Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ride Share

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Ride Share

    The real question is, are bullet holes covered under the rental car damage waiver?

    xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Ride Share

      Originally posted by xor View Post
      The real question is, are bullet holes covered under the rental car damage waiver?

      xor
      short answer, yes :)
      Originally posted by Ellen
      Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Ride Share

        Originally posted by kajer View Post
        The HackBus will be arriving very early Thursday at the Rivera, then leaving to the shoot. There will be plenty of cargo space for whatever you have, and yourself.

        checkout hackbus.net or hackb.us for more info, email 'evil mofo' or 'fpenguin' for more info
        Am I the only one envisioning the "assault on yoyodyne" scene from Buckaroo Banzai?
        TSA luvs my Uzi.

        "We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Ride Share

          ...

          Nevermind, I am an idiot and failed to follow -all- links to information.

          Nothing to see here, move along. >.>
          Last edited by Shirogitsune; July 9, 2010, 19:05.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Ride Share

            Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
            I drove a minivan to it last year and had no problem with bottoming-out. Also, if the hackbus arrives early/first, before any tables are setup and any firing line is setup, there would be enough room to turn around in the space where cars park and position the bus to be pointed in the right direction when people go to leave. How much space you will have to turn around will depend on how, when and where people park their cars when the bus arrives.

            Google Maps for the site used last year

            Consider the road is a dirt road, about 1.5 x width of a freeway lane. Technically, you could get two cars passing each other if both cars drive on what passes for a shoulder. Use that width as a scale to estimate the turning space you will need inside the space where the cars park.

            Here is what I sort-of remember from how the space was used during Defcon 17:



            The black paint is roughly what I remember of where cars were parked. The Red lines show where some tables were setup under a tent/cover provided by Merlin (?) IIRC, who also arrived first at the site to reserve it last year. (Not totally sure about that. Merlin or Deviant Ollam will hopefully correct me if this is not accurate.) The Yellow paint shows roughly where the people lined up to fire weapons, firing them west from that line. As you can see, without cars parked there, and people walking around, and the range/area-to-fire (with tables) setup, there is plenty of room to turn around. Once things get setup, there is greater restriction to turning, but a multi-point turn-around should still be possible if your driver is skilled. It might even make more sense to advance the bus beyond the entrance, and then back in, to have the bus forward-facing directly east. No idea how bad rain would make that road. Some of the dirt in Las Vegas is like a light clay that becomes a trap for cars. The dirt near the Las Vegas Shooting Park was like this. My rental would have become stuck in that if we drove into it. The road is dirt the last half (or so) leading to the site that was used last year. Maybe a local person can describe how bad this dirt road would be if it rained.

            Just went out to this site today. If you go up Blue Diamond rd then it is paved the entire way. No problem for cars and a bus could turn around no problem.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Ride Share

              Originally posted by jcbxcalibr View Post
              Just went out to this site today. If you go up Blue Diamond rd then it is paved the entire way. No problem for cars and a bus could turn around no problem.
              So, from Blue Diamond Rd (160) all the way through to Lovell Canyon Rd and to the site at 36 05'41.24"N 115 33'55.64"W, it is paved and not dirt/gravel?

              I know the large area off the road is dirt, but thought that Lovell Canyon Rd changed from a paved road to an unpaved road of dirt and gravel. Could you confirm it is paved all the way from 160 through Lovell Canyon Rd to where the site is shown on the map?

              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Ride Share

                Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                So, from Blue Diamond Rd (160) all the way through to Lovell Canyon Rd and to the site at 36 05'41.24"N 115 33'55.64"W, it is paved and not dirt/gravel?

                I know the large area off the road is dirt, but thought that Lovell Canyon Rd changed from a paved road to an unpaved road of dirt and gravel. Could you confirm it is paved all the way from 160 through Lovell Canyon Rd to where the site is shown on the map?

                Thanks!
                Yes, you are correct. The site off the road is dirt but it is paved all the way to 160. Went out there shooting this past Saturday. Pretty sure though if you try to come up the other way through Rock Gap Rd there are spots that are not paved.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Ride Share

                  Given the sheer number of people with car spots this year, I'd like to consolidate with someone. I had planned on driving so that I could make sure I would get back for B-Sides. If anyone else is driving, and planning on getting back for that, or riding and planning on getting back for that, let me know and we can reduce the number of cars at the site.

                  Mel
                  Secretary

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Ride Share

                    Originally posted by Melesse View Post
                    Given the sheer number of people with car spots this year, I'd like to consolidate with someone. I had planned on driving so that I could make sure I would get back for B-Sides. If anyone else is driving, and planning on getting back for that, or riding and planning on getting back for that, let me know and we can reduce the number of cars at the site.

                    Mel
                    Still plenty of room on the Hackbus

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Ride Share

                      Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
                      short answer, yes :)
                      The long answer must be an interesting one as it must include how the heck you know this to be true.
                      GnuPG-Fingerprint:
                      F164 738F 16BF FDBF F0B6 5720 C986 8AF7 5F41 97BE

                      V5 vi veri Vniversum vivus vici

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Ride Share

                        Originally posted by Rewt Daemon View Post
                        The long answer must be an interesting one as it must include how the heck you know this to be true.
                        This will make for a great story at con. I believe I'll share if you remind me at the shoot. If anyone gets a rental car with the rental car insurance, I'll be happy to demonstrate :)

                        Rest assured that a permanently embedded washing machine, a broken windshield, 12 ga bullet holes, and a dent in the rear bumper are all covered by the insurance policy.
                        Originally posted by Ellen
                        Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Ride Share

                          Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
                          I believe I'll share if you remind me at the shoot.
                          As long as I am still able to get out there with Xor I will get you to do just that.
                          GnuPG-Fingerprint:
                          F164 738F 16BF FDBF F0B6 5720 C986 8AF7 5F41 97BE

                          V5 vi veri Vniversum vivus vici

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Ride Share

                            Originally posted by Rewt Daemon View Post
                            As long as I am still able to get out there with Xor I will get you to do just that.
                            Yes, yes you are. Sorry if I didn't respond sooner. Old age creeping in. Short of something terrible happening, all is as planned.

                            xor
                            Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Ride Share

                              Time to beg for a ride...hopefully someone is still checking the forums. Have Uzi, will travel...if u give me a ride!
                              TSA luvs my Uzi.

                              "We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Ride Share

                                Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
                                Time to beg for a ride...hopefully someone is still checking the forums. Have Uzi, will travel...if u give me a ride!
                                Hackbus said they have room, I'm guessing they still do. (I am not affiliated)

                                I know they are on the road now, but they are supposed to be out front when everyone is leaving.
                                Originally posted by Ellen
                                Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X