Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all people who competed...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Calling all people who competed...

    I have found a source for a lot of neat tags that I have not seen before. I still have the TE bug and want to document and try to bypass other locks. However you must buy them in bulk (ie $75 for 100 items). Is there anyone interested in joining some funds together to get as many as these that we can?

    http://www.americancasting.com/

    Take a look under the "All Types of Seals & Locks" heading and browse around. There is some really neat stuff that could be fun to try and bypass.

    I would like to continue to do this all year round, however If I need to buy in bulk that is going to give me a ton of extra tags, as well as limit me to 1 tag per month with my existing budget.

    I want to start a blog/wiki where I attempt a bypass a week and discuss pros and cons of the tag that I have attempted with photos/videos and hopefully get others to submit data as well.

    if anyone has any ideas on how to go about approaching companies and gaining sponsors, I'm open to all suggestions. I want to take what DT started and take it to another level.


    DT,Kive: I don't want to steal your thunder, but I'd like to see this contest take off at other cons.
    Last edited by WiK; August 27, 2010, 20:46.
    Vell, WiK's just zis guy

  • #2
    Re: Calling all people who competed...

    Originally posted by WiK View Post

    if anyone has any ideas on how to go about approaching companies and gaining sponsors, I'm open to all suggestions. I want to take what DT started and take it to another level.

    DT,Kive: I don't want to steal your thunder, but I'd like to see this contest take off at other cons.

    I'd love to see it grow! I've got extra stuff, and had planned to try and take the contest to other conventions and let people play. Maybe we can coordinate some of it?

    Also the (slow) planning of the tamper evident wiki comes along, and I would like to ask you and Kive to be moderators, admins, helpers, whatever you want to call it. Help to form the core of a central place to explore TE.
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Calling all people who competed...

      Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
      I'd love to see it grow! I've got extra stuff, and had planned to try and take the contest to other conventions and let people play. Maybe we can coordinate some of it?

      Also the (slow) planning of the tamper evident wiki comes along, and I would like to ask you and Kive to be moderators, admins, helpers, whatever you want to call it. Help to form the core of a central place to explore TE.
      Any hopes of getting somethign together for Shmoo this year? I'd be willing to help build boxes, coordinate space, or what ever else would be required.
      Originally posted by Ellen
      Do I wish we could all be like hexjunkie? Heck yes I do. :) That would rock.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Calling all people who competed...

        Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
        Any hopes of getting somethign together for Shmoo this year? I'd be willing to help build boxes, coordinate space, or what ever else would be required.
        I'm willing to help out with boxes, judging, demoing at a booth for onlookers, whatever it may take to bring this to shmoo, as long as it does not disqualify me from compete at defcon :)

        I'll be sending a pm shortly with what I had in mind and ideas for software to Kive and see if we can get on the same page with our ideas, then I can take the time to get some stuff setup for testing to see how well it would work as a mass repository.

        I guess a realistic goal would be to try and get some kind of a functional site up for shmoo.
        Vell, WiK's just zis guy

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Calling all people who competed...

          Originally posted by WiK View Post
          I'm willing to help out with boxes, judging, demoing at a booth for onlookers, whatever it may take to bring this to shmoo, as long as it does not disqualify me from compete at defcon :)

          I'll be sending a pm shortly with what I had in mind and ideas for software to Kive and see if we can get on the same page with our ideas, then I can take the time to get some stuff setup for testing to see how well it would work as a mass repository.

          I guess a realistic goal would be to try and get some kind of a functional site up for shmoo.
          I've got the server, just like we talked about, picking software.

          Shmoo sounds good, I'll plan on that. I'll see if they can reserve us a spot! I'd love the help building boxes on site, judging, etc. I'll throw some new stuff into the mix, but if you have some new goodies let's add them as well.

          I've registered tamperevidentwiki.com and will be using that domain for our adventures. I have all kinds of evil ideas, but one step at a time, let's get the new site off the ground and accepting people and defeats.

