Confused about Hardware Hacking Village

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about Hardware Hacking Village

I'm newish to hardware hacking and such. But lurking in the HHV last year made me yearn for the few humble soldering projects I've done at home over the years. I've got an Arduino starter kit on the way to me in the mail right now. I have some project ideas, so by the time DC18 rolls around I'll hopefully be working on something for real.

The badge has always intregued me. But the complexity and all around different-ness of it makes it look like something a hardware n00b shouldn't bother messing with.

So what confuses me about the HHV is if it is cool to just go there with my tools and spend some time building my project, but not doing badge contest stuff or anything. Would I be just taking up space and distracting from badge modders working on the contest, et al?

Re: Confused about Hardware Hacking Village

Russ and I created the village to be an open space. We encourage everyone to spend as much time in the HHV as they like, working on what ever project they like.

That being said, the advantage of being in the HHV and working on things (we hope) is that you can get help, suggestions, collaboration, etc, from folks like Joe Grand or Dr. K (just to name a few)- It probably wouldn't be a good use of your time to just work on your own.

Talk to people. Help someone else who may not know something you do. Learn from someone else.

But have fun.

Comment

Cool. That's pretty much what I was hoping for. I was pretty baffled looking at what some folks were doing with the badges. Thanks for replying and I'll see you there.

Comment

tcpiplab: Specifically, you do _NOT_ have to just work on your badge. In fact, that very subject came up in another thread, that about 90% of what we see in the HHV is badge related. This is cool, but we'd like to encourage other projects too. So, yeah. Bring your stuff, and like LosT suggested, work _WITH_ the folks around you, asking for, and offering, help as appropriate. That's what its there for.

I look forward to seeing you there. :-)

Comment

Working...
        X