more than once. For the record, I am not..
                    Or if you advertise not being the fed in hopes people *cough*Xor*cough* think you are being cheeky when in fact you really aren't a fed at all....that or perhaps they are under the misguided impression that the federal government has a 1337 agency of under cover operatives infiltrating every knitting circle north of the mason dixon and Coffee my friends, Coffee is their elixir of strength. Mwahahaha.
                    "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
                      Or if you advertise not being the fed in hopes people *cough*Xor*cough* think you are being cheeky when in fact you really aren't a fed at all....that or perhaps they are under the misguided impression that the federal government has a 1337 agency of under cover operatives infiltrating every knitting circle north of the mason dixon and Coffee my friends, Coffee is their elixir of strength. Mwahahaha.
                      Well, there it is. How kind of you to say this.

I should point out that my initial comment was due to the fact that there are a couple of people also inhabiting the forums that this has been a running joke with. Thanks ever so, just the same.

Comment

Thanks ever so, just the same.
                        Oh no, Thank you. You are very welcome, but the pleasure was entirely all mine.
                        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

I like to wear my Secret Service Electronic Crimes Task Force polo... because nothing shouts "secret service" than an embroidered fed logo at Defcon. It's not the shirt that makes the fed, but the shoes.
                          Freedom, Convenience, Security - Pick only Two

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                            In my experience (having attended DEFCON while I was active duty), active duty military have not typically been considered "feds" in the sense of this contest.
                            Although, I was used for points in the scav hunt one year due to being military (at the time) I was considered a fed enough.
                            P.S. This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.

Comment

I believe Priest's rule of thumb is that to be considered a Fed, you must "be employed by the Federal Government and have arrest powers"

Comment

Working...
                              X