theSummit - Thank you from Vegas 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theSummit - Thank you from Vegas 2.0

On behalf of all those involved with Vegas 2.0 we want to express our appreciation to everyone who showed up for theSummit this year at Def Con 18. Every year theSummit grows more successful. This year being no exception, theSummit raised record figures all donated towards the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Our 6th year as a fundraiser for the EFF we raised a grand total of $13,548!!!

Summit Entry = $11,820
    Summit Auction = $1,112
    Summit Tip Jars = $198
    After-After Party Tips = $418

Fortunately these figures do NOT include the $5000 raised by the EFF table during the summit, as announced during closing ceremonies. Rumor has it one man remaining anonymous donated a solid $1,000!! You know who you are! I hope your reading this and THANK YOU from everyone!

The success of theSummit could not happen with out the support of so many great people! Our Auction and its satire is always a big hit! So thank you L0st, Joe Grand, Deviant Olla and everyone else from TOOOL, Absec Consulting, and DJ Jackalope for your donations towards our auction and continued support through all the years! And of course thank you Short Stop for making this night unforgettable for many!

Thank you to all our entertainers who truly made it a party: Dual Core (with Guest appearance by drraid), your free flow for cash always bring the boys to the yard; the MiniBosses for sacrificing there van just to get there and still rawked the party with a vengeance, DJ Jackalope for spinning the beats and being a very hot model for our auction, and VJ Q Alba for his support and visual craft. None of this, which could have happened with out the technical support and equipment supplied by Vyrus of DC949 and Salem.

But the night still would not have been complete with out the many faces behind Vegas 2.0: Nikita (you goddess of speakers you!) and the Beautiful Charel, thank you and the Def Con staff for your assistance! Dallas, you are our man behind the curtain! We love you for dealing with our last minute shenanigans! Thank you Astcell, for being our official photographer! Major appreciation goes out to Manuel and the other Riviera bartenders for the strong drinks that night, these guys beg to bartend for us each year! And of course everyone who helps us manage theSummit throughout the night, the people who run for 12 hours straight, too busy to enjoy a drink or watch the entertainment just so everyone else can…. DC405, Generic Hero and the 503, 0hm, Ripshy, Sir Cuddles, Charley, Ian, Grue (and your hot sister), our most heart felt Thank you!

TheSummit was pleased to introduce the first annual After-After party, this year. No cover, no badge, no who’s-who, everyone’s invited. Fueled by donations and tips, this party rawked the pool area from 12-8 both Friday AND Saturday nights!! Int80 from Dual Core and Lil Jinni (-aka- Beer Betty) served up the drinks till dawn, Aaron from the MiniBosses played DJ for us Friday night and Twinkdogg awed us with his beats on Saturday! Again, thank you Salem for supplying us with the sound system!

And last but not least we want to thank the EFF. Aaron, Kurt, Marcia and the rest of you guys at the EFF are truly the unsung hero’s behind every one of us. It is our sincerest pleasure to be able to organize this event in your honor. We look forward to continuing this event and support for your efforts in today’s digital age.

Until next year,

Vegas 2.0
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Re: theSummit - Thank you from Vegas 2.0

*Also giving out major props to T Prophet for the last minute equipment rounding up*

You are Awesomesauce!
    ======================================
    DJ Jackalope
    dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
    ======================================

Comment

Thanks to you and your crew for organizing the events and helping make so much money for the EFF!
      Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Can't say enough about how greatly Vegas 2.0 rocked this year. Hackajar for randomly being a beacon of fun at practically every turn in my con this year. int80 & Lil Jinni for excellent pouring. And yes.. Aaron has mad DJ skills. Cuddles, grats on your knighthood. Ripshy for entry greets and badge love. Generic Superhero for keeping me up all night long. Blak for circling the doors with me. ..and everyone else that randomly hung out throughout that timeframe. This year raised the bar, all around.

boo, Kevin Mitnick, boo.
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

we wanted to thank Hackajar and Jinni for letting TOOOL descend on the room and start randomly cuffing people, giving out free drink tickets to those who demonstrated escape skills.

it's always amazing to see how many people turn up every year and donate their time and their funds.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

It was a pleasure getting to know everyone more and more each year. Thank you Vegas 2.0 for all the services you guys provide and for all the fun associated. See some of you at shmoo!
            Originally posted by Ellen
            Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Thanks Hackajar and the rest of Vegas 2.0 for throwing it down this year. wtfg. I had a blast... and the after party was worth it. I still can't believe we raised all that $$$$$$. w00t.

boo, mitnick, booooooooo! Trying to get into a charity fundraiser for free, and then trying to get your female in with you for free. not very well played at all.

