Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have what it takes to Crash and Compile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have what it takes to Crash and Compile?

"A programming contest crossed with a drinking game. What can possibly go wrong?"

While we're still waiting on the official list of approved contests to be announced, we want to at least announce our intentions on bringing Crash and Compile back for it's fourth year at DEF CON 21.

Crash And Compile is a ACM-style programming contest crossed with a drinking game, where teams of two people try to solve as many programming problems as they can. As teams compile and run their programs, each time their code fails to compile, produces the incorrect output or segfaults, the team must drink. Meanwhile, our lovely Team Distraction will be doing what they can to make the job of programming while intoxicated all the more difficult and/or enjoyable.

This year things are a little different, as the contest is under new management. By who you ask? You might know them as the team who turned a PDP-11/23 into a robot last year, and as the team who in previous years chose to program in random languages (many of which they didn't know) by marking them on the faces of basketball sized metal dice. Yes, this year Crash and Compile is being brought to you by The Psychoholics.

Do you think you can code? Do think you can code while drinking, and while distracted by the loveliest of lovelies? Do you have what it takes to Crash and Compile?

Like last year, we'll be holding a pre-qualification round closer to DEF CON. This thread is mostly for questions, teams expressing their interest in competing, and general shit talking.

A quick run down of the contest:

The Teams:
    - 9 Competing teams of one or two contestants each.
    - 1 Sober team, Team Control Group
    - 1 Team Distraction

The Rules:
    - The 10 Programming teams get an ACM Programming Contest style programming challenge and have 45 minutes to get the correct output.
    - If it doesn't compile, take a drink.
    - If it compiles but doesn't run, take a drink.
    - If it runs but doesn't produce the right output, take a drink.
    Lather, rinse, repeat until you can't see the terminal anymore or until they kick us out at the end of the night. Typically, we get about 4 or 5 programs in.

Scoring is as follows:
    - The first team to get the correct output gets 3 points, everyone else takes a drink.
    - The second team gets 2 points, everyone still programming takes a drink.
    - The third team gets 1 point, everyone still programming is probably drunk already, but they still take a drink.
    - If any Competing team finishes before Team Control Group, they get 1 extra point, and everyone still working gets an extra drink. (Unfortunately, by their vary nature, TCG doesn't get scored.)
    - Any unclaimed points at the end of the 45 minute round go to Team Distraction.

Expect more details to follow, but this will get things started. Feel free to post here or contact me if you have any questions.
    perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'

Re: Do you have what it takes to Crash and Compile?

We're getting close to pre-qualifications. Expect to see registration open up here soon. Like last year, we're going to have a timed programming challenge which if you do well at, will earn you a space in the competition. I'm working on rewriting the auto-grader as we speak, so if you have any thoughts on that from last year, I would be happy to hear them. The Psychoholics are excited about running the contest this year, and hope you are looking forward to DEF CON as much as we are.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, or you can email me at krux @ psychoholics.org

Comment

0xdecaf is excited to be back for this contest this year, perhaps with a team name change! Bring it!

Comment

Should be a fun time. We're working on some really fun programming challenges, so bring you're brains along with your programming skills. And you might want to pack an extra liver.

The real question is: can the remote-controlled, mobile PDP be topped?

ABBAAABBAAABBAAABBAA AABAABABABAABAABAAABBBAAAABBBAABBABAABAA ABABBABBBABABABAABAABAABA AAAABAAAAAAAABAABBBAABBABABAAAAAAAAABBAB

Comment

Originally posted by PunkAB View Post
          ABBAAABBAAABBAAABBAA AABAABABABAABAABAAABBBAAAABBBAABBABAABAA ABABBABBBABABABAABAABAABA AAAABAAAAAAAABAABBBAABBABABAAAAAAAAABBAB
          BBAAABABAAABBAAABBAAABBAAABBAAABBAAABBAAABBAA

Comment

Originally posted by PunkAB View Post
            The real question is: can the remote-controlled, mobile PDP be topped?
            Nomad will be there this year as well.

Comment

So I hear team Frink Rules is releasing a new version of their awesome Crash and Compile killing programming language Frink before DEFCON. Hmm... makes you think they are up to something.

Comment

Since the Psychoholics are picking up the torch for this year's contest, will the d20 of programming languages mean bonus points for us?

Comment

Originally posted by cab105 View Post
                  Since the Psychoholics are picking up the torch for this year's contest, will the d20 of programming languages mean bonus points for us?
                  I'm working on writing the scoring system right now. I'll be sure to put in the ability to give "bonus points". It's up to Krux et al as to how they want to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigs View Post
                    I'm working on writing the scoring system right now. I'll be sure to put in the ability to give "bonus points". It's up to Krux et al as to how they want to use it.
                    The grader doesn't support all the languages on the d20 yet. But we were thinking that some style points would be rewarded to those teams deserving of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X