Answers to Common Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Answers to Common Questions

We often get these sorts of questions as the Shoot is being planned... here are the official answers...

Can i carry my firearms on my person at the shoot?

Nevada is an Open Carry state with laws that preempt any local regulations. State residents have to comply with "registration" paperwork, but if you're from out-of-town that doesn't affect you until two months' time spent in the state.

If you want to wear a pistol on your hip at the Shoot or have your firearms slung across your back that is legal, but all the same provisions of safety apply. During a cold range, those firearms need to stay totally untouched and holstered/slung. No handling, loading, etc. Anyone who can't respect that would do well to just keep their steel on a table at all time.

Concealed carry is permissible in Nevada, but only with proper permits. Bear in mind, Utah and Florida CCW permits are no longer honored in Nevada.

Where should i store my firearms when i'm not at the shoot?

You're all big boys and girls... many of you even have jobs that deal with questions of security every day. I think you can figure it out.

My two cents... hotel rooms are safe than parked cars in hotel garages. Having guns in locked boxes or cases and having those cases locked to something else (or just locked together in one big stack) is a pretty good bet. Add a "do not disturb" sign to the room door 24/7 and you're more than covered, i feel.

If you're totally paranoid about the room rush bed-jumping monkeys forcing their way into your suite or something... just mail your guns back home to yourself right after you clean them or something.

Can i shoot exotic shotgun rounds like Dragon's Breath, etc?

Ugh. The bigger question is "why would you want to?" because they're pretty bad for your barrel a lot of the time. Beyond that, we're in a desert with lots of scrub brush and dried vegetation which can be a fire risk. I'd stay away from making 10 foot long flames blast out of your muzzle.

Flechette rounds, rubber buckshot, and all the other stuff you see in Soldier-of-Fortune magazines... meh, as long as you shoot it safely and it has no chance of bouncing back towards the line, whatever.

Can i shoot at exotic targets?

It depends on your definition of exotic... non-paper targets are ok as long as they are not going to (a) make an environmentally-unsafe mess or (b) cause problems for the rest of us.

If you want to go all office-space on a printer or old computer... sure, be my guest... but be mindful of just how much you blast at it, because we're going to insist that you pick up all the pieces when you're done and not leave a bunch of circuit boards laying out there to leech mercury into the soil.

If you want to shoot fruit and other organic material, feel free. It will all just decompose and not be a problem. We don't care.

Now the big question that comes up every year (this year is no exception)... Tannerite

Look, i love tannerite. We all do. But historically, it's been the cause of some significant problems when people mix up batches that are irresponsibly large and then attract the attention of nearby LEOs. last summer we even saw a carload of police who wanted to shoot out in the area (and who were forced to go down to a spot further along the road when they saw us already set up in that place)

So, the rule this year (as always) remains... "We're sorry, but Tannerite is not sanctioned for use at the DEFCON Shoot." That said, sometimes people stick around at the shoot site to have some fun on their own after the official group departs. the firing lines are sometimes altered and people get to do some long-range stuff, etc. If you choose to stay at the site beyond 11 AM (the official time the shoot ends) you are, of course, free to do whatever you wish (as long as it's legal in Nevada)

Do not make group plans for any such activities here on the forums. Do not publicly advertise or try to recruit people into staying later when you're at the shoot. Anything that happens once i and the main group depart is your own affair. We expect you to conduct yourselves sensibly (as people in the after-party always have in the past) and you recognize that you are not participating in any official event at all at that time.

Thank you for understanding and for not mixing up any sort of binary targets during the DEFCON Shoot. If you do, you will be asked to leave.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Answers to Common Questions

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
    State residents have to comply with "registration" paperwork, but if you're from out-of-town that doesn't affect you until two months' time spent in the state.
    Correction in regards to "registration".

The state of Nevada does not have a "registration" system.

Clark County has a "handgun registration" system.

Non-residents of Clark County are not required to register their handguns with the LVMPD, unless they stay in Clark County for more than 60 days.

Nevada Revised Statue 244.364
    1. Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county may infringe upon those rights and powers. As used in this subsection, “firearm” means any weapon from which a projectile is discharged by means of an explosive, spring, gas, air or other force.
    2. A board of county commissioners may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms.
    3. If a board of county commissioners in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the board of county commissioners shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require:
    (a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the county before registration of such a firearm is required.
    (b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the county upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.
    4. Except as otherwise provided in subsection 1, as used in this section:
    (a) “Firearm” means any device designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile may be expelled through the barrel by the force of any explosion or other form of combustion.
    (b) “Firearm capable of being concealed” includes all firearms having a barrel less than 12 inches in length.
    (c) “Pistol” means a firearm capable of being concealed that is intended to be aimed and fired with one hand.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

I have heard that you guys need some help with putting on the shoot, such as a range officer. I am willing to help out with this, I have no official experience with it, but I would like to help make this as safe as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by GbusCrizist View Post
        I have heard that you guys need some help with putting on the shoot, such as a range officer. I am willing to help out with this, I have no official experience with it, but I would like to help make this as safe as possible.
        we are always happy to have people who volunteer to act as RSOs.

typically, we have two to three range officers at any given time. their principal job is to enforce the firing line... ensuring that no one crosses when it is hot and that no weapon handling takes place when it is cold.

actual behavior of participants at the shoot (muzzle discipline, dealing with hang-fires, etc) is a more individual affair, with everyone keeping an eye on their neighbor as a matter of routine and feeling empowered to speak up if they see something.

if you would like to act as an RSO, please feel free to post in the thread i'll be starting in a moment.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
        X