Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Defcon 19] Who is designing the DEFCON 19 badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is designing the DEFCON 19 badge?

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    How about doing 2 contests.
    1. Non electronic badge. Puzzle contest similar to this year.

2. Non electronic badge but with kits in the HHV to mod the regular badge to electronic and go to town. I know it's not as "simple" as that...but I think with some planning it could be done and would satisfy both camps. Am I high?
    this is hands-down the best plan. my reasoning for believing thusly is based on the fact that it allows both camps of people to have something fun to dwell on, but most of all because it provides the best chance for DEFCON (whose growth seemingly has no end in sight) to issue the "official" human badge to all attendees. Yes, this year we ran out again (later than usual, however) but that was due to a degree of growth that was simply unprecedented and unbelievable.

NEXT year, however, if the badges are again non-electronic and cost less than $5 to produce (which i do think is the right call) there is virtually no excuse for DEFCON to not produce a FUCK TON of them. like, thirty thousand. it's lunacy, but it will guarantee that no one is without the same badge... even if the con gets shut down by fire marshals.

everyone gets a "real" and "cool" badge is my main mantra with respect to badge planning. if the badge is part of a contest, awesome. if it's a LosT contest, even better. if the badge is hackable or can allow the addition of electronics in some way, that's cool... but that's a distant second to my other desires.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by 3d0g View Post
      Ellen, if you acutally read my post, numbers are exactly what I'm NOT arguing. Any contest, ANY CONTEST, will have a tiny % of total DC populatiobn participating. My point is slamming hardware badges because of lack of actual entries in the contest is silly. There were a LOT of people playing with the badge last year, myself included. Not all felt the need to submit for the contest, myself included.

My OPINION of DC19 is hardware and the HHV got the short stick. My HOPE is, that will change in the future, regardless of badge.

We cool?
      Ahh.. well in that case we are totally cool. I don't think anyone here was slamming the electronic badges. (Unless I missed a post somewhere?) The call to switch to non-electronic badges was made by DT. He explained his reasons I believe at both opening and closing.

I am showing my support for the Lost contest, but that doesn't mean I don't love the electronic badges or Joe's contest. Joe is awesome and I know he is flattered by the support he gets and the people who are STILL bringing him hacked badges from previous years. :)

To back up Cot a little.. I see Lost the other 358 days of the year, and he really does work himself into the ground with Mystery Challenge (and the badges this year.. his year off. lol) Organizing the HHV at the same time may be more than he can handle, especially if he is asked to do both badges and Mystery Challenge. My personal opinion - I hope the folks that took the reins in HHV this year (Null Space folks I believe?) step up and become organizers as well. They worked their butts off and I think they'd do a great job.
      WUVMVEtSUktQRlJOVE9CSENLRUFIUUtR

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
        To back up Cot a little.. I see Lost the other 358 days of the year, and he really does work himself into the ground with Mystery Challenge (and the badges this year.. his year off. lol) Organizing the HHV at the same time may be more than he can handle, especially if he is asked to do both badges and Mystery Challenge. My personal opinion - I hope the folks that took the reins in HHV this year (Null Space folks I believe?) step up and become organizers as well. They worked their butts off and I think they'd do a great job.
        It would probably be a good idea for him to publicly hand off control to organizers of Null Space labs, and give up a contact for that so they can announce their intentions to bring back the HHV for DC20, and let people get an early start with their HHV contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post
          I hope the folks that took the reins in HHV this year (Null Space folks I believe?) step up and become organizers as well. They worked their butts off and I think they'd do a great job.
          That's a great idea. The Null Space kits they sold in the vendor area were great; simple and elegant. Bought a couple myself to play with.

Comment

Hi,................... jajajajajaja http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocXsuf2KCgw desde que vi tu comentario con ejemplos de videos, o sea links, se me ah hecho un visio verlos para reirme un poco.. ajjaja

Comment

Working...
            X