Diseases that marrow donation can treat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diseases that marrow donation can treat

One thing that surprised me was the numerous different medical reasons for use of marrow transplants. I had always assumed it was just to treat leukemia; turns out there are many more uses, including in the treatment of Sickle cell disease. O_o

For a short list of diseases that can be treated through stem cell donation, go check out:

http://www.marrow.org/PATIENT/Undrst...ase/index.html

Re: Diseases that marrow donation can treat

Odd there is no reference to Severe Congenital Neutropenia, all be it, there has only been about 50 transplants attempted in the U.S. to date.
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar View Post
      Odd there is no reference to Severe Congenital Neutropenia, all be it, there has only been about 50 transplants attempted in the U.S. to date.
      That list is quite short from what I've been told. I believe (assuming my old tired brain is remembering correctly) there are over 70 different diseases that a bone marrow transplant can cure. I would imagine there's a definitive list somewhere.

Comment

This brings a tear to my eye knowing that you guys are doing this.
        My father has multiple myeloma and going through that makes you appreciate the value of what a simple donation process can be to victims and their families.
        Thankyou.
        One of gods own prototypes.
        Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Comment

Working...
        X