Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some videos from Defcon 19

https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc...9-archive.html

(Saw an announcement about this on twitter.)

"Slide Videos" appear to be video of the slides with an audio track of the speaker. The first one I tried (top of the list) did not work as a video for me by another did.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; October 26, 2011, 08:19.

Re: Some videos from Defcon 19

I am rather disappointed with these videos for two reasons...p
    1. The overall layout.

These are basic 4:3 aspect ratio captures of only the projector feed. It's 2011, can we please go widescreen? Most cons nowadays (i.e. DojoCon, DerbyCon, etc) are capturing video with the slides occupying the bulk of the video (often on the right side) and then a small feed on the upper left showing the speaker. This also leaves the bottom left of the video frame free to have all the logos and details, as opposed to superimposing them on top of the video like we see here, which is ugly and makes a mess of the slides. (people often put URLs down on the bottom of their slides, etc. the Sound of Knowledge and DEFCON logos are on top of all that)

2. No Q & A

WTF? Half of the goddamn reason con talks are better than white papers is the Q&A that happens when a speaker finishes talking. I'm seeing the recordings simply stop dead half the time when the audience starts clapping. If a talk is scheduled for an hour, the recording should be an hour. Even if the last 20 minutes are of monkeys knife-fighting for the microphone, there may be that one gem of a question and a perfect answer that follows.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

an interesting follow-up... when i went to move these downloaded files to the appropriate place on my network, i saw i already had some DEFCON 19 videos. i'm not sure where i got them (or when, damn i've been away from home for a while!) but the ones that were already saved did indeed have this "multi-screen" video feed.

so we clearly did this sort of recording. i don't know how some videos were released in one format and others were released differently.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
        an interesting follow-up... when i went to move these downloaded files to the appropriate place on my network, i saw i already had some DEFCON 19 videos. i'm not sure where i got them (or when, damn i've been away from home for a while!) but the ones that were already saved did indeed have this "multi-screen" video feed.

so we clearly did this sort of recording. i don't know how some videos were released in one format and others were released differently.
        The partitioned video you describe with the speaker included in one section, slides in another, and another with defcon info is likely part of the videos provided by SOK for purchase. I've seen examples of this on YouTube, which were probably illegally posted, and if so, that link may become broken some time in the future.

It should be understood as implied, but I'll be specific: I do not have anything to do with Defcon videos. I just came across a comment about them in twitter, so I posted information about what was learned, here.
        Last edited by TheCotMan; October 26, 2011, 21:04.

Comment

Videos? I can't find ANY videos on the Defcon 19 Archives page. Are they somewhere else? Thanks.
          “I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.”

Comment

Originally posted by number006 View Post
            Videos? I can't find ANY videos on the Defcon 19 Archives page. Are they somewhere else? Thanks.
            Here is an example from the link I provided above: ( https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc...9-archive.html )

Originally posted by archives
            When Space Elephants Attack: A DEFCON Challenge for Database Geeks
            Read It! (PDF) See it! (Slides Video)
            Do you see the link anchored with text "Slides Video" ?
            That is a video (a .m4v) that can be downloaded and played with a video player that supports it. It works in xine and mplayer for me.

Comment

There are essentially three kinds of presentation recordings:

1 - Audio only
              2 - Slides only with audio
              3 - Slides, speaker, and audio

We just released #2, and are working on #1 and #3.

Deviant, what you, and many other like, is #3, but to get best effect you need a large screen. Those will be on-line in the future, andlong with #1 in .m4b audio book format so you can pause and resume.

The 4:3 video format is an artifact of the LCD projects and projector screen sizes.
              PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
                Deviant, what you, and many other like, is #3, but to get best effect you need a large screen. Those will be on-line in the future ... The 4:3 video format is an artifact of the LCD projects and projector screen sizes.
                Gotcha. And it seems my initial reaction in the post above was a bit over-done, as i'm now discovering a good number of talks with some or all of the Q&A intact. still quite curious as to why others are cut off.
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Found them, thanks. But I agree that this isnt the best recording, with slides and just the voice.
                  “I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.”

Comment

Working...
                  X