Riviera Reconnaissance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riviera Reconnaissance

Last night I decided to do a little recon trip down at The Riviera. Here's what I found.

The most notable thing is that The Riviera really hasn't changed that much since last summer at DEFCON 17. It was almost as if they shrink-wrapped the entire hotel at the end of the last con, and opened it up again for my recon trip. To be perfectly honest, this is not what I expected. The fact that there weren't massive changes was comforting, especially with all the stories about The Riviera's financial problems, I was happy to see that everything was in good repair and that they didn't get rid of things in an attempt to cut costs. (But I still morn the loss of The Splash Bar, which is still gone.)

New for 2010 is the addition of a tattoo shop. It is across from Kristopher's Steak House and faces the pool, from within the retail area on the east side of the pool.

I predict we'll see some shiny new smiley face and crossbones tats at DEFCON 18.

This year you'll also have some new food choices. New are the “India Masala, Cuisine of India” and “Big Burger” food offerings.

On reflection, it is entirely possible that these are the same restaurant. I really couldn't tell.

Finally, as an example of addition by subtraction, the bees are gone from the pool area. But it looked like they painted the pool walls an unusually dark blue. Perhaps that was a chemical conditioner to remove the tell-tale blood from DEFCON 16?

See you this summer.
    --bc,

Re: Riviera Reconnaissance

Originally posted by big chopper View Post
    New for 2010 is the addition of a tattoo shop. It is across from Kristopher's Steak House and faces the pool, from within the retail area on the east side of the pool.
    I predict we'll see some shiny new smiley face and crossbones tats at DEFCON 18.
    Wasn't that there before? Or am I just drunk again? I suppose we'll have to wait and see just how many people they refuse to ink due to intoxication.
    This year you'll also have some new food choices. New are the “India Masala, Cuisine of India” and “Big Burger” food offerings.
    On reflection, it is entirely possible that these are the same restaurant. I really couldn't tell.
    Is the majority of the place still shut down? At least it's something added and not more removed... mmmmm, curry burger.
    Finally, as an example of addition by subtraction, the bees are gone from the pool area. But it looked like they painted the pool walls an unusually dark blue. Perhaps that was a chemical conditioner to remove the tell-tale blood from DEFCON 16?
    Shhhhh, they'll hear you, and return with a vengeance. And The infamous blood from DEFCON 16 will never truly be gone.

Thanks for taking the time to scout the joint.
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Yeah. The tattoo place was there last year.
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
        So true. The tattoo shop opened just before DEFCON 17. My mistake. I think the lines for badges blocked my view. :-b
        --bc,

Comment

The bees are stored in hives near Pool 2 (on the roof). They have staff throw rocks at the hives when defcon is there.

Comment

Originally posted by bluerules View Post
            The bees are stored in hives near Pool 2 (on the roof). They have staff throw rocks at the hives when defcon is there.
            They don't need to throw rocks at them. You have 7000 people dressed in black t-shirts, of course the bees are going to attack. Everyone should be wearing white if you don't want the bees to bother you.
            A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Curious if you noticed any improvements on the libations front, and for that matter if there are any new bars in and around the Riviera walking distance worth noting that may have been overlooked in a previous reconnoiter?
              Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon View Post
                Curious if you noticed any improvements on the libations front, and for that matter if there are any new bars in and around the Riviera walking distance worth noting that may have been overlooked in a previous reconnoiter?
                No new bars at The Riviera--and again, I sorely miss The Splash Bar. Probably the best bar "near" The Riviera is The Fireside Lounge at The Peppermill, just south on the strip. It's a great place to get an aquarium sized girlie drink, complete with a piece of fruit and a paper umbrella. (And there ain't nothing wrong with that.)
                --bc,

Comment

I am still in love with Slots-o-Fun and their extreamly cheap drink prices. Anyone who shows up Wednesday night I'll buy a few rounds :)

The tattoo parlor was there last year, I won't explain why I know this other than I did see it and I was there.

Anyone in Nevada know if the sales tax has been reduced in Nevada yet? that ~15% still gets me a little bit.
                  Originally posted by Ellen
                  Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
                    I am still in love with Slots-o-Fun and their extreamly cheap drink prices. Anyone who shows up Wednesday night I'll buy a few rounds :)

The tattoo parlor was there last year, I won't explain why I know this other than I did see it and I was there.

Anyone in Nevada know if the sales tax has been reduced in Nevada yet? that ~15% still gets me a little bit.
                    Sales tax is not 15%.

http://renotahoe.about.com/b/2009/08...-increases.htm

Comment

Since 09-2009, sales tax in Clark County has been 8.1%.
                      http://tax.state.nv.us/documents/Sales_Tax_Map.pdf
                      “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

I read that about 3 times before I saw it wasn't rentahoe. Thought we were going to be able to reserve one for the con! :/

8.1 isn't bad, it's 8.25 here, won't feel like a change.

Comment

Updates on Riv Recon; I was in Vegas this past weekend and decided to swing into the Riv for a bit. Here's what I've got:

- No pool (Billiard Con was going on, but swimming pool was closed)
                          - Valet at Convention Center entrance doesn't look like it's opening any time soon.
                          - Now for the real news. As we all know, the Splash Bar was replaced some time ago by a bank of nondescript slot machines. As I turned the corner into that part of the hotel, something caught my eye across the room from where it was.

This future Pub was actually supposed to be open by yesterday (June 12, 2010) but per hotel staff was delayed due to construction issues, and is scheduled to be open by the end of next week. Cheerio, mates.
                          "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

Originally posted by sintax_error View Post
                            Updates on Riv Recon; I was in Vegas this past weekend and decided to swing into the Riv for a bit. Here's what I've got:

- No pool (Billiard Con was going on, but swimming pool was closed)
                            - Valet at Convention Center entrance doesn't look like it's opening any time soon.
                            - Now for the real news. As we all know, the Splash Bar was replaced some time ago by a bank of nondescript slot machines. As I turned the corner into that part of the hotel, something caught my eye across the room from where it was.

This future Pub was actually supposed to be open by yesterday (June 12, 2010) but per hotel staff was delayed due to construction issues, and is scheduled to be open by the end of next week. Cheerio, mates.
                            Nice. Thanks for sharing. I miss the Splash bar big time. Hopefully this will be a good replacement...and actually open by Con. Thanks for the intel.
                            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                              I recommend their tattoo shop, I had a tattoo there done by one of the female artists and it turned out very well.

WiK
                              Vell, WiK's just zis guy

Comment

Working...
                              X