Thank you, Good night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you, Good night!

If you were at Defcon this year, 2012, and attended closing ceremonies you may already be aware of the fact that Siviak has stepped down as lead organizer for the Hunt. After many years of playing, and many years of making the game, he has had enough. He lost the black badge as an award for the contest a few years ago, but worked very hard, along with his new team, and regained it as a prize for the Hunt this year. He also gave up one of his personal black badges as a prize this year as well. There ain't nothing quite like going "out on top!"

What wasn't announced, formally, was that myself(Eris) and Vandal, are also "stepping down." We stepped up 4 years ago when our good friend Siv was foundering a bit on the Hunt and helped him organize it better, market it louder, and make it a contest worth the attention of the world and the DEFCON staff. There is a re-writable, custom coded, scoring database now! It has its own Twitter feed, it has a Facebook fan page, it has its own email and its own webpage. There is an online repository of photos from all the years the Hunt has existed, every list that could be found has been published, and good relations were established with multiple sponsors for prizes above and beyond what every wonderful onsite vendor gives each year. It's been hard work, with lots of love, and sweat, and tears, put into it. For Eris especially, running the social media aspects, it has been a year round job for the last 4 years! But we just don't have that kind of time anymore.

To that end we included two new judges over the last two years. We have shown them the ropes, given them access to the background archives, helped them see what we did with it for a few years to get them started on turning it into their own, putting their stamp on the event, in the years to come. Dualdflipflop and Salem will be taking over. They will be supported on the back end by Eris for at least a year but it is THEIR BABY NOW. We know they will do a fantastic job, we have taught them well, and they are smart and funny and love the chaos just as much as we do. They were hunters as well, so they know both sides of the table which always makes for better judges. Will they keep doing custom shirts? Who knows. It's their baby now, to dress it up however they wish. We wish them all the luck in the world and look forward, enthusiastically, to watching THEIR Hunt unfold!

Pyr0, there isn't any way we could ever say thank you enough, to you specifically.
    DT, thank you for seeing the potential and acknowledging the effort.
    Vendors, one and all, your constant material support warmed our hearts and depleted our wallets (we go shopping when we scavenge, we can't help ourselves!)and we appreciate every single thing all of you ever donated.

And finally, many thanks to everyone else who supported our efforts in the last few years. Who watched, saw we were trying, gave us suggestions and advice, and spoke up about and for us in staff meetings we never knew about. Who gave us all a chance to improve the contest and awarded our efforts by allowing us to give out a black badge again. Who laughed with us, cried with us, screamed at us, and generally helped us hack the hell out of people for years!

Peace out.
    "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Re: Thank you, Good night!

Defcon 21 Scavenger Hunt List:
    1. Buy a former Scavhunt judge a drink!

Comment

First and foremost I want to say a huge thank you to Siviak, Eris and Vandal for making this event as awesome as it is. You three have kicked more ass than I can express. From playing in the hunt for so many years to running it side by side with you, I can see how far it's come.

I know I speak for both DualD and myself when I say that we look forward to running the strangest, loudest, most chaotic and quite possibly the most infamous game at Defcon, the Scavenger Hunt.

Defcon 21 Scavenger Hunt List: 1. Buy a former Scavhunt judge a drink!
      This! Definitely this!
      Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Originally posted by Salem View Post
        First and foremost I want to say a huge thank you to Siviak, Eris and Vandal for making this event as awesome as it is. You three have kicked more ass than I can express. From playing in the hunt for so many years to running it side by side with you, I can see how far it's come.

I know I speak for both DualD and myself when I say that we look forward to running the strangest, loudest, most chaotic and quite possibly the most infamous game at Defcon, the Scavenger Hunt.

I am eager to see how you make it your own. Also, don't worry about putting that on the list. We KNOW how much alcohol ends up at that table already!!! :D
        "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
          I am eager to see how you make it your own. Also, don't worry about putting that on the list. We KNOW how much alcohol ends up at that table already!!! :D
          Even though it was my first Scav Hunt, we will miss you at the table. Hope to run across you elsewhere at DC21!

Comment

Working...
          X