Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to play CTF but scared you'll get bullied by REAL hackers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to play CTF but scared you'll get bullied by REAL hackers?

Well, so am I! Hackers frighten me something awful.

Fortunately, there is a non-scary team forming for openCTF this year. A couple people who had never played CTF before decided to get together for DC this year and learn us some CTF. We currently have four people in, and are going to need/want four more to meet the max team requirement of eight.

So if you ever sat behind someone's shoulder at CTF, if you ever stared wonderingly up at the whales in the sky wishing you could fly too, or if you're just plain new to this and want to learn with a bunch of other people who are all learning together, throw us a shout out.

All standard disclaimers apply, we only have four spots, invitation will be by voting of current members, no douches need apply, etc etc.

Mel
    Secretary

Re: Want to play CTF but scared you'll get bullied by REAL hackers?

Sounds like a great idea. My only question is: Can I still participate (read: watch closely and ask questions) without signing up? I want to save the spots for people who would be more help.
    Mundus Vult Decipi

Comment

Originally posted by Goatboy View Post
      Sounds like a great idea. My only question is: Can I still participate (read: watch closely and ask questions) without signing up? I want to save the spots for people who would be more help.
      Sure. We need gophers to retrieve food/drink(read: beer and caffeine), but the question is why you don't think you cannot participate.

I can tell you right now that I have absolutely no programming skills. I have to Google in order to double check HTML I toss together. I actually think it's kind of funny that I've decided to participate. The skills will come with time, all four of us just have a loose bunch of skills that we're trying to focus to a CTF skillset.
      Last edited by g3k_; April 2, 2010, 18:38.
      "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
        Sure. We need gophers to retrieve food/drink(read: beer and caffeine), but the question is why you don't think you cannot participate.

I can tell you right now that I have absolutely no programming skills. I have to Google in order to double check HTML I toss together. I actually think it's kind of funny that I've decided to participate. The skills will come with time, all four of us just have a loose bunch of skills that we're trying to focus to a CTF skillset.
        Well with all that in mind, I'd love to try it out; however, I will say that this will be my first Defcon. What day(s) would this being going on, and during what times? So, I'm definitely interested in trying out CTF, but I do want to attend some talks.

Comment

Originally posted by hack4ce View Post
          Well with all that in mind, I'd love to try it out; however, I will say that this will be my first Defcon. What day(s) would this being going on, and during what times? So, I'm definitely interested in trying out CTF, but I do want to attend some talks.
          Originally posted by tubewarriors.org
          The game will be a total of approximately 20 hours running from 10am to 8pm on Friday and Saturday.
          I'm unsure if it means 10am Friday till 8pm on Saturday, or 10-8 on each day. Considering it's aprox 20 hours, I'd say it's the latter. I'm unsure what the other guys want to do about any talks they find interesting, but I'll bring it up.
          "As Arthur C Clarke puts it, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic". Here is my corollary: "Any sufficiently technical expert is indistinguishable from a witch"."

Comment

Originally posted by g3k_ View Post
            I'm unsure if it means 10am Friday till 8pm on Saturday, or 10-8 on each day. Considering it's aprox 20 hours, I'd say it's the latter. I'm unsure what the other guys want to do about any talks they find interesting, but I'll bring it up.
            The game will be running from 10am on Friday until 8pm on Saturday. The network will only be up however 10am to 8pm both days. There will likely be challenges which don't require network access or parts that can be worked on that don't require it.

Comment

I'm sure we're going to be flexible in terms of time commitment. I know I have stuff I want to do (participate in the geo challenge [I saw last year that it only took a few hours], some talks no doubt), and if we get all 8 people committed, we'll have that freedom. We currently have four definites, two possibles, and four interesteds that I'm aware of.

Mel
              Secretary

Comment

I definitely like to join I have some skills but not enough to roll with the big boys. Plus this will be my first defcon. Something has come up the last 2 times I have planned to go. I was looking forward to the CTF games but didn't know who to contact to play. I look forward to it.

Comment

I would like to join but don't want to commit to the full time. This is my 2nd defcon so still want to make my rounds and do as much as possible. Who knows I may get sucked in and not leave my seat.
                  Vell, WiK's just zis guy

Comment

I wouldn't mind..infact I was going to post asking if someone was looking for person..Let me know if you still have a slot open :)

Comment

Originally posted by WiK View Post
                      I would like to join but don't want to commit to the full time. This is my 2nd defcon so still want to make my rounds and do as much as possible. Who knows I may get sucked in and not leave my seat.
                      I'll ask the guys what they want to do with people who only want to partially participate, but see my above post on this topic :P

dabheeruz and WiK, if you are interested PM me and I will get you some information

Comment

Oh Yeah WiK, I am in this group, just so you know. Seeing as you live like 40 minutes from me.

Comment

I would like to join your team if there is still a spot open. I would be down for full time. I have been to the past 6 DEFCONs and have yet to participate in CTF. It has been something I have always wanted to do but I don't have enough friends that are interested to build my own team. I do have some *nix and scripting fu so I might be able to help out on that front.

Comment

I always wanted to play, but never thought I had the skills/stones to compete (probably still don't). This will be my 3rd con, and pretty much feel a lot like WiK's post. I want to catch some of the talks, but if I get hooked, I may never get off the seat as well. :)

Thanks for you consideration, and good luck if I don't get a chance to work with you guys.

-Lincoln

Comment

PM me, the two of you por favor.

Comment

Working...
                              X