Hacker Jeopardy at DC19?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacker Jeopardy at DC19?

With DC only a couple of short months away, I notice that there's no mention one way or the other of Hacker Jeopardy. Can anyone tell me if HJ is making a triumphant(?!) return this year or not?

Thx...
    -ravyn

Re: Hacker Jeopardy at DC19?

I don't know why Winn hasn't posted his usuall call for questions, but I know that Winn is planning to do this again this year, and is looking for a few good questions.

Comment

Originally posted by ravyn View Post
      With DC only a couple of short months away, I notice that there's no mention one way or the other of Hacker Jeopardy. Can anyone tell me if HJ is making a triumphant(?!) return this year or not?

Thx...
      -ravyn
      I just hope to GOD that the pre-screening of teams gets put in place this year. Some of the teams last year were... um... well... a bag of hammers comes to mind.
      'jazz

Comment

Originally posted by arahel_jazz View Post
        I just hope to GOD that the pre-screening of teams gets put in place this year. Some of the teams last year were... um... well... a bag of hammers comes to mind.
        Granted, I haven't seen the rules in a LONG time, but historically you don't have to be able to answer the questions to win. there IS a drinking component. Being smart AND being able to drink vikings under the table helps but hypothetically, a team that can drink should be able to win. Hence the drunken whores success and FORCED RETIREMENT.

Comment

Pre-screening is a good idea, but how and when would you do the screening?
          PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

When the teams get on stage ask them what 12+16 is. If they take more than 60 seconds or cannot agree on an answer, replace them.

I swear they could have made a team from random audience members and had better luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
              Pre-screening is a good idea, but how and when would you do the screening?
              Much like Flea I haven't been to HJ in several years, but wasn't part of the fun the fact that some of the teams were so severely overmatched that the drinking component was their only hope?
              perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Much like Flea I haven't been to HJ in several years, but wasn't part of the fun the fact that some of the teams were so severely overmatched that the drinking component was their only hope?
                That has happened in the past, but there have been claims by HJ (HJ=Hacker Jeopardy) organziers over the years to change the rules and make it impossible to win just by drinking or remove the incentive in-game to drink heavily. If I recall correctly, this change to put limits on advantages provided through drinking started appearing the year that followed the garbage can with plastic liner for people to vomit their consumed drinks into. I remember people in the audience back then talking amongst each other questioning the value of points for drinking if the alcohol is just vomited up, and asking why those points were not taken away when vomiting occurred.

Watching people get drunk and do stupid/crazy things on stage was a great source of entertainment. One of the early years at the AP, a team tried this, but after [too] many drinks, one of the team members decided to try to answer one of the higher valued questions, and failed. Then their team harassed their member mercilessly for losing like $00 or $800 or so, which I think was equivalent to 4 beers.

In talking with people that organized this in the past, there is a desire to get easy questions available on many topics so that for any question of low to medium value, a large percent, if not majority might have the answer more often than not. This has been another source of entertainment in small doses; watching people fail at simple questions.

One year, when the Vana would remove an article of clothing for each daily double if answered correctly. The Vana dressed in such a way that they could easily remove 2 pieces of clothing without getting naked (top or bottom.) I think the second night, someone put 3 or more daily doubles up. I'm not sure if this was intentional or a mistake, but 3 were answered correctly, so the audience called to have one of the two remaining articles of clothing removed, which would have exposed top or bottom. Priest eventually showed up to let people know neither of these was going to happen because there were underage people in the audience, and they should just get back to playing the game or leave.A year or two later, I was not at the HJ event, but the organizer actually hired a stripper, and I think she did get topless, and pictures were taken by many people in the audience. Who knows if this was a wardrobe malfunction or planned.

Comment

Well, really...the best bits of HJ last year seemed to me to be heckling the... less gifted teams. I lean towards no pre-quals; doing so could cause this year's teams to be top-notch.

That would then really require the consumption of more alcohol by the audience to produce equivalent levels of heckling....

Suddenly, my position on this matter is vacillating....is there a way to give the audience swag for creative heckling? Or just drinking, whatever.
                  The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

I'm considering participating this year in HJ, so I definitely want to know when reg. is open.

As an aside, is anyone else a bit uncomfortable with the whole Vanna Vinyl thing? Maybe I'm a prude, but it seems a bit exploitative. Or, at a minimum, it's easy to see it as exploitative.
                    It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by YenTheFirst View Post
                      I'm considering participating this year in HJ, so I definitely want to know when reg. is open.

As an aside, is anyone else a bit uncomfortable with the whole Vanna Vinyl thing? Maybe I'm a prude, but it seems a bit exploitative. Or, at a minimum, it's easy to see it as exploitative.
                      Oh. God. Thank you so MUCH for that. Oh, my ribs hurt. Ow ow OW!

Okay, now that I'm not laughing, I have to say this.

You must be new here.

{and yes, I see your join date}

Comment

I actually applaud Vana for "putting it out there" so to speak. The best moment of DC18 was when one of the daily double winners got severely embarassed (and greatly heckled) taking off an article of her clothing.

I was just hoping for more basic intelligence - even before they loaded up on beers.

I just might have to put a team together this year and go for it...
                        'jazz

Comment

If you are smart enough to know that the invention of the automobile did not destroy the piano industry, you may be a candidate for Hacker Jeopardy.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
                            If you are smart enough to know that the invention of the automobile did not destroy the piano industry, you may be a candidate for Hacker Jeopardy.
                            HAHA nice... apparently you may still be a candidate WITHOUT knowing that...

Yen, on the one hand I am inclined to agree with you, since I too am a little troubled by exploitative scenarios. But ya know...while we do go to DC to learn, for some of us this is also our big chance to cut loose each year.

Yeah, we do objectify women to some extent IMHO with all this, but some women feel it is liberating, and really in modern culture, the exploitation at DC is frankly decidedly tame.

So yeah, I'll probably yet again get my pic taken with Vanna; I will once again lose my voice heckling...and maybe this year, be the one to be heckled.
                            The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

#1 Favorite: HACKER JEOPARDY: Registration for Hacker Jeopardy XIX is now open!

The Longest Running and Most Popular DefCon Game - Asking Embarrassing Questions Since DC 2!

* Schwag * Booze * Vanna * Filth * Booze * Beer Betty * Humiliation * Geeks * Winn * Booze * Degradation * GMark *

Schedule:

Round 1: Friday 5 Aug 2100 (9 p.m.)
                              Round 2: Friday 5 Aug 2200 (10 p.m.)
                              Round 3: Saturday 6 Aug 2100 (9 p.m.)
                              FINALS: Saturday 6 Aug 2200 (10.p.m.)

Seating area fills up fast -- get there early.

FULL BAR available for audience (21 and over).

Wanna Play? Submit Your Team by FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS:

Send an e-mail to HackerJeopardy [at] gmail [dot] com that includes:
                              1. Your team name
                              2. Real names (we protect), handles, and cell #s for each player
                              (Total of three players for team)
                              3. Essay question: "Why last year's HJ players sucked and why we should play instead" in 100 words or less

We'll draw for teams 1 hour before rounds, so don't wait till the last minute!

- G. Mark
                              Check out the HACKER JEOPARDY forum at

Comment

Working...
                              X