REAMDE (Neil Stephenson's new novel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REAMDE (Neil Stephenson's new novel)

Did anyone else read this? After so many months of reading it on airplanes I finally finished it.

It first alludes to Defcon ("a hacker conference in Las Vegas") then namedrops Defcon in a number of places. One of the characters is a former Defcon speaker.
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Re: REAMDE (Neil Stephenson's new novel)

Originally posted by bascule View Post

It first alludes to Defcon ("a hacker conference in Las Vegas") then namedrops Defcon in a number of places. One of the characters is a former Defcon speaker.
    I've invited him to speak at DEF CON, but no response as of yet, I hope he responds in time. Also, it's Neal, not Neil. :-)
    "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Did anyone else read this? After so many months of reading it on airplanes I finally finished it.

I enjoyed it. As with most of his books the wildly divergent subplots came together in a way I didn't expect. He has always struck me as someone that did a LOT of research before trying to write about a topic.
      Aut disce aut discede

Comment

I did, back when it first came out in September. Like a lot of Stephenson's novels, it was rather verbose, but a good read.

Last week, I read Corey Doctorow's "For The Win", and last summer I read Charles Stross' "Halting State". Oddly enough, all three use MMORPG economies as central plot themes, but do it in wildly different ways. Of the three, "Halting State" is the best, followed by "REAMDE", and then "For The Win."

"Rule 34", the sequel to "Halting State", is just as good as the original, although it deals with fabbers, spammers, and AI, and nary a word is said about MMORPGs. Stross may replace Stephenson as my favorite author if he keeps writing this well.
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
          Also, it's Neal, not Neil. :-)
          I knew that, I swear
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
          [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
          X