          To that end, start thinking of what template data we want to record for each item.

          Nikita is in the process of compiling all the written documentation. Once complete we will use that to populate the initial site data.
          PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Calling all people who competed...

            Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
            I've got the server, just like we talked about, picking software.

            Shmoo sounds good, I'll plan on that. I'll see if they can reserve us a spot! I'd love the help building boxes on site, judging, etc. I'll throw some new stuff into the mix, but if you have some new goodies let's add them as well.

            I've registered tamperevidentwiki.com and will be using that domain for our adventures. I have all kinds of evil ideas, but one step at a time, let's get the new site off the ground and accepting people and defeats.

            To that end, start thinking of what template data we want to record for each item.

            Nikita is in the process of compiling all the written documentation. Once complete we will use that to populate the initial site data.
            Check it. I have a good idea for the software as well as the template. Ill post suggestions within a day or two for peer review.

            I'm within 3.5 hours from dc, so helping with boxes on site should not be a problem. I was planning on arriving around 4pm the night before. My schedule is still up in the air and flexible that day so i can arrive earlier as needed. I haven't bought anything new yet, but there is some really interesting stuff in the previously list URL.

            @hexjunkie: your in dc currently are you not? I'm not apposed to meeting up for a day ahead of time to put boxes together. So it's not a rush the night before.

            Edit: we should use mediawiki for the software. Let's face it, it's good enough for wikipedia. As for the template I was thinking something like the following.

            1. Tag information
            A. Description, where found, standard usages in the field
            B. A section that lists each defeat for the same tag with a summary of the following
            Time taken, cost involved, prep time needed
            ( i don't think we should limit the articles to the best/fastest bypasses )
            2. Each bypass page for a tag should have the following information
            A. Tools needed
            B. Prep time needed
            C. Advanced knowledge needed
            D. Each step of the bypass with photos
            E. Effectiveness of the bypass based off of the scale used via defcon contest
            F. Summary and or thoughts of how to improve the tag

            Perhaps I'm not thinking big enough yet...once we get the software installed and a demo layout template perhaps better ideas will come.
            Last edited by WiK; August 31, 2010, 18:18.
            Vell, WiK's just zis guy

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Calling all people who competed...

              Hey guys,

              Just a quick update from the MF Pros:

              We're running tamper contests at both Toorcon 12 (sandiego.toorcon.org) and Layer One 2011 (layerone.info). I honestly didn't think about whether or not this was acceptable; I half assumed DT would only have time to do it at Defcon : ) I figure there is a limited number of us and we don't all attend the same conferences so it shouldn't be a collision in the future. You're all welcome to come compete at both of the above conferences, though! Would be great to see you guys before Defcon 2011.

              JK and I are working on an electronic submission system for contests. One of the main problems we had at Defcon was that (a) writing sucks and most people don't want to do it, (b) knowing which seals were worth points was tricky. For example, are all the envelopes the same, or do i need different forms for each one? We're working on a system that will let you go through each layer of the box, submitting defeats and challenge questions at each point. It will be good in the sense that at every layer teams know what seals are worth points and what challenges they need to submit. On top of that with an e-system you can have "hidden" points and easter eggs, with a "secret" text field that lets them submit random strings that might have some bearing on the contest. Of course with the electronic system comes pitfalls of *gasp* computer security, but that comes with the territory. We're happy to share the system with everyone once it is fleshed out, pen tested, and so on. A question to the other teams? What features would you want out of an e-submission/score tracking system?

              If there is anything you need help with in terms of system/wiki/etc setup let me know...I am pretty well versed in the art of mediawiki and ridiculous parser function/template coding.

              Amid all this chaos we're amassing a sizable seal library and practicing for next year : )

              Take it easy,
              dg

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Calling all people who competed...

                I really liked the fact that you didn't know what was worth points and what wasn't. It made you try hard on everything. I think it should stay as " real world " as possible. I do like the idea of possible booby traps.
                Vell, WiK's just zis guy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Calling all people who competed...

