Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a clone of my debit card goes on a journey of its own.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a clone of my debit card goes on a journey of its own.

So a clone of my paypal debit card went for a drive around Ohio yesterday and today, its kind of interesting to watch it happen.

They were using it as I was talking to paypal, yet there is really little anyone can do about it. Even though the charges haven't cleared, I have to wait til they are approved then dispute them.

To pass the time I mapped the addresses of the locations the card had been used, a couple of petrol stations, a club, a taco bell and a few more petrol stations. I'm sitting looking at google streetview at the actual places its being used, I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse ! They did a fairly long three hour journey, possibly having a few cards to try out.

Of course now it has been cancelled the realtime update of their journey has ended, and just when i was starting to add traffic cameras.

Technology, its a funny old game.
    - Null Space Labs

Re: a clone of my debit card goes on a journey of its own.

Originally posted by charliex View Post
    So a clone of my paypal debit card went for a drive around Ohio yesterday and today, its kind of interesting to watch it happen.

They were using it as I was talking to paypal, yet there is really little anyone can do about it. Even though the charges haven't cleared, I have to wait til they are approved then dispute them.

To pass the time I mapped the addresses of the locations the card had been used, a couple of petrol stations, a club, a taco bell and a few more petrol stations. I'm sitting looking at google streetview at the actual places its being used, I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse ! They did a fairly long three hour journey, possibly having a few cards to try out.

Of course now it has been cancelled the realtime update of their journey has ended, and just when i was starting to add traffic cameras.

Technology, its a funny old game.
    It wasn't me I swear!! My Capital One card took a trip to China last week.

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
      It wasn't me I swear!! My Capital One card took a trip to China last week.
      Don't feel bad guys. My wife's took a trip on debit running in the town she still resides in at the moment. (I'm deployed overseas) I chewed her out quite a bit since I believed it to be her but once I calmed down and we talked she made me realize it wasn't her due to college and stuff going on at the times of the transactions.

Needless to say I believe it was a hardware hacker of some sort. I love hackers sometimes and I really hate hackers sometimes. No offense!
      Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by b0n3z View Post

Needless to say I believe it was a hardware hacker of some sort. I love hackers sometimes and I really hate hackers sometimes. No offense!
        It's ok to love hackers, but you should hate criminals.
        A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
          It's ok to love hackers, but you should hate criminals.
          Very true streaker! I will go with that statement now.
          Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Funnily enough today i got the refund from the criminals spending spree, so that was nice. Since it took about a month, it felt like it was gone So i spent it on a new SMD vacuum pick up tool and some LMP solder/alloy.

All's well that ends well ! I was expecting a wrangling with paypal, but i just faxed over the list of disputed transactions and they appeared two days later, I gather that its easier with regular banks.

Now i get an email with each transaction that occured on my card though, which is a new thing.
            - Null Space Labs

Comment

My credit card almost took a trip. I love my credit union. Someone had gotten a hold of my CC number, and started planning a trip. Once the bank saw a $300 plane ticket to Europe, they called and verified. Since I wasn't planning on going anywhere, they canceled the card, reversed that charge, and I had a new card within days.

Comment

I've had two interesting experiences.

On Christmas day two years ago, I got a call from my credit union asking if I had charged over $1500 worth of items with several online vendors. I told them I hadn't. They had actually frozen all transfers before they called and were waiting to find out from me if they could be released. No money ever left my account and the card was canceled that day and a new one showed up 2 days later.

I had purchased some boards for LCD monitors from a vendor in Texas. After installing them, they both worked for about 5 minutes and blew out. The vendor claimed to have a 90 day warranty, but provided no way to contact them other than email. Several emails were sent, but they never replied. After some extensive research I finally found a phone number for them, but it was disconnected. I contacted my CU and asked if I had any protections since I used a debit card instead of a credit card. They said all I needed was to send them a sign letter explaining the circumstances and they would take care of it. 3 days later, all the money was returned to my account.

I love my CU as well, since they provide an incredibly personal touch that I've never seen from another bank.
                A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

I was somewhere over Russia (coming back from China) when 3 people were in Vegas buying gas and shopping at Walmart with my card. Funny thing is someone was "sitting on the numbers" It happened about a month after I last used the card.

Comment

Everytime the buying odd stuff has been tripped, its been me buying it. I buy odd electronics for development from all over, especially china and europe, and i fly all over at a moments notice. So it must be a bit more difficult to ascertain strange transactions.

I feel like one day i'll get that scenario from 'yes man' because one day i'm in vegas, next cali, next nashville, then florida, and back to vegas. Luckily though i'm studying gaelic and not a language primarily used by the foes. Though one tip is don't fly anywhere with juggling balls if you don't know how to juggle, I decided to learn during a trip and the customs bloke asked me to juggle..

This time someone used it for gas stations, taco bell and a nightclub in ohio, that triggered it right away. I've never been to taco bell and I have no social life :)
                    - Null Space Labs

Comment

Well, one suggestion is to call the bank/cu as soon as you land, or right before take-off, and tell them where you'll be. This helped me when I flew to Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Viktor View Post
                        Well, one suggestion is to call the bank/cu as soon as you land, or right before take-off, and tell them where you'll be. This helped me when I flew to Australia.
                        Yes, but I'm sure you only rang to enquire whether we had electricity and knew what a credit card was down here....
                        Last edited by Lowie; March 5, 2010, 19:46. Reason: grammar
                        I only drink because my friends are boring...

Comment

Originally posted by Lowie View Post
                          Yes, but I'm sure you only rang to enquire whether we had electricity and new what a credit card was down here....
                          Holy shit! You have the internet down there!!

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
                            Holy shit! You have the internet down there!!
                            No no. I telegraphed my reply to a friend in The Americas. They transpose to this interweb thing for me

And sorry, enough thread jacking now...
                            I only drink because my friends are boring...

Comment

Working...
                            X