2600 meetings vs. all others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2600 meetings vs. all others

It's interesting to see that there are others who don't bother with the 2600 meetings. Of course, this sureley belies my ignorance and newbitude. It seems like a good thing to me to have the call for theese meetings in the magazine. I'm sure it gets a lot of groups going. I find myself being annoyed more and more with 2600 and that group's idea of the scene and who should be granted admittance to it, and though I know that those ideas and prejudices don't taint every group that gather with the 2600 name, I wonder what other options are out there for people looking for other groups to get involved with. Getting together with friends is fun and all but what I really think can really set apart these meetings (like it does with the one I go to - http://2600slc.org) is the structure associated with it. Standards of behavior are expected, it's not a total free for all. Talks are given, and you're hounded if you haven't given one - it's a good thing (really).

I guess I also want to talk about what other groups within the scene think of Defcon. From my experience on irc.2600.net it seems to be "kewl" to talk trash about it, dismiss it as corporate and plan to go to it so that you can ruin things for eveyone there. That and talk amongst everyone else in the channel about going to H2K2 and Rubicon and other cons that no one has ever heard of and whine about how the man is keeping them down and shit like that. I like to just dismiss these affectatious pricks. Any thoughts?
    cows like candy

Re: 2600 meetings vs. all others

Originally posted by SigningiS
    I guess I also want to talk about what other groups within the scene think of Defcon. From my experience on irc.2600.net it seems to be "kewl" to talk trash about it, dismiss it as corporate and plan to go to it so that you can ruin things for eveyone there. That and talk amongst everyone else in the channel about going to H2K2 and Rubicon and other cons that no one has ever heard of and whine about how the man is keeping them down and shit like that. I like to just dismiss these affectatious pricks. Any thoughts?
    *shrug* I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion. Personally, I don't care what these people think re: Defcon vs. h2k2 or other cons - they seem to have forgotten that by wanting to eliminate all of the conferences that have 'grown too coroporate' (interesting how they never back that argument up with things like, uh, proof) they themselves are indulging in Bad Corporate Behaviour by getting into the anti-trust side of things via elimination of the 'competition'.

The irony. Oh well. Anyway, it's a really stupid argument. People are going to go wherever the hell they feel like going.

Comment

I don't go to my local 2600 meetings because they suck. It's a bunch of high school kids who sit around and gossip. If the gossip happens to wander on topic, they list it as a "topic discussed" in the meeting notes.
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
        I don't go to my local 2600 meetings because they suck. It's a bunch of high school kids who sit around and gossip. If the gossip happens to wander on topic, they list it as a "topic discussed" in the meeting notes.
        I don't know about you, but as soon as they start following Robert's rules I am outta there...

It's about freedom of speech and learning. I have no clue why one would need to 'take notes'...

Comment

Well we don't need Robert's Rules but we sure don't want to take the time and money to go hang out with Beavis and Butthead.

That's a good argment for more than one meeting point. For example if folks meet me July 12th and the turnout is lousy, then I know they want to be elsewhere, and that's cool. But if there is a large turnout it means that those folks are looking for something they cannot find elsewhere, and that's cool too.

Stay as long as it is enjoyable, and if it sucks, start a new group!

Comment

I have yet to go to a meeting, but I am hoping it is more than people just sitting down staring at each other, and watching people hang out in their cliques.

I think groups should be formed for a purpose, such as creating something, or handling projects that actually pan out. Also have talks on new and old things, a little history, etc. I like the idea that I hear of where each week different people must give a talk about something useful, or associated with someone's skill set. such "cross-training" can help the group grow and become stronger in knowledge. Also minutes should be kept, however informally. Struture and organization is good when wanting to get things completed. Having such agenda pre-planned can have people make a choice to whether they want to attend a meeting, or whether new visitors find something of interest.

Comment

i agree with the 'beavis and butthead' and the 'structure' comments...

but if its too damn formal it just drives me nuts. of course its not about a 'social hour' but then again, if we didnt enjoy it, would we all be even attempting to check it out every month???

im sure there is an equilibrium somewhere in there...

