Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Short Story Contest

Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
    Well my #1 choice placed 2nd and was the "People's Choice" winner.
    My #2 and #3 choices did not appear on the top 3.

I don't know about the rest of you but I had a very difficult choice in picking a top three this year. There were a number of very good submissions making it hard to eliminate some. With my number 3, I had to roll the dice between three stories.

I actually changed one of my place choices when I saw that it was winning people's choice by a landslide. My number two was in the actual top three. My number three didn't place. It's a toss up sometimes. Reading is often subjective.
    "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
      I actually changed one of my place choices when I saw that it was winning people's choice by a landslide. My number two was in the actual top three. My number three didn't place. It's a toss up sometimes. Reading is often subjective.
      Yeah, that kinda happened to me too. My Number one didn't win, lost by a point. I did see so many of you voted for the people's choice winner, but it wouldn't be fair to eliminate it just because it had already won people choice, so if the votes roll that way, they roll that way. Since People's choice is a separate voting system and the prize doesn't mean you can't win the main event, maybe next year that will change. Maybe we hold peoples choice AFTER the voting takes place for the main prizes, that way if the "people" feel that we neglected their favorite they can still win something. Next year it's up to the new contest lead to decide how they want to work it, score it, and dish out prizes, if it wasn't already too late I would have given a prize to the honorable mention too, but I don't have the budget to do so.
      "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
        Next year it's up to the new contest lead to decide how they want to work it, score it, and dish out prizes.
        And so I am now taking applications for who wants to run the contest for next year. I'm leaning towards the applicants write their OWN Short story on how awesome DEF CON is and then let the people decide who should be the lead. Sort of a public office election.....Not saying that it's a requirement, I'm just going over the idea.... thoughts?
        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

I agree with everyone that the stories were all very well done! I think every entrant can be very proud of their work.

Now the question I have is do the winners or any of the other entrants want to read their submission aloud at our Defcon Forum Meet on Friday night?

If any of you are interested please let me know so we can set up times for readings.

Thanks

Comment

ShortGrrl had previously volunteered to read my work from the first two contests; she'd probably be happy to read whatever.
            TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Re: The Winners are....

People's Choice - DEF CON Unbound, by John McNabb

First Place - A Silent, Private Place, by Davien
              Second Place -DEF CON Unbound, by John McNabb

Honorable mention- The Beginning of the End, by Siobhan Morrison

I believe that was my exact pick:

First Place: "A Silent, Private Place" by Davien

Second Place: "DEF CON UNBOUND" By John McNabb

Third Place: "The Beginning of the End" by Siobhan Morrison

All the stories were excellent. However, I do have to have to be honest: If you didn't follow the "theme" for this year, it counted HEAVILY against you (at least in as far as my votes were concerned).

Last year it didn't matter to me as much, but since this will be DefCon 20... Had it been another year, my choices may have been different.

And so I am now taking applications for who wants to run the contest for next year. I'm leaning towards the applicants write their OWN Short story on how awesome DEF CON is and then let the people decide who should be the lead. Sort of a public office election.....Not saying that it's a requirement, I'm just going over the idea.... thoughts?
              If that doesn't end up happening, I think Eris would be a great choice to lead up the effort.
              And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Was it ever decided if we're doing a reading? I'm still interested in participating. :)

Luna

Comment

Originally posted by jamgrrl View Post
                  Was it ever decided if we're doing a reading? I'm still interested in participating. :)

Luna
                  I got no response when I ask people about reading, so we have nothing formal, however I am hoping people still show up to read. Please feel free to come on by friday night. we would love to hear you read.

Comment

Cool! What time and where?

Comment

Found it. Navigating the forum on just a phone with spotty net access is difficult. :) Palma G&H, tonight, Friday, 9pm. I'll drop by around then.

Comment

Working...
                      X