Party Entry - Good - Bad - ugly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party Entry - Good - Bad - ugly?

Wanted to ask folks (prefer non long time attendees - those are on here right?) how they felt about the party entry process. Many of the semi-private parties can be hard to get into (HackPmp) for example. Having worked nightclubs and such its a similar process.

What was your experience. I want to preface this with I personally like being able to let anyone into a party as long as they are not a DB. However for a lot of reasons that is not possible.

I had a number of people (3 in this specific example) at the HP party demanding and getting upset when they were not allowed in, but yet other people were allowed in (in front of) a line of around 75 people. Some of the 75 had to wait 30-45 minutes. I explained (trying customer service - and briefly considering letting everyone behind these 3 people in ahead of these people) that these are semi-private parties. Generally friends, long time con goers and goons get in first just because we all know each other. Boobs generally get in before D*cks. In some cases there is a list above the RSVP list. While its not perfect, I don't see anything wrong with newbies waiting in line, we train them to do that on the first day of the con - they like it. But this person in particular and his 2 buddies took offense to not being allowed in with the other people. They eventually left, and so we decided to let more people in..

But it got be thinking - we want everyone to have fun, there just is sometimes a wait and preferences for Friends..

But seriously, do newbies understand it takes time to get into some groups? I always try to grab the socially awkward people and get them to talk to each other..but sometimes its just a matter of waiting or getting to know people. Its not microprocessor design.
    +++ Dallas +++

Re: Party Entry - Good - Bad - ugly?

The line stantions were great! :)
    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

I would purchase a clown and have them entertain!

Comment

Originally posted by webdawg View Post
        I would purchase a clown and have them entertain!
        heh, the Hacker Pimps did have three clowns entertaining the crowd who gathered outside... Christina, Babak, and i were there in TSA outfits giving pat downs and confiscating non-alcoholic liquids.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

I was a first-time DefCon attendee this year. I had no difficulties with the party entry, mainly because I paid attention and followed the rules. I went to a semi-private party to which I was invited, and I attended some public events. I didn't try to crash private parties, so I did not have any difficulties.
          The quickest path to failure is not to try.

Comment

FYI crashing private parties is one of the funnest parts of defcon/blackhat/bsides. You won't always be successful, but it can be quite a challenge. Just make sure to do it in a way that you don't get caught, and for damn sure don't get anyone in trouble. Remember that they're not usually excluding people because they don't like them, they're doing it because of capacity/cost/etc limitations.

Kallahar
            --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

There were parties? Being stuck at the contest booth, I didn't score any invites, and being a new hotel, I didn't track down any locations at the last minute. For me Defcon was a bust. I'm back home still craving alcohol.

Comment

My first couple of DefCons I made it a point to crash the private parties. My most memorable was my first year when some guy said there was no way I'd be able to get into the Ninja Party. I took that as a personal challenge. That was a great party! :)

Rule #1 of DefCon (and parties): Don't be a dick.

If you abide by that rule, and treat everyone nice- things have a way of falling into place,

-BK-

Comment

I wanted to thank Skydog, Nathan, Dallas etc for HP this year. Sorry my attendance was limited to anti-photog and then medical/security support. Next year the female will be there in human capacity (at least one of them). Will chat more before next year. Oh yeah... I am taking off Friday and Sat next year (except for VV transport). Look forward to actually ATTENDING a party in human form next year.

Again, thanks for the HP party! The rest I suppose is good to be forgotten history.

Comment

Best thing I ever did in my life. Thanks Again.

Comment

Working...
                    X