Buying up all the goodies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying up all the goodies...

Is it safe to assume the vendors at Defcon will directly accept travellers checks? I know the door fee is strictly cash only...
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Re: Buying up all the goodies...

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
    Is it safe to assume the vendors at Defcon will directly accept travellers checks? I know the door fee is strictly cash only...
    Oh now that's just funny... ;) ... depending on who you hand it to may vary results... but I have noticed that some people have enough trouble handling cash... getting 15 dollars change for a 10 dollar tshirt using a 10 dollar bill... hmmm... sounds profitable... but to whom?

Comment

Re: Re: Buying up all the goodies...

>... but I have noticed that some people have enough trouble >handling cash... getting 15 dollars change for a 10 dollar tshirt >using a 10 dollar bill... hmmm... sounds profitable... but to >whom?

Henh henh, and you figure when you find a vendor like this, they will scratch their ass, wonder why they are losing money and figure the way to profitability is by increasing transactions/volume!

NotaFed

Comment

No, it's not safe to assume (both about the travellers checks, and things in general. Heh.)

Vendors at Defcon are almost exclusively cash only. If anyone takes anything else, it's gonna be Loompanics or MECO. But I'd highly suggest bringing cash to the hotel.

I can say at least on behalf on NinjaGear/Halibut Stuff that we won't be accepting anything but cash this year. Haven't any of the years before, won't be this year either.

Also, some vendors have their best products sell out on friday. All our best gear last year sold out very quickly, and this year we have some crazy limited edition stuff that will almost definitely be completely sold out by the middle of the day Friday. If you're going to buy stuff, buy early in the con, because we only bring a limited amount of stuff, and some of this stuff is *only* available at Defcon.

NinjaGear will have 3 items this year that are only available at defcon, and once they're gone, they're gone. Last year we had the "I am Jack's Overwritten Stack Pointer" shirt sell out in a flash, and a lot of people were disappointed. We had people coming by all day sunday asking about them and getting turned away. So get in early and see if you want anything. Don't wait until Sunday when all the good stuff is gone.

-barkode

Comment

>Vendors at Defcon are almost exclusively cash only. If anyone >takes anything else, it's gonna be Loompanics or MECO.

And you figure buying anything from Loompanics should be a cash transaction. Didn't the Feds try to get customer info from da Loomp a while back?

NotaFed

Comment

I'll be carrying 500 $2 bills with me, that ought to really confuse those calculators. Cash talks. Money orders, Traveler's checks, IOUs, forget about them. If you don't trust cash, bring some RAM Chips and just trade.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
              I'll be carrying 500 $2 bills with me, that ought to really confuse those calculators. Cash talks. Money orders, Traveler's checks, IOUs, forget about them. If you don't trust cash, bring some RAM Chips and just trade.
              Hmmm I wonder if anyone has gotten away with using counterfeit 20's... just a thought... I don't recal anyone using the bleach testing pens or the UV check.. hmmmm... ;) of course not the brightest thing to do at the con.

Comment

look for kelvin
                he'l be having a 2 4 1 sale on fake $20.

vendors, i'll have counter fit bill markers available for $10

tap it from both ends!

j/k:D :D :D
                the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
                  tap it from both ends!
                  Sounds like some of my ex-girlfriends.. ;)

Comment

i resent that!

the fresh prince of 1337

Comment

Pass counterfeit $20 bills and you'll be on the fastrack for spotting the feds!

Comment

do they get a "i spotted the KeLviN" shirt?
                        the fresh prince of 1337

Comment

No, but they get a couple of rocky mountain oysters to hang from their rear view mirror!

Comment

um, (voice cracks) where to they get them from? (hesitant. begins slowly backing away...)
                            the fresh prince of 1337

Comment

Working...
                            X