Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iPhone app for recording calls?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • iPhone app for recording calls?

    If any of you have read my blog post about the problems I am having with T-mobile, then you can guess where this is going. I still have not heard from them, so I plan to make a few more calls if necessary. What I would like to do is record those calls in case I need them later for legal purposes. I have already checked, and in my state it is legal to record a conversation as long as at least one of the parties is aware that it is being recorded. Obviously I would be the informed party and whomever I speak to at T-mobile would be the uninformed party. I am looking for an iPhone app that does this, but I have not found one. Mine is jailbroken, so if there is a little-known app that serves this purpose I would love to know about it. If anyone can recommend another easy way to record a cell phone conversation without putting it on speaker phone then that would work as well. I was able to obtain the numbers of some "higher ups", and I may call them if I do not hear anything satisfactory by Wednesday.
    "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

  • #2
    Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

    While an iPhone app would make it nice, if there isn't one, you can still record the conversations easily. Recording hardware that's worked on regular phones for years has been updated for use on cell phones.

    Run down to the local Radio Shack, and grab this device: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2141764 At 23 bucks it's hard to beat. Of course, you'll still need some sort of recorder, but a lot of cheap MP3 players will do recordings.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

      The obvious solution is a splitter and a headset. There's not much else you could do, though I'm sure using skype to make the call opens possibilities.

      Any particular reason that you need to avoid a headset?

      http://awaitinginspiration.com/iphone-call-recorder
      Never drink anything larger than your head!





      Comment


      • #4
        Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

        Thanks guys!

        Thorn, do you think if I use the Olympus device it would work to use my laptop as the "recorder"? It of course has an audio input jack and several applications that can record audio. I would not mind buying something like that, as I plan to record these types of conversations in the future. I wish I'd had a recording of my husband's call when he called to cancel the account, and then none of this would be happening

        renderman, I have no problem with using a headset. I just did not want to use speakerphone because my dog will start barking at what he thinks is an "intruder", and I may not be able to get a clear recording of the conversation. I used Skype for video calls a few times, and he sat there and barked and growled at it
        "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

          iBluenova should be released soon. It's basically a fully functioning bluetooth stack/app for the iPhone.

          I'm not definite, but I would say you would be able to make / receive calls on your computer through the bluetooth connection, and hence be able to record calls that way.

          Just a thought.
          I only drink because my friends are boring...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

            We ran into a similar problem trying to cancel an account with T-Mobile, after we were told our account was completely settled they kept sending us bills for $14.95. So we'd call again and bitch and not pay anything and they say we were settled. We did this twice. It was finally settled when we sent a registered letter to the address the bill was from stating very clearly that we did not owe this money and they were to cease and desist from attempting to collect it again. You know the nice way of saying "take this and cram it up your collective asses". It's now been 6 months and we haven't heard from them since.
            A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

              The only way i know of to do it is to use an external proxy service like recordiapro/spoofapp/recorder, to the best of my knowledge the hardware just isn't hooked up in a way to allow a direct recording.
              - Null Space Labs

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

                Originally posted by AgentDarkApple View Post
                Thorn, do you think if I use the Olympus device it would work to use my laptop as the "recorder"? It of course has an audio input jack and several applications that can record audio. I would not mind buying something like that, as I plan to record these types of conversations in the future.
                Yeah, it should record to the laptop. Buy one, and try it on a call with a friend. If it doesn't work you should be able to return it to RS. They're pretty good about taking things back that don't work they way the customer wants.
                Thorn
                "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

                  Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
                  It was finally settled when we sent a registered letter to the address the bill was from stating very clearly that we did not owe this money and they were to cease and desist from attempting to collect it again. You know the nice way of saying "take this and cram it up your collective asses". It's now been 6 months and we haven't heard from them since.
                  I actually prepared a cease and desist letter earlier today to send to the collections agency tomorrow. I refuse to deal with those leeches. I still plan to call T-mobile later this week and see what progress they have made in resolving this. I have reported T-mobile to both the BBB and the FTC.

