This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC18 Network - The Official Soundtrack, er Thread

The network will be different this year. If you follow the posts on http://www.defconnetworking.org/ you will have heard. For everyone else, there's this.

We're providing two WLAN's at DefCon this year:
    DefCon (open)
    DefCon-Secure (WPA2'd)

We'll have info at the reg desk (er, I should tell TW) about how to connect to "Secure."

In short, we consider we're now (okay, yes, after 18 years) in "Phase 2".
    Phase 1: create a stable network for DefCon. Check.
    Phase 2: Make it so people want to use it.

Mobile devices are becoming huge - you don't always have a way to secure those the way you would a laptop or desktop. Last year was a good example - tons of iPhones (and Apple pub'd an OS update day 1 of DefCon--so much for 3G in the area). I expect a lot of Android phones this year. Mobile devices, I expect, will be everywhere. So it only makes sense to have a network that they can use without fear.

Plus, we have an imperial butt-load of bandwidth this year, and with secure wifi, I'm expect you all to use it! (far, far more b/w than even last year).

"But Lock, the FAQ says..."
    yes yes. It's old and wrong. I'm working to get that updated in the next couple days.

So in a nutshell, we're going to encrypt your OTA traffic. We're going to trunk traffic from the Aruba controller straight to the firewall. No sniffing allow, peer-to-peer communication will be disabled. It's straight from your device to the Internet.

If you want to swap & trade warez, c0d3z, or play with network traffic - the open network is for you. We trap and control common DOS attacks, MITM, poisoning attempts, etc.

Both networks will have access to any public servers hosted on-site, whether official DefCon servers (like DCTV) or contest servers - either network will be able to get to those no problem.

So that's the layout - shoot over any questions, comments, hate mail. If I don't respond right away, hit me up -at-defconnetworking.org (the forums don''t ever email me about replies or PM's anymore, CotMan must hate me j/k).

Cheers,
    Lock

Re: DC18 Network - The Official Soundtrack, er Thread

1. Yay WPA2!!!!
    2. 3G sucks donkey balls.
    3. Has anyone done any 4G war-walking inside the hotel...just curious...4G with openvpn will be my first/preferred choice of connection.

xor
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Re: DC18 Network - The Official Soundtrack, er Thread

Originally posted by Lockheed View Post
      We're providing two WLAN's at DefCon this year:
      DefCon (open)
      DefCon-Secure (WPA2'd)

Cheers,
      Lock
      I think Admiral Ackbar has something to say in reference to this...
      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Working...
      X