Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Mortem

Wow.

I don't actually have sufficient words to describe that event.

I'm still in Vegas, unwinding, getting ready to rejoin the rest of my life (already in progress), but I wanted to get a few things down here before I forgot them.

1/ A big thank you to everyone who helped both before, during and after the actual 90 minutes.

2/ A special thank you to Wil (@wintr) for pulling off the excellent 10,000c Hacker Pyramid Question Interface BETA v0.9 -- I've been promised that the timer will be integrated and that clues will come up one at a time (so as to have automated scoring) for next year.

3/ Had a great 5 minute discussion with Winn, Nikita and Pyr0 subsequent to the closing ceremonies during which we determined that there will be no overlap next year. We'll be on Saturday from 7-9 and Hacker Jeopardy will follow us from 9-11+. This is in keeping with the conversation that I had with Winn prior to the first Hacker Pyramid -- we're the G to PG-13ish rated game show for people who aren't quite up to the antics of those crazy Jeopardy bastards.

4/ Unsurprisingly, there was the usual hassle with getting the contestants and celebrities matched up. Next year, we're going to do something about this. In all likelihood we're going to take advantage of the fact that Ashley will be doing pre-qualifications for Jeopardy and there's something to be said for the poetic parallel of having Jillian work with Ashley to get Pyramid contestants pre-qualified as well.

5/ Making up for the game play which spent too much time on the first part of the game and not enough on the last part, I'm making a formal change to the game play which will permit us to build suspense faster and also to make the championship round count for something. Watch for details to be posted soon - I'll ping this thread with updates until the DC19 forums are set up.

6/ With the move to the Rio and the addition of 5 DCTV channels, there was a suggestion that there should be a DEF CON Game Show Channel. This might actually have a non-zero chance of happening. If it does, I promise to wear bad television make up - really shatner it up a few notches.

I think that's all for now... if you've got photographs or video from the event, please let me know so we can get that up and online asap. I've got 12gb of video from a point-and-shoot camera that I'll be combing through for the good stuff.

Again, thanks to everyone. I had a blast.

Re: Post Mortem

Awesome event, and I was just an audience member. The scheduling conflict was the only sore spot, but am glad to hear that it will be resolved for next year. When they were going around asking for volunteers to play, I wish I had not turned it down. But, I had no clue what the game even was (never watched the original). Now that I know what to expect, I would definitely try to volunteer next year.

Some of the contestants were really bad at it, then again so were the celebrities (cough spacerog cough). But, that led to some of the best moments of the game.

About Quine... well... I got nothing. I'm trying to black that out. Numerous nightmares.

Which makes me think that there's something in the water up in New England.... ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rurik View Post
      But, I had no clue what the game even was (never watched the original). Now that I know what to expect, I would definitely try to volunteer next year.

Some of the contestants were really bad at it, then again so were the celebrities (cough spacerog cough). But, that led to some of the best moments of the game.

About Quine... well... I got nothing. I'm trying to black that out. Numerous nightmares.

Which makes me think that there's something in the water up in New England.... ?
      Thanks very much for the feedback - you've actually hit on a very important point - we're going to have to screen some "How you play" video to ensure that both contestants and ESPECIALLY celebrities are up to speed on how to play the game.

I'm going to take ruthless advantage of some of the $OTHER_CON events to show off celebrities and potential contestants playing the game correctly and incorrectly.

With regards to the New England contingent - I thought that was normal behaviour on the part of New Englanders.

:)

Comment

I showed up as ask/requested.

I was not listed as one of the contestants, so I left.

The comments about people leaving after 5 min, if directed towards me, were your own doing.

Just saying.

Hope you guys had fun.

LosT

Comment

I really doubt that was pointed towards you. There was other chaos that occurred.... I think all of that is getting fixed next year. I kind of admit I like this contest because it is sooo incredibly anything goes. Just need to tighten it up!

Originally posted by LosT View Post

The comments about people leaving after 5 min, if directed towards me, were your own doing.

LosT
          ======================================
          DJ Jackalope
          dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
          ======================================

Comment

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

For changing the scheduling!

BTW - if you still have my business card - I'm up for helping next year if you need it.
            'jazz

Comment

Working...
            X