Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

    The idea for a 24-hour chill-out spot has been logged/noted.
    | | |

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

      i'm going to start a separate thread just called "viewing suite planning" because i utterly love this idea and am thrilled at the fact that others do, too. i think it would have likely developed organically on its own by occasional sponsors (or, as i say, 303 or the B-Sides crew) but i feel that talking about ideas here would allow a lot of voices to suggest much, then organizers can trim the fat, and ultimately get some sponsors to pull it off.

      have a cool notion for a viewing suite? chat about it here.
      Last edited by Deviant Ollam; August 11, 2010, 20:13.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

        Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
        i'm going to start a separate thread...
        Cool. Starting new threads on ideas you like is a good idea. If you want to see that thread copied to the "Defcon 19 Planning" forum (when it is created) try including "Defcon 19:" as the start of the thread title -- it will make it easier for me to find all the threads to copy over to the new forum for DC19 when is is created. If I would have thought about this earlier, I would have mentioned this. Sorry about that.

        If you forget, you can ask me, and I'll rename your thread to include "Defcon 19:" at the beginning or you can ask me to copy a thread over for planning to continue once the forums is created.

        I've prepended "Defcon 19:" to that thread as a reminder to copy it when the DC19 planning forum comes about.

        What other ideas do we have as review for Defcon 18 and how it could have been better?
        Last edited by TheCotMan; August 11, 2010, 21:23.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

          Can we have our own DJs at each pool like at the AP?

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

            FWIW - I just tried to reserve a room (any room) at the Rio for the DEFCON 19 weekend and they are totally sold out.
            'jazz

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

              Originally posted by arahel_jazz View Post
              FWIW - I just tried to reserve a room (any room) at the Rio for the DEFCON 19 weekend and they are totally sold out.
              I doubt they are truly sold out. More likely, rooms are being put into blocks, and those blocks haven't been advertised yet.
              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                Originally posted by astcell View Post
                Can we have our own DJs at each pool like at the AP?
                May be possible at one of the pools.
                Rumor is one of the five swimming pools at the Rio will be assigned for Defcon use.
                If so, it may have altered operating hours and rules of operation.
                “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                  Everyone seems to be really excited about DCTV at the Rio. I can’t blame them it does sound like a really nice addition. I do have one concern about DVTV, I never had the ability to attend a Def con when it was at the AP. First hand I have never seen DCTV. Maybe I am completely wrong about this, but it seems like DVTV would make it a lot easier for someone who is shy, or new to just hide in hotel room all weekend long and not experience the con to its fullest. Is this something we should be concerned about?
                  The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
                  Henry Ford

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                    Originally posted by VerminX View Post
                    Everyone seems to be really excited about DCTV at the Rio. I can’t blame them it does sound like a really nice addition. I do have one concern about DVTV, I never had the ability to attend a Def con when it was at the AP. First hand I have never seen DCTV. Maybe I am completely wrong about this, but it seems like DVTV would make it a lot easier for someone who is shy, or new to just hide in hotel room all weekend long and not experience the con to its fullest. Is this something we should be concerned about?
                    People are responsible for their own actions and decisions. If people want to sit in their room during all of the talks, then that makes the talks less crowded for those that want to attend the talks. The most important advantages to me in actually being at certain talks is the opportunity to ask questions and meet people. The biggest value in watching specific talks from the room (at least at the AP) was not having to wait in long lines to talks and being forced to clear speaking rooms after every talk. This also means the opportunity to quickly change from one talk to another just by changing the channel. Also, at the AP, we had 2 TVs in our rooms. (One in the main room, and one in the bedroom) allowing people in our room to tune to different presentations and go to different rooms.

                    There are advantages and disadvantages to each choice. If people want to enjoy Defcon from their room, they can do that. If they want to see the events in person, then that is good too. People that are new to Defcon can attend the Defcon 101 (which appears to be coming back next year) and can learn about the costs of being shy or not socializing. Beyond offering information and services, I don't see what else should be done.

                    You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                      One of the greatest values IMO was the ability to have the speakers in the breakout rooms after the main talks. I actually learned more with the interactive discussions there than in the main talks.

