Fox says: girls hack too!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox says: girls hack too!

I really don't know what to make of this...

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/fema...video-20100511
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Re: Fox says: girls hack too!

Originally posted by bascule View Post

The rest of the world getting caught up with something that we've already known. There are some damn fine chick hackers out there.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

All I can really come up with is wow. I'm not even going to dignify that clip by picking it apart.
      "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Comment

I bet several of you recognize at least one of the people in that video news story. She can "out" herself if she wants to.( Discusson of this came up on the dc-stuff mailing list before it appeared here.)

"Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," as mentioned in that article, is a good movie. The examples of hacking (Hollywood definition) are not very good, but it is still entertaining. It is similar to the suspense/mystery genre that includes, "Silence of the Lambs."

There are 3 movies related to this as a kind of trilogy, all made in 2009. Only the first is in the US right now:

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was released in Feb 2009.
        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

"The Girl Who Played with Fire" was released September 2009
        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1216487/

"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" was released November 2009
        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343097/

There is now work on a TV program in Sweden for this too.

About the Author:
        http://www.stieglarsson.com/

The rest of this is a spoiler. Dont read the rest of this post if you don't want spoilers for the film.

Understand there are examples of sexual abuse in this film, so if that bothers you, you should skip it.

An especially amusing point was when she was told how much she would be allowed to pay for a laptop. Swedish Krona are around 7 or 8 to 1 for US dollars. So if you watch this film, divide Swedish Krona by 8, and then consider a VAT of about 25% tax on any laptop she might buy. Understanding this really demonstrates the humiliation in the suggested amount. ~$875 for a laptop that requires a VAT of ~25% => ~$650? Craptastic.

End.
        Last edited by TheCotMan; May 13, 2010, 18:55.

Comment

(Aside from what cot said as literature is excluded.)

I think this is bullsh17. I despise the fakeness of that entire clip. I even loathe the fact that women need to be 100% inorganic in order to even get the face time with media like that. Oh and I JUST Love the old dc clip, love how everything is put out of context too, and FOX is listening to an hactivist (?) or Freaking Fairy (?) WTF?

Yeah....*most* female hackers are hactivists? Bitch, I don't give a crap about green peace or clubbing baby seals and I'm not impressed with turning my twitter icon green either. I have a life to live, and I don't much like the separation of the sexes these hactivists are doing to them-damn-selves.

Team Vah-jay-jay, I shake my fists at you. I will inform Japan I have no honor, you have failed me and our ancestors yet again.

I'm not in my right mind, but I might take it upon myself to inform that reporter than she just got socially engineered by a Bewb.

Poor girl, she'll have no chance of every having a relationship now that she is a hacker. Mother f$ker.........I'm leaving.
          "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Much love for all the REAL female hackers. I hate how the media has to cutesify everything though.
            Last edited by AgentDarkApple; May 14, 2010, 06:05.
            "Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users? " - Clifford Stoll

Comment

Since when is a persons sex modify their technical ability?

I know many people on both sides that are intelligent and many of them understand the ins and outs of technology. I will agree that the field is largely dominated by guys but my theory has to do with personal hygiene :)

I shower daily, I cannot speak for some of the people I have roomed with recently.
              Last edited by hexjunkie; May 14, 2010, 06:58. Reason: I R SMRT
              Originally posted by Ellen
              Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Scrolling your friends list on Facebook makes for a wonderful hacking video clip.
                "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Ah, so "phreakers" is just the word for female hackers. It makes so much sense now!

Obviously, only girls ever bothered to mess with the telephone system.
                  It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
                    Ah, so "phreakers" is just the word for female hackers. It makes so much sense now!

Obviously, only girls ever bothered to mess with the telephone system.
                    Have you ever seen teenage girls near a phone? They may as well have them surgically implanted.
                    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by bascule View Post

I'm right there with ya buddy. I'm not sure what to make of it either, though opinions are already forming.

Though I will say I'm a bit offended by the media using a barbie doll model type to portray the female hacker persona. Are we only valid in society's eyes unless we have a skinny model body, a pretty face and spend an hour doing our hair and make up before we leave the house?

In stead of posting up the rest of my initial thoughts (rant actually) I'm going to watch it again then I'm going to step away from the keyboard, (if I can). then I'm going to come back and watch it again. If I still feel the same way....I just might have to uncap the bottle to let some pressure off. I apologize in advance for the rant that just might explode out of me. Perhaps I should not post it here, but save it for a formal letter to the news station?

