Battle Of The Bands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle Of The Bands?

Given that the Goons have enough musically talented people to form a band, it's a safe bet that the other 15,000+ attendees could come up with something too. It's not a very complex thing to pull off either. Find a panel of willing judges (I should hope that bias wouldn't be a problem at a convention of hackers). Find some stage space, a time slot, and open it for registration.

(I'm aware of other issues such as somebody to run sound, as I happen to be able to do exactly that).

I have a few friends who are interested in starting a band where I'm at, the biggest problem will be find a group of folks willing to go to participate in a battle of bands at Defcon, but all that aside, if feasible, what does the community think?
    Note on the screen name: The CH is pronounced as a K, and there's a bit of an amusing story behind it involving two other fellows known as El Conquistador and Hank the Hobo...... And a blue bus.... With people in it.

Re: Battle Of The Bands?

I doubt that the rest of the band I am in would want to come to Defcon, so a battle of the bands might be a bit tricky (at least for us). However, an open jam might be a fun time. Come with a list of songs that you know and form a band on the fly with others who know the same song.

Just an idea...
    Coffee is a lost art, best not left to Starbucks.
    I brew the beer I drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeon View Post
      I doubt that the rest of the band I am in would want to come to Defcon, so a battle of the bands might be a bit tricky (at least for us). However, an open jam might be a fun time. Come with a list of songs that you know and form a band on the fly with others who know the same song.

Just an idea...

In a lot of ways that's what the Goon Band does. The two guitarists (me and GM1) live in Maryland. Everyone else (Russ, y3ti, Doc) lives in Colorado. We only get to practice the songs together once, the night before the actual show. It is NOT an ideal way to do things. It's very difficult to get timing down when you don't all play together regularly.
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

It could be done that way, it'd be easier than dragging other members of one's band who may not be interested in Defcon. For timing you could use a previously agreed upon/understood tempo (i.e. 128 bpm). A good drummer usually solves those problems, if no drummer's available then it tends to fall to the bass from my own personal experience. (And I loathe keeping time without a drummer, as I've been said bassist before).

Or it could be done as just one massive jam session, but then you'd run into issues with harmonizing. (It'd still be fun though).
        Last edited by The_Schiz; October 4, 2010, 05:26. Reason: Improving the grammar.
        Note on the screen name: The CH is pronounced as a K, and there's a bit of an amusing story behind it involving two other fellows known as El Conquistador and Hank the Hobo...... And a blue bus.... With people in it.

Comment

Working...
        X