Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Registration for Crash And Compile: DC20 is now closed. What now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration for Crash And Compile: DC20 is now closed. What now?

That's it, folks, put your pencils down. The registration period for Crash and Compile: DC20 is closed. Thank you to everyone who entered.

There are a total of 8 team slots, 2 of which are already filled, leaving 6 slots open. For those 6 slots, I think we had about 10 entries. (Sorry, I'm at work right now and haven't added the last minute entries to my spreadsheet yet.) So there will definitely be a pre-qualification process.

The details will be sent in an email in a day or two, assuming I can wrangle myself, Namniart and Gius together long enough to put it all together that quickly, but that's the goal. But the process will probably go something like this:

You will need to find a couple hours in the next couple weeks when your team can sit down uninterrupted and code up a challenge problem. No drinking for this one, just code sober (don't worry, you can drown your sorrows when you're done.) You tell us when this period is, and we'll send you the problem at the beginning of that time period. We'll need the solution sent back to us within the stated time frame (don't know how long it'll be yet, but on the order of an hour or so.) The exact methods of distribution and turn-in are still being defined, but could be as simple as email, or might be an automated system (hence the wrangling, and my asking what languages y'all are likely to use.)

The context of this pre-qualification problem is different than the game. You're sober, you'll have more references available to you, and (unless you provide your own, which you are welcome to do) there won't be anyone trying to "distract" you from your work. Consequently, the challenge will probably be harder than what you should expect for the actual night. (Don't worry, it'll still be doable.) Because WE will be running this code on our own servers, we will provide a list of languages and versions that we can support. If your preferred language is not on that list, let us know and we'll do our best to add it, but I think we've got a pretty comprehensive list. Yes, Frink is on it, no a PDP-11 is not (though K&R C might be.) (Ignoring the fact that Frink Rules! and Psychoholics are the two walk-on teams.)

Like I said, more details will be sent in email in the next few days, but are there any questions so far?

Re: Registration for Crash And Compile: DC20 is now closed. What now?

Sure one quick question, I sent you a DM and an email a while ago. Haven't heard anything back. Did "team rdg" make it on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Gunn4r View Post
      Sure one quick question, I sent you a DM and an email a while ago. Haven't heard anything back. Did "team rdg" make it on the list?
      Yeah, that's my bad. Sorry. I've been busy with some other things in the evenings so I haven't been good about getting back to folks who registered after my last round of notifications. I do have your registration info.

I'm going to send another round of confirmation emails tonight. We are very close to having the pre-qualification stuff figured out, but have a bit more work to do. Details will be in email.

Comment

Holy crap, folks, you are amazing. We have 15 teams signed up for pre-qualifications, 4 of which are going Rōnin style. That's amazballs. Seriously, this is a huge honor that so many of you want to play my stupid game. :-)

Now I've got the difficult task of narrowing down those 15 into 6 open slots. ...suppose I should get to work, huh? ;-)

Comment

Aww yeah, bring on the pre quals!

I hope we make it, last year was a blast.. Can't wait to party with the psychoholics and their pdp-11 again.

Comment

For anyone subscribed to this thread: Note that pre-qualification challenge has been issued. Check yer email.

Comment

Working...
            X