HHV Talks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHV Talks

For the last two years we've had people want to do unofficial none-speaker-badge talks in the HHV and we've had plans to have talks there. I'm starting this up to open discussion around this. I've really enjoyed the ones we've had in the past and always enjoy a neighborly Goodspeed talk. I'd love to see more talks like the UAV talk from Shmoocon given up in the village. For those who didn't get to see it the video and slides are over on the Shmoocon site here. It was a great talk that engaged the audience, showed people how to build something really cool, and was something I think a lot of people took home with them to inspire some creativity. I remember all the tweets about people saying they were purchasing kits that would arrive when they got home! I was talking with justryan at the Shmoocon party and we both thought that these sort of talks would be a great contribution to the village.

Maybe this year we could set something up to make the format a bit easier to figure out. Last year Kampf and A had a white board that people wrote up their presentations but not sure it was widely known that talks were going on. While I love the ad-hoc nature of anyone being able to step up and talk about anything, getting the word around that this is occurring would be cool. Maybe we could have a twitter feed or someone could post #defcon about the talks going on. Who knows and I'm not sure how this could be improved on but I figure throwing it out there might lead to some good discussion and ideas.

Thoughts?
    afterburn

Re: HHV Talks

A couple Ninjas (CStone and Woz) are probably going to want to do an unofficial HHV talk on this year's Ninja Badge, which is about 50 times more complicated than last year's.

We're already talking to HHV guys about it, but if someone starts to put together a list, count us in.

We'll probably need a projector...

Comment

Russ and I have discussed the direction we'd like HHV to go...more on this soon...

LosT

Comment

Regarding the twitter feed about HHV events, I'm more than willing to contribute to that effort. I'm sure more than a few of us have some form of smart phone now and probably a twitter client on it. I do at least and can tweet about events or whatever we'd like. Last year twitter in general was a great resource to keep tabs on DC events. No reason we can't tap that for HHV as well.

SD

Comment

Originally posted by sugardaddy View Post
          Regarding the twitter feed about HHV events, I'm more than willing to contribute to that effort. I'm sure more than a few of us have some form of smart phone now and probably a twitter client on it. I do at least and can tweet about events or whatever we'd like. Last year twitter in general was a great resource to keep tabs on DC events. No reason we can't tap that for HHV as well.

SD
          Well in the spirit that the wiki was setup...I'll try to spark this effort by taking the first step. I made a twitter account @dc_hhv and started trying to follow people. Hopefully we can use this as a method to better spread info and get people more involved! It should be good for general announcements and we could use it to RT #hhv things of important. It'll be an experiment to say the least as are most things in the village..
          afterburn

Comment

Are you taking requests for talk subjects? I'd be happy to give another soldering talk that seemed to be well received in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
              Are you taking requests for talk subjects? I'd be happy to give another soldering talk that seemed to be well received in the past.
              I think this is exactly what we need. Smitty's soldering class was packed last time he had it. I think it's these sort of "courses" that we should be offering. Think about the Lockpicking Village and the tutorials they give. I could see us doing soldering, test equipment, basic electronics, and who knows what else. Maybe this will encourage people to stand up and talk about things. Some of the hacker spaces could come talk about what they've been up to, people could show off things they've done with their badge, who knows. It would be nice if we could ramp this aspect up a bit but we at least need that soldering tutorial.
              afterburn

Comment

Working...
              X