This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israeli Military and Facebook

A late friend of mine pioneered open source intel gathering in the 80's and 90's, but now it's getting ridiculously easy: just open accounts on Facebook and Twitter. Israel isn't the only military to have these issues, this is just the latest idiocy. Moreover, it isn't just the military, it's the whole idea of communicating one's every move to the whole world on social media.

Back in the days of WWII, our elders at least understood the concept of operational security. Hell, even the civilians were admonished that "Loose Lips Sink Ships." I'm not sure why people don't get it now. Maybe some do, and they're the people we don't hear about, but boneheaded moves like this make me wonder.

Facebook Details Force Israeli Military to Cancel Operation
    Arrest Mission Canceled, Soldier who Posted Details Unfriended by Army
    By SIMON MCGREGOR-WOOD
    JERUSALEM, March 4, 2010

The Israeli military had to cancel an operation to arrest Palestinian militants in the West Bank several weeks ago after a soldier posted details of the mission on his Facebook page.

The unnamed soldier posted the following message: "On Wednesday we are cleaning out the village of Katana (nr Ramallah) – today and arrest operation, tomorrow an arrest operation and then please god, home by Thursday."
    http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=10006343
    Last edited by Thorn; March 4, 2010, 11:58.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Re: Israeli Military and Facebook

As Steve Rambam has said, the biggest difference between now and 10-15 years ago is the addition of vast amounts of user-contributed data; and once it's out there, it's out there forever.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
      As Steve Rambam has said, the biggest difference between now and 10-15 years ago is the addition of vast amounts of user-contributed data; and once it's out there, it's out there forever.
      I agree. He is correct. But it seems to go deeper than that. While I am all for individual expression, there seems to have creeped in a culture of "you be damned, it's all about me."
      A wise person once said, "If wisdom's ways you wisely seek, five things observe with care:
      To whom you speak, of whom you speak, and when and how and where."

Props to L. E. Wilder. I would add: "Of what you speak." That however may be redundant.

Regards,

valkyrie
      __________________________________________________ ____
      sapere aude

Comment

Non-government controlled instant real-time communications havent helped the opsec game much. Many deployed people seem to think the locally provided internet and cell phones are as 'safe' as the ones back home and the enemy are a bunch backwards cave dwellers who are too ignorant to exploit them. Therefore they have no problem spreading all manner of sensitive info over compromised links.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesson357 View Post
          Non-government controlled instant real-time communications havent helped the opsec game much. Many deployed people seem to think the locally provided internet and cell phones are as 'safe' as the ones back home and the enemy are a bunch backwards cave dwellers who are too ignorant to exploit them. Therefore they have no problem spreading all manner of sensitive info over compromised links.
          Yep thats correct. I used to be stationed on a Specwar command in the Navy. Our weapons officer did that stuff all the time. Used to piss me off cause I was the head of comm security for the ship.
          Last edited by happypanda; March 4, 2010, 20:51.

Comment

The general "connected" population of any country would do the same thing though - use the internet wherever and whenever they can without thinking about the safety of it. Its availability is thought to be merely a modern convenience, and with the current web generation it's expected that you update others on the juiciest details of your life, almost a competition of who can be the most transparent.

This issue, coupled with the fact that the majority of males in Israel must serve a mandatory 3 years in the service, no matter their political views, is a perfect recipe for a blunder like this, or just a way to rebel and buck the government. Females also have to serve a year and a half, but they don't see as much combat - otherwise this might be a news headline every day. Though I must say there's a lot of good looking ones, and it sure must do something for the morale of the guys.

Comment

Working...
            X