                      Lets see if we can keep the breakout room concept going at the Rio.
                      'jazz

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                        Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                        People are responsible for their own actions and decisions. If people want to sit in their room during all of the talks, then that makes the talks less crowded for those that want to attend the talks. The most important advantages to me in actually being at certain talks is the opportunity to ask questions and meet people. The biggest value in watching specific talks from the room (at least at the AP) was not having to wait in long lines to talks and being forced to clear speaking rooms after every talk. This also means the opportunity to quickly change from one talk to another just by changing the channel. Also, at the AP, we had 2 TVs in our rooms. (One in the main room, and one in the bedroom) allowing people in our room to tune to different presentations and go to different rooms.

                        There are advantages and disadvantages to each choice. If people want to enjoy Defcon from their room, they can do that. If they want to see the events in person, then that is good too. People that are new to Defcon can attend the Defcon 101 (which appears to be coming back next year) and can learn about the costs of being shy or not socializing. Beyond offering information and services, I don't see what else should be done.

                        You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.
                        I understand that point and I would agree, everyone says “the con is what YOU make it”, and everyone know that it’s true. I just recall my first year how lost and confused I felt for the first 24 hours. If I had the ability to hide in a room and watch the talks, more than likely I would have. Personal I am really excited about DCTV and love the idea of chill out areas you can watch it on. It was just something I wanted to point out.
                        The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
                        Henry Ford

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                          Breakout rooms: By far the best part of Defcon. #1 item to keep for DC19

                          DCTV: Let's have the badge next year include a smart card capability to provide the descrambling keys for DCTV. If you hack it, great, you get DCTV for free. If not, you can pay $5 or whatever for DCTV. Just like the real world of satellite TV hacking.

                          There are so many ways to integrate the badge with DCTV. The mind reels.
                          "Men entrusted with power, even those aware of its dangers, tend, particularly when pressured, to slight liberty." - , The Church Committee, April 26 (legislative day, April 14), 1976

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                            Originally posted by liberator View Post
                            Breakout rooms: By far the best part of Defcon. #1 item to keep for DC19

                            DCTV: Let's have the badge next year include a smart card capability to provide the descrambling keys for DCTV. If you hack it, great, you get DCTV for free. If not, you can pay $5 or whatever for DCTV. Just like the real world of satellite TV hacking.

                            There are so many ways to integrate the badge with DCTV. The mind reels.
                            I couldn't disagree with this idea more. DCTV needs to be free to all attendees. It's not a contest. it's the talks. Putting them on TV in the rooms reduces crowding, reduces hallway congestion and makes things better for EVERYONE. Not that there is any chance of your idea happening, but seriously...it's just a bad suggestion all the way around.
                            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but not every one gets a electronic badge, right? So those who have a cardboard (what ever the standard badge is) badge wont be able to get DCTV. Or at least maybe not for free. Or at least maybe not for free using the badge. ;) But as far as DCTV I think its a great idea for the talks. But I think movies would be a waste. Your at defcon for only a few days and theres so much to do, why would you want to waste time watching a movie?

                              Also I was thinking a neat addition for the badge would be to replace the LCD with an OLED. This way it could be in color, have better FX etc... Ya it would be more expensive then the LCD but if you keep it the same size it can't be much of a price difference.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Defcon 18: What to save, what to toss? Make Defcon 19 better!

                                Originally posted by okiwan View Post
                                Correct me if I'm wrong, but not every one gets a electronic badge, right? So those who have a cardboard (what ever the standard badge is) badge wont be able to get DCTV. Or at least maybe not for free. Or at least maybe not for free using the badge. ;) But as far as DCTV I think its a great idea for the talks. But I think movies would be a waste. Your at defcon for only a few days and theres so much to do, why would you want to waste time watching a movie?

                                Also I was thinking a neat addition for the badge would be to replace the LCD with an OLED. This way it could be in color, have better FX etc... Ya it would be more expensive then the LCD but if you keep it the same size it can't be much of a price difference.
                                You're wrong. Everyone gets an electronic badge, at least until they sell out. The printed badges tend to be the 'runner-up prize' for not getting in line early enough. Those who get the electronic badges do not pay extra for those badges.

                                In the past, movies have been a part of DCTV. If I recall correctly, there were extra channels beyond those needed strictly for talks, and the movies were generally well received. Besides, it was a good social activity for those people who are not so inclined to go to the various parties.
                                Thorn
                                "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X