This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamper Evident Research Thread

Use this thread to discuss tools and techniques, as well as post research materials you have found. I'll take the good links to documents, web sites, etc., and post them back into the references section of the contest announcement so everyone has a single place to refer to if they don't want to follow this thread.

Good luck!
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Re: Tamper Evident Research Thread

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
    Use this thread to discuss tools and techniques, as well as post research materials you have found. I'll take the good links to documents, web sites, etc., and post them back into the references section of the contest announcement so everyone has a single place to refer to if they don't want to follow this thread.

Good luck!
    I am guessing:

Version .1 super obv list:
    • a hair dryer
      some exacto type knives
      fine picks
      probles
      small drill
      dremel tool?
      cpu cooling spray - used to see through envelopes.. and to cool.
      Digital camera or video to document
      files
      pliers / pincers of different sizes
      some sort of glues / tapes
      lights
      magnifying glasses
      From HexJunkie: awesome powers of STEAM!
      From FirmWarez:
      * various solvents -- alcohol, acetone, "goo-gone", cancer in a can
      * ultrasonic jewelry cleaner
      * home freezing wart remover or other controllable super cold source
      * assortment of thin wire -- MIG wire to super small magnet winding wire
      * thin nichrome wire & power source
      * dental picks
      * single ended razor blades
      * plastic tuning wands
      * wooden skewers/popsicle sticks
      * tweezers
      * hemostat
      * neodymium magnets
      * alternative light sources (UV, IR) IR can be used with many video/web cams, some things look different under IR

But would love to get actual lists and details.
    Last edited by Dark Tangent; June 16, 2010, 14:25.
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Don't forget the awesome powers of STEAM!
      Originally posted by Ellen
      Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Additional tools/supplies:
        • various solvents -- alcohol, acetone, "goo-gone", cancer in a can
        • ultrasonic jewelry cleaner
        • home freezing wart remover or other controllable super cold source
        • assortment of thin wire -- MIG wire to super small magnet winding wire
        • thin nichrome wire & power source
        • dental picks
        • single ended razor blades
        • plastic tuning wands
        • wooden skewers/popsicle sticks
        • tweezers
        • hemostat
        • neodymium magnets
        • alternative light sources (UV, IR) IR can be used with many video/web cams, some things look different under IR
        Last edited by FirmWarez; June 16, 2010, 13:58. Reason: to add magnets
        TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

I'll add this...

An Iron or Flat Iron with ceramic plates ( for straightening hair), Since it does both sides. I've found it to be very useful when opening and resealing things. A tiny craft iron is $10 bucks and hides well, never heats too hot either. But with the straightening Iron, you can control the heat.

Ok, and hairspray works to replace a few things too. Hairspray is fkn awesome.
          "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

I have updated the original rules

https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=11447

With a list of the seals and ties and tags I just ordered from uline.

Get practicing!

Comment

Great list, I see TSA in my future or Fedex. Is it bad of me to not share my thoughts and tools until after the contest ;)

I am guessing:

Version .1 super obv list:
              • a hair dryer
                some exacto type knives
                fine picks
                probles
                small drill
                dremel tool?
                cpu cooling spray - used to see through envelopes.. and to cool.
                Digital camera or video to document
                files
                pliers / pincers of different sizes
                some sort of glues / tapes
                lights
                magnifying glasses
                From HexJunkie: awesome powers of STEAM!
                From FirmWarez:
                * various solvents -- alcohol, acetone, "goo-gone", cancer in a can
                * ultrasonic jewelry cleaner
                * home freezing wart remover or other controllable super cold source
                * assortment of thin wire -- MIG wire to super small magnet winding wire
                * thin nichrome wire & power source
                * dental picks
                * single ended razor blades
                * plastic tuning wands
                * wooden skewers/popsicle sticks
                * tweezers
                * hemostat
                * neodymium magnets
                * alternative light sources (UV, IR) IR can be used with many video/web cams, some things look different under IR

But would love to get actual lists and details.
              Last edited by Dallas; June 25, 2010, 07:38. Reason: I cant type worth a crap.
              +++ Dallas +++

Comment

Think about bags, envelopes, tapes, stickers, as well as the tags 'n stuff from the rule announcements.

I'm just sayin'

Comment

So is no one preparing, or is no one walking about their tools and what research they have done to prep?

Comment

Perhaps some have of us are messing with TE tags we shouldn't be. I think there are some telco people a little upset with me about town. I have a nice gift box I'll be shipping to the hotel right before con. I have to find substitutes for some chemicals that I can't mail. Most of my research has been on the chemical side, and how they interact with fabrics/paper/ink.
                    Vell, WiK's just zis guy

Comment

Originally posted by WiK View Post
                      Perhaps some have of us are messing with TE tags we shouldn't be. I think there are some telco people a little upset with me about town.
                      I don't think practicing on real TE tags, or announcing it publicly, is the intent of this contest...
                      "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

So is no one preparing, or is no one walking about their tools and what research they have done to prep?
                        I have this funny feeling that folks are working on this but aren't talking :-)

http://theamazingking.com/images/seal1.JPG
                        http://theamazingking.com/images/seal2.JPG
                        http://theamazingking.com/images/seal3.JPG

There are very few details out on established techniques but that just makes it more fun. Also, it should lead to a pretty diverse collection of methods. Although no one is releasing findings pre-con, this will push the issue of seal security well into the open imho. This contest will be made of win.

Comment

Originally posted by jkthecjer View Post
                          I have this funny feeling that folks are working on this but aren't talking :-)

http://theamazingking.com/images/seal1.JPG
                          http://theamazingking.com/images/seal2.JPG
                          http://theamazingking.com/images/seal3.JPG

There are very few details out on established techniques but that just makes it more fun. Also, it should lead to a pretty diverse collection of methods. Although no one is releasing findings pre-con, this will push the issue of seal security well into the open imho. This contest will be made of win.
                          Excellent, that is what I am talking about. At the end I hope to have lots of new content to share with the world. I have enough stuff to take the contest on the road to other cons if it is popular and the bugs can be worked out.

Comment

In short, preparing, but not talking :)

+++ Dallas +++

Comment

Your list to date sure seems good to me; gave me some ideas I had not considered. So I will only add petroleum naphtha, and a small torch, such as a Weller soldering iron with blowtorch attachment or similar.

This looks to be a highly educational experience. Glad we still have a week to study!
                              Last edited by snideology; July 20, 2010, 21:23. Reason: Late night type-o! Or greasy fingers, either way
                              The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

Working...
                              X