Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank you all so much! (and post-DC Shoot discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you all so much! (and post-DC Shoot discussion)

Just wanted to chime in and than everyone for a really wonderful time out in the desert again this summer. No one got hurt, no one was kicked off for being unsafe, no one even ND'd into the dirt or anything.

Super special thanks go to Firmwarez, ShortGrl, AST, and Joe for being awesome about all the support and bringing kickass toys. I'm also missing some folk in that list (names left off intentionally) but i'll say thank you as always for the cannon, for the nearly unlimited supply of 50 BMG fun, and to all the fucking wonderful folk who were Orange Vest RSOs and Yellow Vest Staff.

The rentals went well again this year (save for the one tent we put way up high on the hill which didn't get used... i thought some folk would want it for filming and general over watch view) and the rental company was happy with us.

As mentioned during the closing, due to the addition of Wednesday (which was the fucking BOMB by the way!) we took in enough from lane rentals and shooter reg to more than cover the cost of the tents this time. That means that next year i'm changing the price structure... $15 for shooters, $10 for un-frees, and only $5 for military. On site reg will be allowed again next year, but at a $20 price for anyone who shows up without pre-reg.

Lanes will likely still be $20 per session, but i may opt to do a package price if you want to double up. If you want a lane for two back-to-back sessions (a whole day) it will maybe only be $30 total for you. I haven't settled on that number yet... let me re-run the whole spreadsheet from this year using the new pricing to see how we would fare under those numbers.

I didn't sell ammo on site and that was fine with me. We did seem to have a shortage, however, of some calibers... so maybe a group ammo run the day before wouldn't be the worst idea.

Transportation seemed to work out well, save for some folk who didn't know where people were meeting and how to get there. If you read the DC Shoot info page beforehand, i really can't imagine how you wouldn't find the site... but some people still seemed confused.

I was out at the site way late and super early, so i couldn't be part of the official caravan. Maybe we need to nominate someone for that next year.

The camping overnight plan is going to be fucking AWESOME next time. I had no idea it would get THAT beautiful in the night time where we were.

I plan to embed spikes or stakes in the ground downrange to designate lanes a little more clearly in the target zone, to help reduce people shooting things they shouldn't.

We had plenty of water due to donations (thank you!) and my huge ice cooler worked great... it stayed frosty the entire day. Things i want more of next time will be trash bags and tables. We had some "rear" tables, but i want even more.

Parking worked out well (when the cannon wasn't setting off car alarms!) and everyone was very respectful of people's cars, etc. Thanks to the TOOOL members from France who got that one fellow's vehicle open when he locked his keys inside!

I will say that i want to invest in some spinner and flipper targets. Stuff that can auto-reset and not have to be messed with. Targets have historically always been a problem at the shoot. I need to buy Re-Bar or something and have chicken wire or string for people to clip up their own things... but mostly when people bought dollar store shaving cream or were popping off at bottles of colored water that was quite fun.

Also, i loved that there were some shotgun clays that had soft-landed way up on the mountain. I loved shooting them. (and i loved impressing the bystanders who saw me hitting them, heh... i've got some game, even if i don't get much trigger time on the line) ... i'd love to try to see if we can intentionally get a lot of them to land up on the mountain like that before the shoot starts.

Those are the bulk of my thoughts for now... i'm sure there will be more to think about when our brains get chatting about this.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Thank you all so much! (and post-DC Shoot discussion)

Wednesday was awesome, need to start an hour earlier to avoid shotting by flashlight :)

Top work sir!

Comment

Thanks Deviant!

Rocking event!

Camping out there is incredible. It got downright chilly. I suggest anyone planning on camping bring a snuggle buddy or two.

The night sky there is amazing, even with the light blob from Vegas. If you're used to turning in under the light pollution of an urban world, the desert night is a nice treat.

Hope to see you guys next year. I will do my best to bring the M203 and some fun rounds for it!
      TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Next year I hope to have some more NFA toys.

Comment

Hopefully the target holder thing I'm developing commercially will be ready for public consumption by next year.

Comment

I would like to say thanks to Deviant, all the volunteer RO's, and basically everyone. I had a blast on thursday. Everyone I was with was amazingly friendly to a newbie Canadian.

Unfortunately, I didn't bump into anyone else during the convention. I was hoping to give away beer to some of you!

Oh well - next year!

Comment

I know it takes a while and can be a bit pricey but does anyone have a suggestion on a suppressor for an AR-15 (.223 no conversion)? Or even what to look for in buying one?

Comment

5.56 is pretty loud even with a suppressor. Especially if your barrel is short to start with. A good one will make it quieter than unsuppressed 22lr, but it's not ever going to be "action movie quiet", and you still may want to wear ears, since most of them leave it above the "repetitive noise" hearing damage threshold (which is pretty low, like 90-100dB, most 5.56 suppressed are far higher.)

If you really want it though, without more information it's hard to answer your question. How big of a suppressor are you willing to tolerate? How heavy? What budget? Do you want to shoot with no ears at all?

Comment

There is subsonic .223 ammo so the suppressor sounds better but you better open your wallet wide and plan on re-zeroing.

Comment

If you take 223 subsonic you might as well get a .22LR conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigs View Post
                      If you take 223 subsonic you might as well get a .22LR conversion.
                      A supersonic round really takes a toll on a suppressor. I prefer using one on naturally slow ammo like the 45ACP.

Comment

Thanks for putting that on man, had a great time. Hope everyone had a good time shooting the MG's I brought :-)

Hopefully I can make it out again next year also.

If you all want to do an ammo deal, let me know and I can buy whatever ammo is needed at a local gun show, and then just bring it down to the shoot when needed. If any ammo dosn't get used, I'll just buy it and take it home (it'll get used).

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by pand0ra View Post
                          I know it takes a while and can be a bit pricey but does anyone have a suggestion on a suppressor for an AR-15 (.223 no conversion)? Or even what to look for in buying one?
                          I own 2 x .223 supressors, and they are both made by Gemtech (www.gem-tech.com) I know the guys at Gemtech and they make the best quality supressors and, by far, have the best customer service out there.

Check out their G5 supressor (comes with a bi-lock adapter)

This brings up a topic though. Even though you have a supressor, everyone alse is shooting un-supressed, you you have to wear your ears anyway.

Perhaps we should have a 30 minute shooting session of just supressed weapons?

Joe

Comment

Working...
                          X