Comment

Next we will be hearing how women are picking locks.

Of course it will take about 5 more years at least before they realize that.
                        Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by b0n3z View Post
                          Next we will be hearing how women are picking locks.

Of course it will take about 5 more years at least before they realize that.
                          Hush, the last thing I want is the media to know that we can do that to. One more thing for them to fuck up while telling the entire world.

I was not impressed or happy with the news story. I'd like to give the fine folks at fox news an ear full of how bad they fucked up, but I won't because I refuse to do interviews, unless it's for Ashley Schwartua, otherwise my comments might be taken out of content.

Originally posted by Nikita
                          Poor girl, she'll have no chance of every having a relationship now that she is a hacker. Mother f$ker.........I'm leaving.
                          Have they not seen the movie Hackers? I thought the female hacker did end up in a relationship, oh my bad I forgot that's make believe can't ever happen in real life. X-tasy, Gray, Eris, Nikita, Evil, Myself, and so on must not be real (we're all made up movie characters) since we're all in a relationship

Wait Nikita, I'm leaving with you before I hurt a wall or something,
                          "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

The world would be a much better place if we didn't have to genderify our personalities and/or lifestyles.

Or our vitamins: http://www.feministing.com/archives/013299.html

There's so much stereotypical crap in marketing/media. I want to murder everyone who makes those "Flatten your belly in x weeks!" advertisements.

Comment

So I was thinking about it before and forgot to go and actually link the damn file. But you know that scary female hacker they clipped into that fox video? Well here is the original documentary, from DEF CON 9. Yeah, NINE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9vDz...eature=related

I'm not a fan of this particular documentary in the least. But that is my own personal reasons. Other than that, I invite you to sit back and enjoy it for a moment.

I do think that the media portrays us ladies with a unfair segregation, but to play devils advocate we do bring it upon ourselves most of the time. It's as though we, as intelligent women, walk right into the trap of separate but equal. Until we stop calling out the fact that we have a vagina people will continue to preface our achievements with AND SHE HAS A VAGINA. Sure we face challenges, but if they were not encouraged by the separate but equal mentality of today's modern feminist, then we could step up. We can succeed just as well as any man, to say that it is harder for us to learn and thrive in a male populated environment is laziness. I can think of one other particular group of individuals who fought this exact same battle and they had by far many more challenges than the female population will ever face.

I really do think that the problems/difference we have as women in the intellectual marketplace are directly in proportion to how much attention we draw to ourselves. Especially by touting that it's harder for us. It's a cycle. If you would just shut the eff up and play by the rules everyone else abides by, we might not have the stigmatization associated with hiring, equal pay, content value and social status as we do now. However again, that is just my opinion. If you're curious about this try being androgynous over the internet. Watch as no one gives a solid shit about your sex. And before you assume that's because they think you are a boy, think again, why are YOU placing a stereotype on their sex?

I have my moments where I want to slap the crap out of people. People in our own group, have the audacity to believe that the wives or ladies of the con need to have something to do organized for them. (To be 100% fair hacker chicks are constantly trying to organize female only events too. )

*hint* dumbass maybe you shouldn't encourage this separatism and your wife or lady friend might actually find something she enjoys doing and learning about on her own. And for the husbands, Bonus for you, you might have something to talk about later other than how awesome it was for you to wave your junk in her face. But then again, some women actually do detest the boring con life and it's not for them so who am I to judge, some ladies just aren't interested. That's unfortunate for us because we need more women involved ( also to remove the belief you have to be a complete techs to be a hacker or fit in) but it's no less assholic of me to tell them that they should force their wives to hang out in the hardware hackers village than it is for them to organize a spa trip. ( I'd love that too ) I digress.

Point is, (I know I rambled) I don't want to separate myself as a Female hacker. I'm just me. I'm a hacker in my own right, I am knowledgeable, curious, and a very intelligent person. I am willing to let myself be respected for my attributes and achievements, other than those related to my sexual organs.

As for the vitamins, you ever try giving a woman's marketed vitamin to a man? Impossible. Why? My husband leaves me with the impression that they believe it may give them boobs or make them cry. I find also that anything marketed for a lady is priced higher. So I learned a long time ago to compare ingredients on everything, generic is often the winner. So I guess I prefer that in a lot of ways, Generic works for me.

- You can continue on ranting Team Vah-jay-jay now.
                              Nikita

Vagina, Vagina, Vagina.
                              "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Working...
                              X