Essential Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essential Programs

I may be a tad early but heck, I'm just so gosh darn excited!

What are some of the basic programs/software used in oCTF? I'm guessing things like Nmap or wireshark. Are there any programs that people recommend? Also since we're driving up we plan on bringing plenty of hardware. Will the basic's cover it? Thanks for the help!

~47

Re: Essential Programs

Honestly, from my experience in playing in games I'd say that for the most part having a bunch of tools is overrated and really not that useful. In years past team members and myself have spent time compiling a list of useful tools and trying to install everything we could that might possibly be useful and very rarely do we use more than a couple things. Discovery and fingerprinting tools such as nmap are a must as well as a good packet analyzer, good disassembler/debugger, a decent file carver, and dev tools are probably your best bet. Having access to documentation, such as file format documentation, is critical since you most likely wont be an expert at every common or obscure file format that is used. But overall, as long as you have a decent development environment for whatever language(s) you are good with and a few of the big name security tools (except for metasploit which in and of itself will not be that useful) you should be fine. Defcon and the hotel have net access, albeit flaky and not always available, which can be used to grab anything else you may need.

Comment

You might be surprised how useful a phone book can be...
      Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Great question! Forty Seven. I have been wondering the same thing. I have walked the CTF and aCTF area the last few cons and have always wanted to learn more about it. I was so excited to see the post about non-experienced, non security gurus being welcome. I am looking forward to participating and learning thanks to and with the help of the TubeWarriors.

I would like to be as prepared as possible by the time oCTF begins and have been looking for any knowledge that explains exactly how it is played and specifically what operating system and applications I should be using. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good manual / book or posting that goes into specific details?

In reading the rules I understand that each team gets 1 connection into the network, so I believe I will need a router and a switch so we can have all team players active. Any help, direction, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize upfront for my ignorance but I guess we are all Newbie's at the beginning and I am just trying to find out what the Tubewarriors expect us to know at the start and what equipment and tools they would like us to be prepared with.

Thanks,
        Bbox

Comment

I Like this Idea of a noobz CTF, Personally This will be my first defcon... I don't consider myself experienced enough to join in though I'll certainly drop by and be in for awhile

Comment

Working...
          X