A personal and very special thanks to int80 who poured me a very large glass full of rum.... after the doors were locked and everyone sent home (I spent the night/morning in a semi sober state: picking up drunks, setting down drunks, getting drunks to their rooms, breaking up cat fights, yadda yadda... )... and that glass full of rum did the trick.... amen.

Comment

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
                It was a pleasure getting to know everyone more and more each year. Thank you Vegas 2.0 for all the services you guys provide and for all the fun associated. See some of you at shmoo!
                Don't forget... in proper form your handle is Sir Cuddles-a-lot. Enjoy your knighthood ;)

Comment

Originally posted by blakdayz View Post
                  boo, mitnick, booooooooo! Trying to get into a charity fundraiser for free, and then trying to get your female in with you for free. not very well played at all....
                  Did he actually pay to get himself or his guest into the fund raiser? Depending on how it went down, making an attempt to gain access to a party (free or otherwise) could be considered an attempt at hacking or social engineering. Obviously, certain kinds of failures in execution of an attack can cause people to feel unhappy as potential victims, but is there any merit for trying or only for trying and succeeding?

I wasn't there, so I make no judgment on the results, only question the reasons for the boo-ing. (I don't want to scare anyone into not responding. There is no threat behind this... I genuinely want to know how this became a "booo" ... Maybe there was fallout or something happened after a request was declined or how the request was made?) Thanks for clarifying this. :-)

[Maybe it was because of it being a charity that even trying is a bad idea? Looking for reasons. Thanks!]
                  Last edited by TheCotMan; August 16, 2010, 14:32.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                    Did he actually pay to get himself or his guest into the fund raiser? Depending on how it went down, making an attempt to gain access to a party (free or otherwise) could be considered an attempt at hacking or social engineering. Obviously, certain kinds of failures in execution of an attack can cause people to feel unhappy as potential victims, but is there any merit for trying or only for trying and succeeding?

I wasn't there, so I make no judgment on the results, only question the reasons for the boo-ing. (I don't want to scare anyone into not responding. There is no threat behind this... I genuinely want to know how this became a "booo" ... Maybe there was fallout or something happened after a request was declined or how the request was made?) Thanks for clarifying this. :-)
                    Trying to social engineer your way into a charity event is like stomping bunnies infront of your grandmother while simultaneously pissing on your grandfathers grave.

He gets no points for trying. We all know him, and some of us have attempted, but failed to -9 his ass from the earth. By default he gets a 'booo'. Trying to social engineer your way into the EFF summit charity event - gets you a double boo. Tweeting that you social engineered your way into the event, while security was watching you in the public room outside the event talk to folks (never getting in) will get you a tripple boo.

Trying to get your girl in because she is f'ing you [Kevin] .. that will get you banned for life from entry (or close to it, depending on Vegas 2.0's mood... i don't make the rules)

So to sum it up... social engineering anyone at DefCon to get in free to a charity event is not leet... no points given.

Comment

Trying to social engineer your way into a charity event is like stomping bunnies infront of your grandmother while simultaneously pissing on your grandfathers grave.

He gets no points for trying. We all know him, and some of us have attempted, but failed to -9 his ass from the earth. By default he gets a 'booo'. Trying to social engineer your way into the EFF summit charity event - gets you a double boo. Tweeting that you social engineered your way into the event, while security was watching you in the public room outside the event talk to folks (never getting in) will get you a tripple boo.