Comment

Well my meet with Blackwave went very well. I think it went like most meetings should go.

We both could afford our beer.
                We both knew enough to hold a conversation.
                If we had questions we asked, and were not called lamers for not knowing.
                We had mutual respect for the other's points of view.
                And we had a great time!

If I get to a meeting and it turns out to be high school kids giggling at swear words, I'm so out of there.

Comment

sounds like the textbook meet. too bad they arent all like that...

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                    Well my meet with Blackwave went very well. I think it went like most meetings should go.

We both could afford our beer.
                    We both knew enough to hold a conversation.
                    If we had questions we asked, and were not called lamers for not knowing.
                    We had mutual respect for the other's points of view.
                    And we had a great time!

If I get to a meeting and it turns out to be high school kids giggling at swear words, I'm so out of there.
                    Yes I had a great time with astcell, hopefully we can meet up with more people next time as well... it would be cool after our introductions settle(a couple of more meetings) we can perhaps structure some type of cross training from something we want to talk about, or put ideas in front of others in the group... I think it would be nice to use the advantage of a meeting to generate ideas, and even develop them, as well as help others build their skill sets.

But I am not too sure if this is what everyone else wants. I personally find it relaxing :)

PS in case anyone is interested I posted more detail of Friday night here:
                    http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=510
                    Last edited by blackwave; July 13, 2002, 14:36.

Comment

I would love to attend 2600 meetings. There may be some actives around here that I just can't seem to find, but as to my knowledge there is nothing remotely clear for me to partake in. It's a real tricky thing.. getting geeks to:

want to do something
                      want to do something productive
                      want to do something productive without getting overly distracted

My brain flashes back to that group that would gather to huddle around the altair and make it do things... well, more valuable than blink lights. My memory lacks their name, but if I recall correctly Wozniak was a part.

Is 2600 just fading out of itself? I know disgust over the magazine was evident in a previous thread...
                      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Maybe the current 2600 folks are just getting too old for their own good. Maybe we need more rules enforcement. Or maybe we just need to relax a little.

Comment

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
                          Is 2600 just fading out of itself? I know disgust over the magazine was evident in a previous thread...
                          It is good to talk politics and theology once in a while... but a hacking group should stick to what it does best.... set aside all differences and get something done...

personally I think people are getting lazy with the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
                            I would love to attend 2600 meetings. There may be some actives around here that I just can't seem to find, but as to my knowledge there is nothing remotely clear for me to partake in. It's a real tricky thing.. getting geeks to:

want to do something
                            want to do something productive
                            want to do something productive without getting overly distracted
                            Those are pretty much the main problems with any group. And, to be realistic, you can't expect everyone to necessarily be interested in a given project, nor can you force them to be. Best you can hope for is an exchange of ideas resulting in collaboration amongst interested parties.

My brain flashes back to that group that would gather to huddle around the altair and make it do things... well, more valuable than blink lights. My memory lacks their name, but if I recall correctly Wozniak was a part.
                            That was the Homebrew Computer Club. Spawned the Apple I.

Dunno. H2K2 was this past weekend, and they made their dislike of Defcon pretty well-known - http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/26198.html (thanks to blackwave for that), so I guess they're trying to become the only game in town by lambasting everyone else. Feeble, if you ask me.

Also, as both the guy ripping in to the magazine in a previous thread and the guy who runs the L.A. meet, I see the meetings as separate from the magazine. For as many things as I disagree with in the magazine (which would be most of them), I can see the value of the meetings, and that they don't represent the views of the magazine neceessarily.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

It is good to talk politics and theology once in a while... but a hacking group should stick to what it does best.... set aside all differences and get something done...

personally I think people are getting lazy with the internet.
                              i agree totally. i just wish everyone else had the same viewpoints...

maybe since H2K2 is 1337, defcon should promote their OWN meets??? its ridiculous to bash each other, we are all in the same group so to speak... its self-destructive... fuck em', maybe we should just do our own? :D

Comment

Working...
                              X