Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you run a contest/event for Defcon 18 that had a forum and will return?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you run a contest/event for Defcon 18 that had a forum and will return?

Hello people that lead or organized contests, and events at Defcon 19. Are you planning to bring back your contest/event for Defcon 19? If so, please reply here with which event or contest will return so that I can start making forums for discussions about them.

Please provide URL for online resources related to your contest or event and a 1 sentence description of your contest/event for the forum associated with it. Example URL I'll take: Web Page, WIKI, FAQ, Facebook, Mailing List, Email Address as "mailto:" URL, etc. If your provide no such description, I might invent a one-liner that describes your contest or event.

Thanks!

[On Aug 13, 2010 I received /msg from the leader/organizer of DC101 that it will return for Defcon 19]
    [On Aug 14, 2010 DaKahuna on dc-stuff mailing list said wireless village may return and Ham licensing may return: verify with [con|render|roamer|thorn] and JonM respectively]
    Last edited by TheCotMan; August 14, 2010, 21:14.

Re: Did you run a contest/event for Defcon 18 that had a forum and will return?

Beer Cooling Contraption Contest will return, for sure. we got even more legit this year, with someone making t-shirts and whatnot!

Gringo Warrior will indeed return... i'm glad we sorted out the Black Badge issue this year and that Dosman is getting his deserved prize.

Loads of other smaller Lockpick contests will also happen, they'll likely be under the generic "lockpicking" event heading

DEFCON Shoot... still unofficial, but surely still happening. lots of planning to do there.

there was talk that some people want to bring back Titanium Chef, but that's likely not going to involve me at all so i'll let them speak up separately.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

yup,

ScavHunt

Yes we will return

no we don't have a website just yet (yes we are working on it)

No, Officer, I DON'T know how that got in there!
      If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

DT's Tamper Evident contest will be returning -- no URL as of yet.

-kive

Comment

Thanks for the notices... I'm looking to make forums for returning contests by middle of September.

Comment

Wall of Sheep will be there, along with their peekaboo booth.

Capture the Packet should also be returning.
            Additional website may follow.

Need to confirm details with Riverside.
            “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Open Capture the Flag will be returning, the website for this year is still up in the air but more information will be provided in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak View Post
                yup,

ScavHunt

Yes we will return

no we don't have a website just yet (yes we are working on it)

No, Officer, I DON'T know how that got in there!
                Way to be on it, Siv! Woot!
                "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Crack Me If You Can would love to return next year.
                  Contest URL: http://contest.korelogic.com
                  Twitter: http://twitter.com/crackmeifyoucan
                  Description: 54000 password hashes, 48 hours, GO!

-Minga

Comment

theSummit EFF Fundraiser

www.vegassummit.org
                    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

As of now I expect that the Goon Band will be back next year. I also intend to start the slogan contest back up.
                      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        As of now I expect that the Goon Band will be back next year.
                        That's really good to hear, I was worried you guys weren't going to do it again, but you guys did do an awesome job... Maybe next year I'll get to hear Sandman?

And so as to not hijack the thread. After the turnout and response this year, yes, 101 will be back.
                        And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

The Artwork Contest will also be returning, and will probably run earlier than in previous years. No site, but I will be posting it in the forums and probably on defcon.org.

On a related but slightly off topic note, I would love it if every contest had a high resolution logo for next year, so if your contest doesn't have one, get one of your artist friends to hook you up with some sweet artwork. I will get with Pyr0 to add specs to the contest reg details.

Oh and if you are thinking that I am your artist friend, that may be true, but get one of your other artist friends to do it
                          Last edited by neil; August 16, 2010, 17:23. Reason: extra word

Comment

Geo Challenge will be returning for DC19.

With the new off strip location for con, I dont know how Im going to structure the geocaching portions of the challenge. Rio does offer a free shuttle but it only runs until 1am I think.

Will have to look into this further..

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post

On a related but slightly off topic note, I would love it if every contest had a high resolution logo for next year.....

Oh and if you are thinking that I am your artist friend, that may be true, but get one of your other artist friends to do it
                              If you find yourself being desperate for a logo let me know, I would be willing to help.
                              The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
                              Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X