Defcon 19 Swag Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defcon 19 Swag Question

In another post someone mentioned looking to purchase a Messenger bag (Depending on how it looks).

Each year we know ahead of time the artwork that will be sold on Tee shirts but I don't remember ever seeing the rest of the stuff anywhere until the con opened.

Are pictures of the Swag Items that are going to be sold at the con posted anywhere ahead of time?

Between the anxiety of trying to decide what to purchase when you get to the front of the line and the delay to the others in line as we decide what to purchase once at the front, I would love to pretty much have my selections narrowed down way ahead of time. I bet the Swag sales crew would have an easier time also, if we knew what we wanted quicker.

When I was doing recon on the Rio recently there were display cases in the Rotunda between where Defcon 19 plans on having the Info booth, swag booth and registration desk that was showcasing some of the vender products that were part of the Convention going on at the time, Is there a chance Swag items can be displayed starting Wednesday (or early Thursday by the time people start queing up to purchase badges) in those cases?

That would give people time to look things over before the Swag booth opens and may make it easier on the Swag team when the time comes to open the swag booth.

Just wondering, Thanks

Re: Defcon 19 Swag Question

Originally posted by Bbox View Post
    That would give people time to look things over before the Swag booth opens and may make it easier on the Swag team when the time comes to open the swag booth.
    What I'm about to say is so orthogonal to what you've asked that I almost have pity for you ahead of time. Still, here it is.

Are they really calling the place where you give someone money for shirts and other items that say DC19 on them "SWAG" ???

I ask because that's always meant, in past, free random crap that you got from vendors. It stands for "Stuff We All Get" and runs the gamut from Shmoo balls to Notepads that say Secure Systems (I reached back in time to come up with some familiar items). I admit that it's been a long, long time since I saw any vendor at Defcon giving stuff out to the attendees, but I'll bet like crazy that they're doing it at BlackHat (they'd be crazy not to).

Boy, times sure have changed, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
      What I'm about to say is so orthogonal to what you've asked that I almost have pity for you ahead of time. Still, here it is.

Are they really calling the place where you give someone money for shirts and other items that say DC19 on them "SWAG" ???

I ask because that's always meant, in past, free random crap that you got from vendors. It stands for "Stuff We All Get" and runs the gamut from Shmoo balls to Notepads that say Secure Systems (I reached back in time to come up with some familiar items). I admit that it's been a long, long time since I saw any vendor at Defcon giving stuff out to the attendees, but I'll bet like crazy that they're doing it at BlackHat (they'd be crazy not to).

Boy, times sure have changed, you know?
      Actually: "Souvenirs, Wearables And Gifts" is what it refers to,however it's turned into promotional items, but the items are still the same type.

And yes,DC has called it the Swag booth for many many years now.

Can you go one day without complaining? Just curious.
      "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
        Actually: "Souvenirs, Wearables And Gifts" is what it refers to,however it's turned into promotional items, but the items are still the same type.

And yes,DC has called it the Swag booth for many many years now.
        Well, there it is. I don't think I've joined that line for many years, and when I did, I probably never thought one way or the other about what it might be called. I was curious, since I've heard (and used) the term for so many years.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/SWAG.html

Certainly both definitions are on there. I've just only heard the first two, and also silly wild ass guess (another one that's on there).

Sorry to have bothered you.

Comment

I want an umbrella with a def con logo on it. That probably won't happen, but can we get a listing of what will be available? Pics would be a bonus.

That is all. Carry on.

Comment

We'll try to get pics of everything on Wednesday when we receive the inventory. Perhaps Mister TheCotMan will let us post it on the forum before it goes on lock down.
            cows like candy

Comment

Originally posted by veruus View Post
              We'll try to get pics of everything on Wednesday when we receive the inventory. Perhaps Mister TheCotMan will let us post it on the forum before it goes on lock down.
              This year, I am planning on keeping the forums open for business, but also plan on making changes to decrease some risks. I plan to leave DC planning (this forum) open and open a new forums (Defcon 19 and beyond) for posting during and after con. Some threads will be moved or copied forward, and if/when that happens, a last post in the closed thread will point people to the new thread to keep talking about whatever topic is being discussed.

I will complete one backup of the forums on the Monday before defcon, and push that to off-site storage. If something catastrophic happens, that will be the reset point.

Why Monday? Defcon!

Also, don't expect me to be on the forum after Monday until the Monday after Defcon.
              Last edited by TheCotMan; July 21, 2011, 14:23.

Comment

HHV electronics kits will be available at the SWAG booth and in the Vendor area...

Comment

I prefer Strong Wise Accomplished Gentlemen as the acronym. I like the thought of having a booth were you can go to find Strong Wise Accomplished Gentlemen.
                  And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
                    HHV electronics kits will be available at the SWAG booth and in the Vendor area...
                    Can you get us a list of features and specs?
                    cows like candy

Comment

Originally posted by veruus View Post
                      Can you get us a list of features and specs?
                      They bring those with the kits.

Comment

Thanks for the input, let us know if therrs anything more we can do!
                        SunSh1ne
                        Last edited by sunsh1ne; July 21, 2011, 21:07. Reason: nooks are not good for forum posts.

Comment

We have some display ideas underway, I like the idea about the display cases, I'll see what we can do when I get on site. The team definatly sees the value in having people see thing before you hit the line. Thanks! SunSh1ne

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                            I prefer Strong Wise Accomplished Gentlemen as the acronym. I like the thought of having a booth were you can go to find Strong Wise Accomplished Gentlemen.

"I say, Geoffrey old chap.. I do believe this fellow is trying to purchase me."
                            WUVMVEtSUktQRlJOVE9CSENLRUFIUUtR

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen View Post

"I say, Geoffrey old chap.. I do believe this fellow is trying to purchase me."

I do not believe he was thinking "purchase" Rumor has it everyone voluntarily accompanies him so he would just be meeting up with "you" at the "SWAG" booth.

Comment

Working...
                              X