X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purpose and why this forum exists...

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    It hasn't been something that has happened a lot in the past, but I think that could be on us. I think this is a good idea and will discuss the viability of having a "Presentation Discussion" sub-forum created. We'll have to get the word out through the main DEF CON site if we do it so that people know there is a place they can discuss the talks. Let us look into it and see if this isn't something we can do.

Thanks for the suggestion.

He made the suggestion, and he is an Admin, and a few people (in the thread where the above quote is cited and linked) like the idea, with the latest agreement posted today.

Ok, let's try this again, and see where it goes. If you have ideas on how to make it succeed this time, and do better, feel free to reply.

Purpose: Complain with constructive criticism or applaud values you liked in any presentations at Defcon 21. Discuss ideas about presentations you would like to see, or be brought back. Ask for questions from your peers about a presentation or hope a presenter might reply to your post.

Rules: The same standard rules over most forums are in effect here.

Questions about this forum? Ask in this thread.
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Re: Purpose and why this forum exists...

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    If you have ideas on how to make it succeed this time, and do better, feel free to reply.
    One option would need mod approval:

Make it so that lurkers can post to this forum immediately for the first 4-8 weeks after Defcon ends, and then revert to the first automated usergroup promotion that happens after 24 hours of being a lurker.

Another? Leave it open in the Defcon 21 archive, when moved.

Mentioned before: Get Neil to link it from the main Defcon 21 page(s) or the page listing the speakers and presentations and some text like, "Want to comment on this presentation?"

What are your ideas?
    tiny font: _. ___ _... ___ _.. _.__ .._ ... . ... __ ___ ._. ... . _._. ___ _.. . ._ _. _.__ __ ___ ._. .

Comment

One option would need mod approval:
      Make it so that lurkers can post to this forum immediately for the first 4-8 weeks after Defcon ends, and then revert to the first automated usergroup promotion that happens after 24 hours of being a lurker.
      I like it!
      Originally posted by TheCotMan

Mentioned before: Get Neil to link it from the main Defcon 21 page(s) or the page listing the speakers and presentations and some text like, "Want to comment on this presentation?"
      I think this would be great along with the speakers themselves mention it at the start of the talk (for those who are forum-goers).
      Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Do we not already have this? I seem to recall linking to presentation discussion threads for every defcon audio and video rss. Those threads are not JUST for the audio and video discussion, but for the talks themselves. It's been on the forums for a really really long time.

https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124
        "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
          Do we not already have this? I seem to recall linking to presentation discussion threads for every defcon audio and video rss. Those threads are not JUST for the audio and video discussion, but for the talks themselves. It's been on the forums for a really really long time.

https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124
          This is a good point. Should we expand the existing forums to include the wider topics and suggested policies for when new user can contribute to those forums, and "test in production" with the established forums, or use this forum as a test, or keep the forums separate with different purposes?

This would include keeping this forum at the root level until this year's defcon content is to be archived, and then move to where the other forums (like the one you mention) are stored.

(Clicking on the quote to Chris' comment at the top of this thread should take you to the thread where this was a conversation, along with the features of such a forum were discussed.)

Thoughts? Comments?

I am happy to experiment and try new things. Anything that we try can be dropped if we don't like it. Nothing is set in stone.

Comment

This is a good point. Should we expand the existing forums to include the wider topics and suggested policies for when new user can contribute to those forums, and "test in production" with the established forums, or use this forum as a test, or keep the forums separate with different purposes?

This would include keeping this forum at the root level until this year's defcon content is to be archived, and then move to where the other forums (like the one you mention) are stored.

(Clicking on the quote to Chris' comment at the top of this thread should take you to the thread where this was a conversation, along with the features of such a forum were discussed.)

Thoughts? Comments?

I am happy to experiment and try new things. Anything that we try can be dropped if we don't like it. Nothing is set in stone.

K, I'm starting to build the RSS feed for materials, then I'll proceed with a/v but I need a discussion URL to include. Normally, I've just used the forum folder for DEF CON X Content, but there is no DEF CON 21 Thread in there as of yet. I think we should relocate this thread to that folder and proceed with that every year.

Example:

Forum: Past Defcon Content
            DEF CON ** Content discussion
            -This thread- <- You guys decide what your policies are regarding that, and start a new one evey year.

You guys can decide if you want to open it up to lurkers or not, honestly I'm not that invested in making changes to what is already (presumably) going well. But i'd like Presentation Discussions to be included in that folder so I can just link to the main thing and anyone who goes there can proceed from there.

Make sense? If it's not, it's okay to point out when I'm being an idiot.

TL/DR I need a url to point to asap for the feeds.
            "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

TL/DR I need a url to point to asap for the feeds.
              Ehhh F**K it, I'll just use: https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124 from now on. People can then navigate to the subforum of their choice.
              "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Ehhh F**K it, I'll just use: https://forum.defcon.org/forumdisplay.php?f=124 from now on. People can then navigate to the subforum of their choice.
                Ok, it ha been added. We don't have any rules about not swearing or using vulgar language on the forums.. feel free to use it.

Comment

Working...
                X