X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHV Talks to accompany kits

Ok-

Russ and I have been working to bring good kits this year-

And the push has been to really reach out to those who may not feel as "leet" as others- We are really reaching out to those who want to get started as EASILY AS POSSIBLE.

To facilitate this, there will be guided presentations based on the vend kits this year. As always, there will be a limited number of kits, and we sell out every year.

We will also be looking to run "as requested" lessons in the HHV.

We will have stuff for the more advanced folks too, but the HHV was born out of the impromptu robotics teaching session I ran at Defcon several years back, where we were all sitting on the contest area floor building robots. I want to get back to that feeling- I simply walked through Defcon shouting "who wants to build a robot"- and by the time I had a number of people we formed a circle, and sat on the floor in the middle of the contest area.

So come, and enjoy.

LosT

Re: HHV Talks to accompany kits

Originally posted by LosT View Post
    We will have stuff for the more advanced folks too, but the HHV was born out of the impromptu robotics teaching session I ran at Defcon several years back, where we were all sitting on the contest area floor building robots. I want to get back to that feeling- I simply walked through Defcon shouting "who wants to build a robot"- and by the time I had a number of people we formed a circle, and sat on the floor in the middle of the contest area.
    My robot still works like a champ.
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

I plan on spending at least a total of a day in the HHV - I'm a noob in hardware hacking, so I'll definitely want to pick up a kit, or at least get a "shopping list" and thenI head to Fry's... will the kit contents be posted beforehand?... just want to make sure I don't lose time (and talks) trying to obtain material that has already been sold out.

- Tom Wilhelm

Comment

I can tell you that there are 3 kits this year, and we are getting them to you guys at 40% off retail prices. Some very good friends have given us parts at below their own manufacture costs. I have personally spent hours (and I'm already busy) getting prices stupidly low for you guys. You would spend way more at fry or on digikey than getting these defcon deals I've been able to swing.

Comment

I hope I can snag one this year. I headed up there, but by that time the room was covered in solder and there was no sign of kits. Heh. At this rate I'm going to need a swag budget.

Comment

Will the kits be at the Swag booth starting Thursday?

Comment

Awesome. Glad to hear you guys are going to be around a bit more. It always helps when you have stuff to do...it's harder to get out of :)
              #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Comment

I can tell you that there are 3 kits this year, and we are getting them to you guys at 40% off retail prices. Some very good friends have given us parts at below their own manufacture costs. I have personally spent hours (and I'm already busy) getting prices stupidly low for you guys. You would spend way more at fry or on digikey than getting these defcon deals I've been able to swing.
                I absolutely believe that your kits will be cheaper than heading over to Fry's; my concern is what happens when I'm in line to buy one (or three?), and the guy in front of me buys the last one. O_o That's all. I will certainly try to buy from you - but Murphy usually rides me like I'm his bitch.

- Tom Wilhelm

Comment

Also, for those who might not know this, but the Vendor area has moved this year, so know where you're going before you get confused and have to walk halfway across the Riviera.

https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-18/dc-18-venue.html

Comment

And the push has been to really reach out to those who may not feel as "leet" as others- We are really reaching out to those who want to get started as EASILY AS POSSIBLE.

To facilitate this, there will be guided presentations based on the vend kits this year. As always, there will be a limited number of kits, and we sell out every year.

We will also be looking to run "as requested" lessons in the HHV.
                    LosT
                    I am planning on bringing supplies to replicate last years black box. So if there is time and interest, I hope to do a small present on some basics of how it was made, and supplies to make/mod your own.

TieShort
                    -------------------------------------
                    Vaka vanha Väinämöinen
                    käski nuoren, käski vanhan

Comment

What will be in the kits?
                      @Six_Volts

Comment

I saw someone ask, but did not see a reply. At the risk of belaboring the point, where are they going to be on sale? I seem to remember getting kits at the Swag Booth last year, but I could be wrong.

Mel
                        Secretary

Comment

The kits were available from a vendor last year.

I'll try to get you an answer before the con, but we'll certainly have this figured out at the HHV.

Comment

Working...
                          X