Trying to get your girl in because she is f'ing you [Kevin] .. that will get you banned for life from entry (or close to it, depending on Vegas 2.0's mood... i don't make the rules)

So to sum it up... social engineering anyone at DefCon to get in free to a charity event is not leet... no points given.
                      Thanks for the explanation; I didn't know about the other items or tweets.

Comment

Don't forget... in proper form your handle is Sir Cuddles-a-lot. Enjoy your knighthood ;)
                        We should hold a ceremony! What kind of knight docent have a knighting ceremony.

I should start looking for a suit of armor, and make a seal.
                        Originally posted by Ellen
                        Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

Comment

Had a blast!! Bigups Vegas 2.0!!! Can't wait till next year!
                          Last edited by twinkdogg; August 16, 2010, 18:45.
                          Wednesdays: Warrior Breaks on Radio 9PM-11PM CST

Comment

I actually had missed the part about the twitter prowess... had to go look this up to believe it. It's actually quite a humorous interaction.

Originally posted by http://twitter.com/kevinmitnick
                            I just social engineered my EFF party tonight... way toooo easy :-) Friday, July 30, 2010 2:13:10 AM via web

@seanwayne stop bullshitting .. I was there 2 hours. Too bad Friday, July 30, 2010 12:21:20 PM via Echofon in reply to seanwayne
                            Originally posted by http://twitter.com/seanwayne
                            @kevinmitnick you got kicked out it less that two minutes, that's like bragging about stealing pink ribbons #defcon #mitnickisadouche 10:13 AM Jul 30th via Twitterrific

"I totally stole that old lady's panty-liners" #defcon #mitnickisadouche #putkevinback 10:20 AM Jul 30th via Twitterrific

@kevinmitnick kinda like your name is "bill"? And you had that deer in the headlights look when I asked your name? #defcon 4:29 PM Jul 30th via Twitterrific in reply to kevinmitnick

@kevinmitnick you bumrushed the door when it was stacked. Not exactly elegant for a guy who had a movie made about him. #defcon 4:30 PM Jul 30th via Twitterrific in reply to kevinmitnick
                            Originally posted by http://twitter.com/millerbenm
                            @KevinMitnick I assumed ur@ a DefCon EFF party?Zuck was about the BS review- http://bit.ly/9tnOVA -Did the ease of Soc-Eng disappoint/scare? 11:16 PM Jul 30th via web
                            with some funny sidethreads like:
                            Originally posted by http://twitter.com/seanwayne
                            # RT @Knulped: It's a charity coin drop, @kevinmitnick should social his way in. #defcon #kevinmitnicksadouche 3:31 PM Aug 1st via TweetDeck

# RT @Knulped: Fuck @kevinmitnick #dc405 socialed our way into a law enforcement convention party. #defcon 10:18 PM Jul 31st via TweetDeck

"But for a $40 donation, they give you a raffle ticket to win $40 and three wishes.. any of which can be used to get $40."
                            "I don't care."
                            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Mitnick did simply just slide through the door when things got busy. I don't know if this can be considered social engineering. Especially coming from someone who's supposedly written books about this topic. It's not really social engineering your way in if you get caught and publicly thrown out. This was more like a high schooler in a bar that couldn't get a fake ID like the rest of his friends - then social engineering. And he might have gotten away with this too, if it weren't for that meddling hooker! The one that looked like a crack head out of place, similar to herpes on a clown, begging to be let in because "Kevin's in there...... well, he said he'd get me in. I don't understand."

Now, I don't know the man, cant judge him. However I can say that in the years I've attended Def Con, all have been plagued by some random scene-whore who crashes the party looking for Mitnick. Last year - as you may remember, was fail-hooker Faye and all her antic's. For this reason, the Mitnick-hooker-scene-whore fan club, I'd rather that man stay as far from me as possible.

With that said and hopefully done.... I extend a personal Thank you to everyone (else)!!! It really is a pleasure throwing this party for the EFF and all of you! There were too many to thank, as always, and If we forgot you - my deepest apologizes. Let me know it so I wont forget it next year!

And, I'm thinking this After-After party needs to become an annual thing!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X