Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money, Money, Money

Hey all,

This is will be my first time attending defcon and I have a questioin about the amount of money to bring? Are the t-shirts and other items expensive at the con? Are there any ATM's located near the con either at the Alexis or within a block or two away? I am just looking to buy some t-shirts to bring back to show off to all my friends. Don't need money for booze I am not 21 yet...although....:)

Thanks
    node

dear mr. node

this is my first con too. i was told to bring at least 200$ and maybe some more. do u have a place to sleep yet? if not i am really sorry for u. and i am not 21 either everyone here can tell u that but i dont that that will stop you from drinking any, but u cant go to any bars and get hooked up but people at the con will hook u up with some stuff or well at least that is what i have been told. And yea there are goin to be shirts and stuff for sale there i just have no clue how much they are or who is sellin them. well i hope my letter to you has helped you in anyway that it could. And i will talk to you all later i have a bus to get on soon so see you all later this week. ;)

Comment

$200 is good if you already have a room and money for food and gas. Going with less can be done, but that's like going to Disneyland with $5 on you.

Shirts are going to be $20 for the most part. Some may be $15, Some may even be free if you are at the right place at the right time. Spot a fed and win a coveted shirt. Other trinkets will run from $5 for a coffee mug to $50 for a green laser, etc.

Comment

Don't forget hardware hardware hardware.
        Oh yeah...and there will be some people selling hardware...but not for $200:D
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Yea, there are laptops, Sun systems, monitors, NICs, CAT5 cable, and PCI cards all over the place. I'm looking forward to the hardware tables. It's hard for the sellers to complete in that market though.

Comment

I would suggest bringing mucho wads of cash for the con and standing next to a big guy wearing jinx shirts and pants with deep pockets.

Seriously, bring some cash, but I'd limit it and go from travellers checks and atms from there. Normal vacations might dictate such measures; being at the con with that many people (many of a certain nature, mind you) is just asking for trouble otherwise...
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

... oh and for all the newbies, don't forget to make sure to put all your cash in your right back pockets... ;)

... plus here is another opportunity to mention how much the AP's ATM sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
                ... oh and for all the newbies, don't forget to make sure to put all your cash in your right back pockets... ;)

... plus here is another opportunity to mention how much the AP's ATM sucks.

haha, no shit. you'll have to walk a few blocks to the nearest atm =]
                -encieno
                www.mirage.org
                encieno@aim

Comment

Originally posted by encieno
                  haha, no shit. you'll have to walk a few blocks to the nearest atm =]
                  Yeah, and I noticed that the cab drives aren't too happy about stopping and only driving a few blocks back and forth... I think they feel exploited.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

Yeah, and I noticed that the cab drives aren't too happy about stopping and only driving a few blocks back and forth... I think they feel exploited.
                    hahaha, i'm glad i've always walked, but i see what they're saying "fuckin no tip this trip"
                    -encieno
                    www.mirage.org
                    encieno@aim

Comment

hahaha, i'm glad i've always walked, but i see what they're saying "fuckin no tip this trip"
                      Walking always seems like a good idea... until I realize that it is dark outside, then i look back and notice i can't see the AP anymore... and the day time is even worse... the hot beating down, sweat poring like there is no tomorrow... blechk

Comment

Hey folks, tip your cabbies well. They are just working folk looking to make a buck and they gotta live off the tips you give. I know most of you are probably cash strapped yourselves, but they are probably even more so.

Plus, if you really want to get the low-down on anything Vegas - your friendly-neighborhood cabbie is the man (or gal) to go to. They are the working man's concierge.

Comment

I'll tip a cabbie $20 if he doesn't talk my ear off.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                            I'll tip a cabbie $20 if he doesn't talk my ear off.
                            I love talkin to vegas cabbies. Some have hooked me up with...umm.. things. One wanted to drive my ass out to the chicken ranch once, but I declined. However he did have one of their menus that I bought off him. They can almost always tell you the real dirt of what is going on.

Of course, don't be stupid either. There are plenty of stories of them getting kickbacks to lead you someplace where you're bound to get ripped off.

Comment

Originally posted by Contrarian
                              Of course, don't be stupid either. There are plenty of stories of them getting kickbacks to lead you someplace where you're bound to get ripped off.
                              Trust No One. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X