Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Music Events Wrap-Up and Ideas for Next Year!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Events Wrap-Up and Ideas for Next Year!

From an organization perspective, this year went pretty smoothly for us in part with MASSIVE thanks to help from Krisz Klink, Zziks (and of course Lockheed and the NOC, QM, and Dispatch goons). The talent was hot. The decor was hot. Chillout was packed. Attendances at our evening events fluctuated but definitely had some memorable moments!

Pool would have been great were it not for the stupid fence they added this year. ;)

We also have video and audio recordings of everything, which should be up soon!

While we definitely had more planning time this year, hammering out the basics (light/sound/decor) still took up too much time to get REALLY creative with things. That said, for DC19, we're actually looking at getting the ball rolling with a bigger planning team as soon as we're done decompressing.

If you want to leave impressions / ideas for next year, you may do so at the following form link!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewf...c2VyWnVDMnc6MQ

Feel free to discuss the events in this thread, but definitely submit to the form if you want us to remember to take things into consideration.
    | | |

Re: Music Events Wrap-Up and Ideas for Next Year!

What about a DefCon radio station? Either over the air or Internet radio, could be nice to roll around DefCon playing the epic mixes and could allow for more acts 24 hours a day over the 4 days of con.

I could look into some build your own radio kits for hhv, if I pick them up early in bulk could be decently cheap. Could be a fun integration. Or if Joe grand wanted to tie something into the DefCon badges.... Wow the ideas are flowing from this idea.

Could broadcast the talks on a different frequency... Kickin it old school for dc19
    Originally posted by Ellen
    Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Actually we got half-way there this con! Lockheed/Derek at the NOC were cool enough to set up that IceCast server and we were rocking the UStream.TV video feed during the zombie/cyberpunk parties.

I really like your idea of taking it to the next level. What we could look into for next year would be to set up an archive system for the IceCast server that cycles through dj-mixes of defcon's past if there's no one performing live.

Now for FM/AM broadcast, that would be AWESOME if we could do it and still be FCC legal. Maybe - as you are hinting at - have each badge or HHV kit perhaps act as some low-power relay?

Actually... 900MHz Zigbee might work pretty well. Just need to check out the datarates. You could do some fun mesh-networking with Zigbee and a whole lot of badges.

Getting the HHV involved for this sort of thing would be EPIC, by the way.

Things like RF-broadcast gets tricky. We had a few people actually approach us about doing an FM broadcast, but we couldn't officially condone it without proof of proper licensing. Hypothetically, someone could always snag the Internet feed and run a pirate RF broadcast out of site though and we couldn't do anything to prevent it, however ;)

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
      What about a DefCon radio station? Either over the air or Internet radio, could be nice to roll around DefCon playing the epic mixes and could allow for more acts 24 hours a day over the 4 days of con.

I could look into some build your own radio kits for hhv, if I pick them up early in bulk could be decently cheap. Could be a fun integration. Or if Joe grand wanted to tie something into the DefCon badges.... Wow the ideas are flowing from this idea.

Could broadcast the talks on a different frequency... Kickin it old school for dc19
      | | |

Comment

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post

Little kits in some form would be awesome, my local hackspace does this from time to time, maybe with some instructions as an introduction, a way to get people's feet wet who are curious and want to know more about soldering and schematics and how they work?

Comment

Working...
        X