                  From the research I have done, the collections agency violated several points of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and T-mobile failed to adhere to their own policy for handling delinquent accounts. Under the provisions of the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act as well as T-mobile's TOS, military orders to be away for more than 90 days and/or moving out of the coverage area warrants free cancellation, and a failure to meet a contractual agreement due to a deployment nullifies the contract and releases my husband from all responsibility. I want to record the conversation when I tell them this, because if they continue to pursue us after being notified of his legal rights and their legal obligations, the next step will be JAG.
                  "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

                    Originally posted by AgentDarkApple View Post
                    If any of you have read my blog post about the problems I am having with T-mobile, then you can guess where this is going. I still have not heard from them, so I plan to make a few more calls if necessary. What I would like to do is record those calls in case I need them later for legal purposes. I have already checked, and in my state it is legal to record a conversation as long as at least one of the parties is aware that it is being recorded. Obviously I would be the informed party and whomever I speak to at T-mobile would be the uninformed party. I am looking for an iPhone app that does this, but I have not found one. Mine is jailbroken, so if there is a little-known app that serves this purpose I would love to know about it. If anyone can recommend another easy way to record a cell phone conversation without putting it on speaker phone then that would work as well. I was able to obtain the numbers of some "higher ups", and I may call them if I do not hear anything satisfactory by Wednesday.
                    Just found this, haven't tried it to see how/if it works:
                    http://www.recordertheapp.com/
                    "New in version 10: Record Outgoing Calls!"
                    Costs $0.99, 3/5 stars.

                    AppStore description says "pennies per minute" cost of recording.
                    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

                      On a non-technical note, if you're not getting anywhere, file a small claims lawsuit. It takes ten minutes and is extremely simple.

                      Mobile phone companies get sued literally non-stop in small claims court, and they have a system in place for rapid ingestion and response to these suits. There's an entire department of people who just deal with them.

                      I had to sue Sprint for a similar issue. They'd made a legitimate error and sent an account to collections. They admitted the error, apologized, but said they couldn't stop the collections agency calling me because they'd already sold them the account. They said I had to work it out with the agency. I wasn't willing to do that, I wanted to force them to fix it on my behalf.

                      Filed suit on Friday afternoon, they were served the paperwork Monday at 7am. I had a settlement the same day at 2pm, they paid me money AND took care of the collections agency. Total time investment on my part: maybe an hour.

                      My default policy with companies that create customer service barriers to make problems impossible to solve is to just fucking sue them. I do this with some regularity. Sprint, Paypal, a ton of random businesses. Fuck them and their telephone system barriers created for the sole purpose of wearing you down and making you just give up. See how fast they fix your problem when they've got a court date coming up. Taking the control out of their hands really motivates them. :)

                      Hell I sued a fax spammer for waking me up at 7am by sending me a fax advertisement, won $5,000 under the TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act). Actually I've done that like three times now. If I still had a fax machine I'd probably be doing it right now.

                      This is why small claims court exists, it levels the playing field a bit. Your tax dollars pay for the system. Use it. :)

                      My two cents.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

                        Originally posted by barkode View Post
                        Hell I sued a fax spammer for waking me up at 7am by sending me a fax advertisement, won $5,000 under the TCPA (Telephone Consumer Protection Act). Actually I've done that like three times now. If I still had a fax machine I'd probably be doing it right now.
                        That sounds like a good reason to *get* a fax machine.
                        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

                          i also have a non-technical point that i'll add to this discussion.

                          while i'm not a lawyer, i'm rather certain this is quite accurate... if the party you're calling is a company with one of those standard "this call may be monitored or recorded for <whatever purpose>" messages in their automated system, then all parties to whom you might wind up speaking have no expectation of privacy and you are free to record the call yourself.

                          this applies even if you're in a state that requires both parties to consent... the company and its employees have given their consent simply by being part of the phone call under such clearly-stated conditions.

                          again, IANALBUKT (i am not a lawyer, but i know things)
                          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                          - Trent Reznor

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

                            Another Idea (what worked when I canceled T-Mobile) was to file a petition with the BBB (bbb.org) and everything was handled in about a week. The responded fast and I never heard from them again.

                            Just a thought.
                            Originally posted by Ellen
                            Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: iPhone app for recording calls?

                              hexjunkie, thanks for the idea, but I actually DID file a complaint to the BBB. Didn't get much help. I have also sent a cease and desist letter to the collections leeches, so hopefully that will get rid of them.
                              Last edited by AgentDarkApple; January 26, 2010, 17:16.
                              "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X