Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KegCon for DC19

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KegCon for DC19

    I heard about a hometown brewery swap this year.

    Who wants to have a homebrew contest, swap and party next year?
    Last edited by veruus; August 2, 2010, 23:39. Reason: I don't even know anymore
    cows like candy

  • #2
    KegCon at DC19

    Am I eating crazy pills or have mods been helping this post find its way to the right forum the whole time? Hah!
    cows like candy

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: KegCon for DC19

      Originally posted by veruus View Post
      I heard about a hometown brewery swap this year.

      Who wants to have a homebrew contest, swap and party next year?
      Veruus: There was strong talk about a combination home brew contest and a microbrew event. There was a gentleman there providing an excellent Belgium microbrew, if one is into that flavor (which I heartily am!), and talk about possibly a microbrewery - or more than one - sponsoring the event. While right now frankly I want to keep my mind off anything remotely alcoholic for a bit, if this interests you or others, drop me a note, and I will get ahold of the fellow (presuming his contact info isn't lying in an airport somewhere) and see what we can drum up.

      I was thinking this would be an an excellent skybox event, but perhaps DefCon would prefer this to be at the Toxic?
      The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: KegCon for DC19

        Originally posted by snideology View Post
        Veruus: There was strong talk about a combination home brew contest and a microbrew event. There was a gentleman there providing an excellent Belgium microbrew, if one is into that flavor (which I heartily am!), and talk about possibly a microbrewery - or more than one - sponsoring the event. While right now frankly I want to keep my mind off anything remotely alcoholic for a bit, if this interests you or others, drop me a note, and I will get ahold of the fellow (presuming his contact info isn't lying in an airport somewhere) and see what we can drum up.

        I was thinking this would be an an excellent skybox event, but perhaps DefCon would prefer this to be at the Toxic?
        For those following my RC Bar project..

        I attempted to contact Riv staff this year about having the robot dispense kegs worth of beer to anyone who was of age. The explination was that I would have to purchase a cork fee for opening alchol that is not sanctioned by the Riveria. (Purchase a bar tender, buy it at the ABC store, purchse from a Riv Bar or things like that). I do not know what the RIO's standards will be on this. But definatly talk to Nakita or other people incharge of contacting the venue about any complications that may come from brining home/micro brewed beer to give out. Also take careful consideration to using some kind of system for checking ID's. Such as brining it to a party that verifies age, or checking ID's at the door to hotel rooms that are offering this service. DO NOT JUST BRING A KEG AND PLOP IT DOWN NEXT TO THE POOL. you will cause nothing but heart ache and pain to all persons involved in the scenario and may face criminal / civial fines, penalties, and fees over this.
        Originally posted by Ellen
        Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: KegCon at DC19

          Originally posted by veruus View Post
          Am I eating crazy pills or have mods been helping this post find its way to the right forum the whole time? Hah!
          I often move things to where they should be and leave an expiring "shortcut" or "moved" link from the old place to the new place. This way, the observant user finds the right place to post without me having to post about it. It is much easier for me to just do the thing and avoid drawing attention to the thing that was done. But since you asked, I've provided the above answer.

          I am not a psychologist though, so I can't legally comment on a person's craziness or prescribe crazy pills. ;-)

          If your event does take off and it gets approval from one of the people that approves contests/events, I'll make a forum for it.

          Good luck!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: KegCon at DC19

            Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
            I often move things to where they should be and leave an expiring "shortcut" or "moved" link from the old place to the new place. This way, the observant user finds the right place to post without me having to post about it. It is much easier for me to just do the thing and avoid drawing attention to the thing that was done. But since you asked, I've provided the above answer.

            I am not a psychologist though, so I can't legally comment on a person's craziness or prescribe crazy pills. ;-)

            If your event does take off and it gets approval from one of the people that approves contests/events, I'll make a forum for it.

            Good luck!
            Not sure if it will require an entire sub-forum. I'm cool with a megathread. Whatever floats your boat though. Thanks for the assistance.
            cows like candy

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: KegCon for DC19

              Originally posted by snideology View Post
              I was thinking this would be an an excellent skybox event, but perhaps DefCon would prefer this to be at the Toxic?
              Possibly. We can see how everything shakes out in the interim. I'd mostly like to see fellow brewers and aficionados get precedence and not get swooped in on by alcoholic locusts, but introducing new people to brewing shouldn't be overlooked. I do like the idea, however, of not having to drive 10 miles to go drink very strong beer. ;)

              Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
              For those following my RC Bar project..

              I attempted to contact Riv staff this year about having the robot dispense kegs worth of beer to anyone who was of age. The explination was that I would have to purchase a cork fee for opening alchol that is not sanctioned by the Riveria. (Purchase a bar tender, buy it at the ABC store, purchse from a Riv Bar or things like that). I do not know what the RIO's standards will be on this. But definatly talk to Nakita or other people incharge of contacting the venue about any complications that may come from brining home/micro brewed beer to give out. Also take careful consideration to using some kind of system for checking ID's. Such as brining it to a party that verifies age, or checking ID's at the door to hotel rooms that are offering this service. DO NOT JUST BRING A KEG AND PLOP IT DOWN NEXT TO THE POOL. you will cause nothing but heart ache and pain to all persons involved in the scenario and may face criminal / civial fines, penalties, and fees over this.
              Yeah, we'll definitely have to see what kind of hoops will have to be jumped through as far as "corking" and ID checks. I'm cool with all that. Not terribly interested in corrupting minors (or being caught doing it, anyway) 500 miles from home.