                  I liked the 'real world' applicability of the contest, and to that end, I think it should generally be clearer what is critical for a successful defeat, as I think (correct me on this?) it would be in reality. But in the real world, one might very well find booby traps; one would most definitely hope so if one is accessing 'launch codes!'

                  I think combining clearer objectives, potential pitfalls (that's right, you have to stand on the alligator's head, not mouth), and bonus points in the overall scheme is ideal. Would but that I could follow y'all to the other conventions, but alas! with money tight, I must reserve my meager talents for DC.
                  The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Calling all people who competed...

                    Originally posted by snideology View Post
                    I liked the 'real world' applicability of the contest, and to that end, I think it should generally be clearer what is critical for a successful defeat, as I think (correct me on this?) it would be in reality. But in the real world, one might very well find booby traps; one would most definitely hope so if one is accessing 'launch codes!'

                    I think combining clearer objectives, potential pitfalls (that's right, you have to stand on the alligator's head, not mouth), and bonus points in the overall scheme is ideal. Would but that I could follow y'all to the other conventions, but alas! with money tight, I must reserve my meager talents for DC.
                    We need these companies to pitch in and sponsor "TE tag of the month club"
                    Vell, WiK's just zis guy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Calling all people who competed...

                      Originally posted by snideology View Post
                      ... But in the real world, one might very well find booby traps; one would most definitely hope so if one is accessing 'launch codes!' ...
                      Don't bet on that. There are some site devoted to the older 1960's and 1970's Atlas and Titan silos, including some actual silos set up as museums. The cabinets containing the launch codes were locked with your basic Master padlock.

                      I will grant you that you would have to get past people who were armed, and the silo entrances did have man-traps and the like, but if you had made it to the cabinet, all you'd need was a beer can to get the codes. Let's just hope that modern locks are used on the containers for present day launch codes.
                      Thorn
                      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Calling all people who competed...

                        Originally posted by WiK View Post
                        I really liked the fact that you didn't know what was worth points and what wasn't. It made you try hard on everything. I think it should stay as " real world " as possible. I do like the idea of possible booby traps.
                        I totally agree, but I don't think it was unclear what was worth points. We all knew everything was worth points, but it was a question of not wanting to submit redundant forms in the interest of time. Considering that you lose points for not attempting/documenting things I don't like the idea of losing points just because you didn't think you had to submit multiple forms for identical seal(s).

                        In any event, I will think on this. I'd love to hear from kive & DT on this, though!

                        dg

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Calling all people who competed...

                          Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                          The cabinets containing the launch codes were locked with your basic Master padlock.
                          This is why we shouldn't be teaching lock picking - so the Soviets or their modern counterparts do not learn what a padlock shim is. Right? Right??? (echos mournfully)

                          Say...could someone give a definition of what was meant by 'stealthy ninja?' No one on our team was quite sure what this meant, although I suspect our best guesses were not far from the mark.
                          The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Calling all people who competed...

                            I'm down with the MF pros if they want to run a contest. I'm glad I started something and sparked everyone's interest and imagination.

                            I'm planning to run it at Shmoocon, I just have to contact them and get permission. :-)

                            I like the electronic submission idea, and of course, we will refine it for next year. There will be more clarity, but also more other tricks for those who garner enough points to move on to round two where the more expensive tags and seals lay.

                            Kive, interested in doing round two at Shmoo?
                            PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Calling all people who competed...

                              WiK, I am interesting in splitting the costs with you, I will pm/text you in a bit about it.

                              Just like you, I have caught the bug and started researching this stuff on my own. I am currently looking into devices which are in common use. Most of them are that cursed plastic padlock seal. I have already acquired a few to test on. I am taking a research approach of utilizing only stuff that can defeat the seals in the wild (sorry, no acid solutions for me - I would most likely just destroy my house like that).

                              While I have no idea if I will even manage to get a ticket to shmoocon (as I have never been), I am willing to help out if you guys need anything, either with the website or with running it at shmoo or anything else.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X