DEF*CON Tactical Vests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEF*CON Tactical Vests?

This was my first year at DEF*CON and, WOW, what an experience!
    I noticed quite a few of the Goons walking around with tactical vests that had "DEFCON" printed on them. Were those "official" tactical gear? Or is that just a coincidental brand name?
    Also, it looked like they had a single large pocket with a zipper on the back that would accommodate a small laptop. Was that a real or just wishful thinking on my part?

Thanks!
    RyuMaou

Re: DEF*CON Tactical Vests?

Maybe, Maybe not. A lot speaker operations staff have 5.11 Mesh Concealment Vest. Unfortunately they are not manufactured any more.
    AMFYOYO

Comment

Not that it helps much, but www galls com has some great other vests (along with other fun stuff)... but I agree, the ones that they usually use are great... if you find a suitable replacement, I might want to get one too.

--AR

Comment

Ah, I see, thank you. Did they have the large, zippered compartment on the back? Honestly, that was what I was really excited about.

I know they were rigged up with radios and such in an official capacity, but it really looked like a smart way to carry the gear I lugged in a bag. As an amateur photographer, I'm always looking for better ways to more evenly distribute gear and weight.

In any case, thanks, both for the info and the fine work y'all did running things. I've run small meetings before and you folks did an incredible job, especially considering the amazing crowd!

Comment

They do not have a pocket in the back. I know Lockheed has a Russian vest that does, but don't know if he brought it. The mesh concealment's don't. Did the goon in question wear a red or black shirt?

Originally posted by ryumaou View Post
          Ah, I see, thank you. Did they have the large, zippered compartment on the back? Honestly, that was what I was really excited about.

I know they were rigged up with radios and such in an official capacity, but it really looked like a smart way to carry the gear I lugged in a bag. As an amateur photographer, I'm always looking for better ways to more evenly distribute gear and weight.

In any case, thanks, both for the info and the fine work y'all did running things. I've run small meetings before and you folks did an incredible job, especially considering the amazing crowd!
          AMFYOYO

Comment

Are you sure you're thinking of an actual vest, and not a backpack? Because many (most) of the goons were wearing grey hydration packs. They had zippered pockets on the outside and all said Goon

Sorry if it's a stupid question, just trying to point people in the correct direction.
            Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Originally posted by Salem View Post
              Are you sure you're thinking of an actual vest, and not a backpack? Because many (most) of the goons were wearing grey hydration packs. They had zippered pockets on the outside and all said Goon

Sorry if it's a stupid question, just trying to point people in the correct direction.
              Actually it's pretty funny to see how over the years the different groups of goons have come up with different solutions to carrying their gear. The Tac-vest seems to largely be a SpeakerOps thing. Meanwhile the security goons seem to have slowly drifted towards hydration packs.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by Agent X View Post
                They do not have a pocket in the back. I know Lockheed has a Russian vest that does, but don't know if he brought it. The mesh concealment's don't. Did the goon in question wear a red or black shirt?
                I seem to recall it was a red-shirted goon, but, well, I've slept twice since then. And it may not have actually been a large, zippered pocket, but it sure *looked* like one. If it is, I'd happily navigate a Russian site to buy one! And, I'm 99% sure it was NOT a hydration pack, but some variation on a tac-vest.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Salem View Post

Not a stupid question at all! Pretty sure this one did not actually say "goon" on it. Possibly it was this:
                  http://defcon5usa.com/index.php/vest...n-harness.html
                  Which makes reference to a "dorsal pouch", which can be removed. If I could find a photo of the back of it, I could confirm. If I do, I will!

Thanks!

Comment

There are a few pics on this page (left side - next to last row) which show a hydration system with a defcon logo... is this what you're looking for? http://hackerphotos.com/index.php/de...fcon-20?page=5

Comment

It probably helps that those vests are available in black and match the shirts. I've been seeing a lot of "coyote tan" hydration packs in our crew. Typically, security goons have got water, some food, a first aid kit for those with training, Sharpie marker, backup Sharpie, radios and assorted radio bits, hold-out Sharpie and a little extra room for vendor purchases, holding on to stuff for other goons, etc.

Arclight

Originally posted by noid View Post
                      Actually it's pretty funny to see how over the years the different groups of goons have come up with different solutions to carrying their gear. The Tac-vest seems to largely be a SpeakerOps thing. Meanwhile the security goons seem to have slowly drifted towards hydration packs.

Comment

Originally posted by topsnooper View Post
                        There are a few pics on this page (left side - next to last row) which show a hydration system with a defcon logo... is this what you're looking for? http://hackerphotos.com/index.php/de...fcon-20?page=5
                        Nope, it was black with a white or light logo on it, for sure. And it was not something over a vest, but actually part of the vest.
                        No worries, though. Looks like it was someone's particular choice and unless I get lucky and they see this discussion, I'll just have to make a guess and see how it turns out. If I find something particularly good, I'll be sure to share!

Thanks, y'all!

Comment

Working...
                        X