Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ninja Badge Auction for EFF! :D

Hey folks!

@: CotMan, apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong location!

I wanted to donate to the EFF this year at the con, but didn't have a good chance til now. The Ninjas left me with one of their boss badges (and actually sent me a second one to do a video demo, which I'm adding to the mix).

The badges are ubercool, and I'm all about sentimental keepsakes, but I figured this would be too good an opportunity to pass up to be able to donate to one of my favorite organizations.

I have a video about the auction here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY-MsQhg1-A

And the actual posting is here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110570243689

Massive thanks to CNelson (for the hookup and approval!), Dallas, Hackajar, the EFF folks, and Atala@Glitch.FM for helping me with getting this going!!!!!
    | | |

Re: Ninja Badge Auction for EFF! :D

Originally posted by greatscott View Post
    @: CotMan, apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong location!
    We have a rule on the forums about spam. Mods enforce this rule, too. We all have our reasons. I hate spam and think it sucks to let spammer advertise products or services to a "captive audience."

Here is the rule:

5.) Spamming, Power posting, and Advertising
    Originally posted by spamming
    5. Spamming, Power posting, and Advertising:
    Unsolicited Advertising (especially commerical) is not allowed, and posts violating this will be censored, and violators banned without warning. (Exceptions: DefCon events, DefCon related meetings in "Local Meetings & Other Events" or as authorized by moderators.)
    [chop]
    This is enforced against people that write their own books and want to advertise them on the forums, and tee shirts even related to Defcon. We do permit exceptions, which is why we have that clause I altered to bold in the partial quote of this rule.

We've /dev/nulled threads on tee shirt sales, and books and other assorted things, and handed out warning to even long time posters that contribute a great deal.

By choosing to post an ad, even for an auction to a worthy cause without getting some sort of nod from the mods, you put yourself at risk for being warned or banned and having the post moved to /dev/null.

I'm sorry to be, "that guy," that comes out and says, "this is a dangerous thing," but it is. Sure I can insert slippery slope fallacies here and say that letting even a little through will mean a landslide of spam will come next, but we do make exceptions, and there are certain kinds of ads that are "good for the community" (in my opinion ot the opinion of other mods.)

This is something I would have approved for many reasons, but I'm, still going to warn you to get approval before trying to sell goods or services or advertise on the forums in the future.

One of the things I would have also done in this case would have been to verify that this was something the Ninja Networks group thought was a good idea. If they didn't like it, then the advertising would have been removed. (Ads that cause problems are ads we don't need.)

Sorry to be, "that guy," and give you "the lecture."

Best place for this would have been Defcon 18 recovery or the Ninja Network Party Forum. I'll dump this in the Ninja network party Forum with a redirect from community talk expiring in 1 week. By then, people will know its new location.

I've sent an email to some of the Ninja Networks people to ask about this... the final results of this thread will depend on their response.[Update: They are cool with this if "we" are cool with this, and we are cool with this too.]

Good luck with your auction. I hope you are able to raise lots of money for the EFF.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; August 6, 2010, 20:36.

Comment

It has been noted. Will keep in mind for future postings along these lines.
      | | |

Comment

Originally posted by greatscott View Post
        It has been noted. Will keep in mind for future postings along these lines.
        Thanks man :-)

By the way, I did get confirmation from Bark0de that this is something that is cool with them, so advertisement approved... Good luck!

Comment

Hi, I'm barkode from Ninja Networks, and I approve this message. :)

(Scott reached out to us about it - we're cool with it if the forum powers that be are cool with it.)

Hope it goes well, Scott! :)

-bk

Comment

Cheers bk! Thanks for the blessings!

Also, I just made a total fool of myself. I created the eBay username LosGreatScott, which is an improper use of Spanish. My girlfriend is now laughing at me as all the Internet will be seeing this. nrrrggh

Originally posted by barkode View Post

(Scott reached out to us about it - we're cool with it if the forum powers that be are cool with it.)

Hope it goes well, Scott! :)

-bk
            | | |

Comment

Originally posted by barkode View Post

<Snip>

-bk
              Something tells me you are a Ray William Johnson fan too.

Those unsure of the reference, checkout his YouTube channel. Funny ass videos:
              http://www.youtube.com/user/RayWilliamJohnson

//Slight thread drift.
              //I hope a bunch of cash gets raised for the EFF. They have been busy!

Comment

Just an update for everyone, the badges sold for $1025!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Massive thanks to Chris Nelson, Barkode, and the rest of the Ninjas for their generosity and blessings :)
                | | |

Comment

Working...
                X