              Let's see where this goes. I'm glad there's a little interest so early. ;)
              cows like candy

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: KegCon for DC19

                Keep me updated and I'll drive my bot out to enjoy the Vegas heat!
                Originally posted by Ellen
                Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: KegCon for DC19

                  Originally posted by veruus View Post
                  I do like the idea, however, of not having to drive 10 miles to go drink very strong beer.
                  Yep, there is that. and other issues, including the age checking. I'm not so worried about getting nailed, but it would be a bad thing for the DC.

                  But there are other ways to get to the Toxic (do NOT tale the DC bus!!!!!), and in fact limos were running about $5/person.

                  But this notion of RC kegs interests me. Well, ok, and everyone else I imagine. Do you have a pic Hex?
                  The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: KegCon for DC19

                    Its in the social forum under New Project I think.

                    Hexjunkie's New Project

                    I am working on a refrigriation design that works on 24 volt a the moment so there is no more need for ice :)
                    Last edited by hexjunkie; August 4, 2010, 08:18. Reason: Added Link
                    Originally posted by Ellen
                    Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: KegCon for DC19

                      Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
                      Its in the social forum under New Project I think.

                      Hexjunkie's New Project

                      I am working on a refrigriation design that works on 24 volt a the moment so there is no more need for ice :)
                      Originally posted by DEFCON Forums
                      veruus, you do not have permission to access this page.
                      I've been hoodwinked!
                      cows like candy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: KegCon for DC19

                        Originally posted by veruus View Post
                        I've been hoodwinked!
                        Naw, you just have not been around in a while...

                        A few years back, there was interest in having a space on the forums that was "like the old days" with fewer rules, where flaming was allowed, and more like the old west.

                        To answer that, and not add noise to the forums that other people preferred not to see, we created a new forum called "/dev/random" and made it "user subscribable". We announced it in the forums and we forced and force all new users signing up to the forums to be part of the user-subscribable usergroup that gives them access to it, but allow them to leave it any time they want. For users accounts that existed before /dev/ranom, we did not force a subscription.

                        The details of how to join "All_Social" are described here. Basic summary: you visit your forum UserCP, enroll in a usergroup "All_Aocial" and you can now see and post to /dev/random ... Read the rules in that forum. You will see that there are very few rules so you can flame users there if you want. We pretty much just say: No Politics/Religion, No Spam, and Nothing illegal. Also, search engines don't index /dev/random as it is not available to non-users of the forums like "guest" users.

                        If you later decide it is not for you, visit your UserCP again and remove yourself from "All_Social" and the forum is now invisible to you and searches will not provide results in that forum either.

                        Good luck!
                        -Cot

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: KegCon for DC19

                          Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                          Naw, you just have not been around in a while...

                          <destructions here>

                          Good luck!
                          -Cot
                          Sorted. Thanks.

                          hexjunkie: that looks tits. That thread also answered a few of my questions about hotel policy in general. I wonder if a hotel room is "private" enough to not be an issue. Definitely not looking to throw a rager, but a decent get-together would be nice. Perhaps Toxic BBQ would be a good spot after all.
                          cows like candy

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: KegCon for DC19

                            Originally posted by veruus View Post
                            Sorted. Thanks.

                            hexjunkie: that looks tits. That thread also answered a few of my questions about hotel policy in general. I wonder if a hotel room is "private" enough to not be an issue. Definitely not looking to throw a rager, but a decent get-together would be nice. Perhaps Toxic BBQ would be a good spot after all.
                            I'm thinking the same thing, though policies have changed tis year with the move, perhaps you should start the inquries to the rio about backpack keg, keg con, and rc bar to keep things ordered.

                            If you won't I'll get started on it sometime around shmoo once project is running full capacity.
                            Originally posted by Ellen
                            Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: KegCon for DC19

                              Originally posted by snideology View Post
                              (do NOT tale the DC bus!!!!!)
                              Are you referring to the HackBus (bus != owned by defcon)? Why not take it? Its a great way to get to and from, its a hell of a lot of fun, and if you need to bring large items (kegs, tanks, chillers) there is storage room. Thats how I always got all 4 of my kegs to the park.

                              If I remember correctly, there used to be a homebrewers meetup at con. There was also HoochWars (which significantly changed over the years).

                              Given the Riv's ruleset and knack for freaking out, I would have said this would be a very difficult thing to do. The Rio may be a lot easier. The rooms are all larger, which will facilitate more people giving and partaking in tastings. On the same note though, they may have much higher cork fees.

                              My suggestion would be to make sure its and very very unofficial, disconnected from defcon event. If you are to do it, you have to make sure that tis a bunch of people interested in homebrewing, who just so happen to be meeting at the same time and place. Offsite may make the event easier to host, but it would make it less desirable to attend.



                              All that said, I'm in. I brought cider a couple years straight and it went fast. I would love to meetup with more brewers and do a tasting/bottle swap.
                              Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X