Some Sort of Photography Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Sort of Photography Contest

Now not saying im going to do this, it just popped an idea when there was a discussion in the defcon shoot. Over the last year contests have been going from the usual sit and hack mod what have you, to hot sauce competitions, ice cream making, beard etc. What do you guys think of having some sort of competition for the photographers of defcon as it seems its becoming more of a norm for people to be taking pictures. Instead we make it people capturing the essence of the various defcon events. Allow photographers to submit say max of 5 photos or w/e number decided on. A panel looks them over blindly decides on which photos represent defcon or the contest the greatest. That person then win amazing loot.
    Obviously rules would have to abide by the con rules, and anyone with their face showing has to agree to it.
    This is just an idea let me know what you guys think.

Just realized i should have posted this under new ideas if a mod see's this could they move it there.
    BS
    Last edited by ButterSnatcher; February 18, 2013, 19:26.

Re: Some Sort of Photography Contest

Originally posted by ButterSnatcher View Post
    Now not saying im going to do this, it just popped an idea when there was a discussion in the defcon shoot. Over the last year contests have been going from the usual sit and hack mod what have you, to hot sauce competitions, ice cream making, beard etc. What do you guys think of having some sort of competition for the photographers of defcon as it seems its becoming more of a norm for people to be taking pictures. Instead we make it people capturing the essence of the various defcon events. Allow photographers to submit say max of 5 photos or w/e number decided on. A panel looks them over blindly decides on which photos represent defcon or the contest the greatest. That person then win amazing loot.
    Obviously rules would have to abide by the con rules, and anyone with their face showing has to agree to it.
    This is just an idea let me know what you guys think.
    I am not sure it was much of a contest, but a long time ago, there was this "thing" :

"Defcon Around the world"

In this thing, if I recall correctly, people were to submit pictures of themselves in various Defcon Tee Shirts at various locations around the world. I seem to remember a web page showing many of these pictures. It may still exist.

If this did happen as I remember it, it might spark more interest is somthing similar, or spawn new ideas.

Hope this helps.

Just realized i should have posted this under new ideas if a mod see's this could they move it there.
    BS
    Done.

Good luck!

Comment

This comes to mind

EROTICA!
      |

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        I am not sure it was much of a contest, but a long time ago, there was this "thing" :

"Defcon Around the world"

In this thing, if I recall correctly, people were to submit pictures of themselves in various Defcon Tee Shirts at various locations around the world. I seem to remember a web page showing many of these pictures. It may still exist.
        Now that you mention it i vaguely remember something along that (i didn't attend at the time though, lurked online). Though what i am hoping is anyone at the con could compete in rather then having to be a nice place. Maybe make a random con category where the most "unique" display of a defcon shirt.

Say make 3 categories, unique display / use of con shirt swag w/e, best "shopped" con photo, and captured con moment. with a sentence description.
        BS
        Last edited by ButterSnatcher; February 19, 2013, 14:45. Reason: Ninja Edit

Comment

I remember mini contests being announced before, which involved pictures after the "Defcon Around the World."

However, google is failing me. All I have found is this one announced by Nikita from around 2 years ago:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/defco...50273877612422

I thought there was another contest related to photos and Defcon announced on facebook.

I don't have a facebook account, but anyone that does can try searching for old photo contest results.

Comment

I cannot imagine how many photographs are shot at any give Defcon. I shoot about 6-8000 just by myself. I do not shoot for creativity or lighting but for a journalism approach, to capture the moment. I post the majority of my pics up at hackerphotos.com for fair use. The Defcon forums has its photo section for folks to upload their images at will. Sometimes a picture is not that big a deal at Defcon but in time grows on you, like Pool2Girl. Other images become of interest over time based on who is in them (Ghent, Josh) or where they were shot (old hotels). The awards for Defcon are along the lines of leet hackers, not light writers. Do they intersect? I have an intense interest in both however when I shoot a wedding I never think of Boolean logic,and when I am at a PC I never think of creative lighting. And if each attendee only shoots 100 images we are talking about a million photos. Then we get to deal with model releases if used for a contest....ugh what a nightmare.

In summation, my thought is to take pics, post them on flickr, pics.defcon.org, or anywhere you want, let the masses see them, and let that be your reward.

Comment

Working...
            X