Ham exams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ham exams?

Grifter's ahead of the game this year, and pinged me about running ham exams in the skyboxes again. I'm not 100% sure I'll be going to Defcon, but I can certainly organize the testing.

I'll need at least three VE's to help run the testing. Volunteers?

-Jon

Re: Ham exams?

There was a thread about this after Defcon which is now closed. I'll post a reply to it to direct people here in case they subscribed to it.

Get a room/skybox/space for your testing and I'll make a forum for this.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 18th, 2010, 11:24.

Comment

I shall attend.

Comment

Does anyone else remember a defcon where people were truely frightened about giving out their real names at con? Now all the talks are by people who have never had a handle, and people want to sign up for an easily searchable online government database... Kids these days...

Comment

Is anyone planning on giving talks on HAM, or sessions, or anything like that?
          It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by bluerules View Post
            Does anyone else remember a defcon where people were truely frightened about giving out their real names at con? Now all the talks are by people who have never had a handle, and people want to sign up for an easily searchable online government database... Kids these days...
            <shrug> A lot of the people who used to be scared/wary of "the Feds" now ARE "the Feds". Besides, if someone thinks a mere handle can protect their anonymity they aren't paying attention.
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

It's not hiding from the feds that I'm afraid of, it's hiding from people like us. Knowing a ham's name and general location, you're two hops away from having a photo of his home.

Name->qrz.com->home address->street view.

I've done it to others, I don't want it done to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bluerules View Post
                It's not hiding from the feds that I'm afraid of, it's hiding from people like us. Knowing a ham's name and general location, you're two hops away from having a photo of his home.

Name->qrz.com->home address->street view.

I've done it to others, I don't want it done to me.
                Gotcha, and I understand. The real problem is Street View and similar programs. (Just remember, despite what they claim, Google is EVIL.) Although, it's relatively easy to be removed from Street View, I just would be a lot happier if it were opt in, rather than opt out.
                Thorn
                "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
                  Is anyone planning on giving talks on HAM, or sessions, or anything like that?
                  JonM did a talk at DEFCON 16 "Ham for Hackers".

I was planning on doing something for DEFCON 19 that is more ham and FCC oriented. Kinda like v2.0 of JonM's talk.

Comment

I got grief for having a CB radio installed in my Camero a few days ago. Have way to much time and live next to a Radioshack so I bought the antenna, radio, misc SIGINT type stuff and was going to do legitimate research (I am a grad student in EE\CS so) would be on practical applications in the domains of attenuation, routing algorithms, espionage and counter-espionage (The second was just thrown in cause I am relatively stable in the math department especially in that domain which could save me if SIGINT did not produce). But ticket was for not having seat belt on (One of the passengers, admittedly he was pretty dam drunk but harmless in the back ). Guy wanted to examine my radio which is mounted into the area that would normally be for a traditional stereo. Did not say anything in regards to a charge or otherwise but insisted we did not speak while the A-grade Quantico status Lab results came back... yes it has built in emergency Channels. Conclusion: Guy left in an unjustified anger, was and am still not sure what he expected from a radio in a black car with four guys in JNYX gear. Bought a Uniden off a ex-trucker the other day just for fun, Anyway hope my experience adds value or answers the question to some degree. I live in SoCAL BTW. In regards to be tracked, we are also building our own "Faraday" like concoction as a funded research project. I want stuff for all my electronics now...someday.

Okay so maybe the attire did not do us the best politically speaking.

And if my professor wants to help me finalize the last few pages of math I have a Defcon appropriate paper dealing with espionage(Corporate and military) and countermeasures. I wanted to make a tool or emulator, something tangable. The math is taxing though so trying to program it after and have it all work as I envisioned would not make the two week deadline. I will keep you posted if I can complete the last portion, it has some theory but is more of a field guide\ hackerstoolbox for HAM\CB\Other of findings that could greatly increase your listening pleasure. Get a hold of old military stuff, guy owns a shop around here with it (Ex Air Force Intel type) we get a lot of stuff is the misc category in that if you wanted real high range stuff and now some EE, sky's the limit.... for now. I have a random satellite dish that's begging to be a project someday. Hope I find some guys with this passion at DC this year (Never been).
                    So when is my job going to be cool enough to count Advanced Windows Exploits as mandatory paid training?

Comment

Wow, was that part of the Short Story contest?

Comment

I lose all respect for a ham when they bring me a "Blowed Up" radio that when I turn it on comes up on 27.XXX MHz. When that happens it goes back to them still in the blowed up state.

Comment

Depending on the time of the exam, I might also be available as a VE. I'm an Extra and am current with ARRL VEC. Having said that, I'll probably be pretty busy with the HHV (as usual), badge hacking, and getting ready for Crash And Compile. Make sure the when/where is obvious and I'll see if I can make it.

Comment

Ok, it's official, I'm not going to be at Defcon this year. I'll be at Black Hat, but I've got other commitments, so I can't stay past Friday.

So, I can get the paperwork filed with the ARRL for the exam session, but I'll need someone else to take point on actually running the exams.

Any volunteers?

-Jon

Comment

Originally posted by JonM View Post
                              Ok, it's official, I'm not going to be at Defcon this year. I'll be at Black Hat, but I've got other commitments, so I can't stay past Friday.

So, I can get the paperwork filed with the ARRL for the exam session, but I'll need someone else to take point on actually running the exams.

Any volunteers?

-Jon
                              I would love to help but I'm not a VE. Might be willing to give out information or help out with other things if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X